Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
role of social worker

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

role of social worker

i have been in treatment for a very long time for major depression. i have recently started cutting myself. my dr. has requested that i see his social worker on my next visit. what role does a social worker play in the psychiatric setting. i thought social woekers were mainly for abuse and neglect investigating and assisting in arranging long term care for the elderly. please help me have a better understanding so that i can know what to expect. right now i don't know what to think. thanks  looney tunes
Social workers are trained counselors and diagnosticians. They can help you deal with your depressions and cutting in relationship to the life issues you are coping with while your doctor manages the medications.

You are fortunate that your doctor can make that resource available to you.