Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
unconscious verbal outbursts
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

unconscious verbal outbursts

My boyfriend is 24 years old and has ADD. He also has a unconscious verbal situation where he talks to himself, especially while in the shower, saying things such as "You're a loser. No one likes you. You have no friends." He holds himself to a high standard and usually verbally puts himself down when something goes wrong or a memory from a previous experience occurs in his head and he thinks about how it could have gone better. He even did it on Sunday during out date-night where he called himself an *******. I asked why and he said he didn't know he did that but he remembered a time when something went wrong so he proceeded to talk to himself. The thing is is that he is unaware he is saying anything at all. I'm not seriously concerned but I would like to try to figure out why he unconsciously talks to himself and it always involves putting himself down.