Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
tolerance

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

tolerance

Ive suffered from anxiety for years and tried many things.  The only thing that seemed to help was klonopin taken once or twice a weak for a year now.  At first .5 mg would wipe out anxiety for an entire day and allowed me to be completely relaxed and just feel normal.  Now i take 1mg twice a week and on those days it just doesnt seem to be working as well anymore.  My psychiatrist says that tolerance cannot develop taking it only once or twice a week.  My questions would be 1) Can it be tolerance from once or twice per week
2) anything i can take or do to reverse it
3)will taking some time off restore the effectiveness of klonopin

Thanks,
    Paul
Hello.

Tolerance develops with continued use over a period of time. Once a week dosing is not likely to lead to tolerance. Klonopin is a Benzodiazepine. Benzodiazepines are not recommended for long term use. The effectiveness is known to reduce after a period of time. Anti-depressants, especially the SSRI group are usually preferred. You might consider going back to the old dosage and talk with your doctor about adding an anti-depressant. Since this doesn't look like a tolerance issue, you may have to focus on efforts to increase the efficacy by taking a daily dose. You may think about tapering it off later, with your doctor's review. And taking some time off doesn't seem to be of help here.

A combination of anti-depressants and therapy works well for a lot of individuals. You may consider therapy along with medication, if you haven't already.