Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
tolerance
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

tolerance

Ive suffered from anxiety for years and tried many things.  The only thing that seemed to help was klonopin taken once or twice a weak for a year now.  At first .5 mg would wipe out anxiety for an entire day and allowed me to be completely relaxed and just feel normal.  Now i take 1mg twice a week and on those days it just doesnt seem to be working as well anymore.  My psychiatrist says that tolerance cannot develop taking it only once or twice a week.  My questions would be 1) Can it be tolerance from once or twice per week
2) anything i can take or do to reverse it
3)will taking some time off restore the effectiveness of klonopin

Thanks,
    Paul
Related Discussions
368886_tn?1278962315
Hello.

Tolerance develops with continued use over a period of time. Once a week dosing is not likely to lead to tolerance. Klonopin is a Benzodiazepine. Benzodiazepines are not recommended for long term use. The effectiveness is known to reduce after a period of time. Anti-depressants, especially the SSRI group are usually preferred. You might consider going back to the old dosage and talk with your doctor about adding an anti-depressant. Since this doesn't look like a tolerance issue, you may have to focus on efforts to increase the efficacy by taking a daily dose. You may think about tapering it off later, with your doctor's review. And taking some time off doesn't seem to be of help here.

A combination of anti-depressants and therapy works well for a lot of individuals. You may consider therapy along with medication, if you haven't already.

Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979