Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
trazodone and nausea

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

trazodone and nausea

I have been having bouts of nausea and dry heaves for almost four months.  I saw a gastroenterologist who did a bunch of tests and diagnosed me with galballder (emptying) problems.  I had my galbladeer removed but the symptoms have persisted.  My dad read an article about the cumlative effect of anti-deperessants sometimes manifesting as gastrointestinal problems.  Is it possible that the Trazodone I'm taking is the problem?  I've been taking Trazodone for three years in increasing doses -- started at 50mg/day as an addition to 200 mg/day of Zoloft to help with sleep.  I stopped taking Zoloft and incresed my Trazodone to 200 mg/day.  In the last month or so I have weaned myself to 150 mg/day in hopes that the symptoms would abate.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

_
Dear Lara;
Desyrel (Trazodone) is a type of antidepressant that acts by inhibiting serotonin reuptake but is not related to other antidepressants.  The average dose given to patients is 200mg.-600mg./day.  It is still a question whether Trazodone is as effective as the other antidepressants or as a second-line agent for major depression.  The common side effects of Trazodone includes sedation, orthostatic hypotension, nausea, and vomiting.  You mentioned you have been taking 200 mg./day and have tapered to 150 mg./day.  Side effects may be lessened if the drug is taken in divided doses and with meals.  I would still encourage you, however, to discuss with your psychiatrist any changes that you make regarding you medications.
I hope this information was helpful. This however is for general educaiton purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice.
Keywords: Trazodone/Depresssion/Nausea/Heaves