Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
serzone

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

serzone

My Dr. just put me on serzone for my anxiety/panic. I was trying Paxil but was afraid of all the side effects that i have read about. (weight gain, sexual disfunction,etc)
Is this effective for anxiety?  I know paxil has actually been approved for it and serzone has not. (yet)
Also, I have been taking Xanax for panic attacks and read on the little brocure that you shouldn't  take Xanax with the serzone, that it intensifies the Xanax effect.  If I take half the amount of Xanax that i usually take would that be alright?
Thank you for your time.
Dear Kathy

Serzone (Nefozodone) is a medication that has been approved for the treatment of depression. Clinical reports indicate that Serzone may be an effective treatment for depression accompanied by anxiety disorders such as panic disorder, Obsessive Compulsive disorder etc. When Serzone and Xanax are taken together, Xanax levels are increased by approximately 2 fold. So it is recommended to reduce the Xanax dosage by 50% if it administered along with Serzone.

I would recommend that you discuss with your Physician/ Psychiatrist in detail about your concerns. I hope this information is helpful to you