Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
verbal auditory agnosia

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

verbal auditory agnosia

what is verbal auditory agnosia?  my 2 year old maby girl is sopposed tohave it and it is very confussing because she can talk but just 35-40 words at this point she shoiuld have around 400?  all i know is that she is unable or has difficulty understand spoken alnguage.  do you know haw to best treat a child her age for at least the emotional aspect of the language disorder she also has been noted as havind sensory integration and modulation problems and is unable to regulate her activity level?  any info would be apreciated thank you
Visual auditory agnosia is diffuculty in recognizing using her sense of sight and hearing.
My personal experience with childen her age shows that there is a wide range of what is "normal". Some children develop faster than other children and some a little bit slower.
You mention that she has difficulty understanding spoken language, I wonder if she has any hearing problems, if she does this needs to be addressed.
How is her social aspect of her development? Is she able to "communicate" with you at least nonverbally? Like pointing to milk or toys. Is she isolative in playing?
I would recommend working closely with her pediatrician to rule out any physical causes of her problem and address it as early as possible to prevent any bad outcome of her development.
-4 Comments
we have had my daughters ears checked 2 she has normal hearing in her left ear and difficulting localizing in her right ear but only at lower decibles at around 10 decibles.  she does have a siezure disorder of which her nuerologist admitted that could be part of her problem witht her verbal auditory agnosia  she was on track until she had her first siezure at 16 mo.  she does point at thinks she needs  or whants and ask whats that but doe not try to repeat what i say and she is a very soshable child.  would sighn language be a good idea for her maybe?
You should call your local school system. If you are in the USA, the federal government requires that all school systems provide early intervention programs for children who are at risk for later problems in school due to medical or other conditions that impact their ability to learn. The school system should have a Speech and Language Pathologist who is best qualified to help you determine if sign language will be helpful in her case. At your daughter's age they may even have a home-based program where they will come to see the two of you at home and involve you directly in her program. The sooner you hook up with them the better!
we already have her in sooner start but they have been of little help every time i need something infasct sigh language was disqused about three weaks ago but it did no good.  we are in speach theropy and are going to trsition her into the school systems at 3. she doe get ssi-disability, does any one know anything about this condition or the laws regarding ssi may be i can take a sigh class and use the money since it would benifit her is that leagal?  thanks for the suggestion jb
you should probably send her to special schools to teach her sighn language and you should take those classes with her and then you can cumminicate with her
You should make pictures of hands showing people how to sign.  We enjoy doing signlanuage.  We do it in class and sometimes we get in trouble.