Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
weight gain from medications
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

weight gain from medications

I currently take depakote 1000mg, seroqual 400xr, zoloft 250 mg and 1mg halodol . they cause me to eat more and I am over weight . I stand at 242 pounds and I'm approximately 5"6 tall. My doctor told me the culperate is probably the depakote and seroqual. are there alternatives for depakote and seroqual ?and does zoloft cause weight gain as well?
Related Discussions
368886_tn?1278962315
Hello.

As is true for other anti-depressants from the SSRI class (Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors), Zoloft is also known to induce weight gain, though lesser than a few others. You might want to discuss with your doctor about alternatives to Zoloft, such as Bupropion (Wellbutrin).

Depakote and Seroquel are also associated with weight gain. Depakote works as a mood stabilizer, and there are a few other options you can explore in this class of drugs.

Weight gain induced by anti-psychotics and mood stabilizers is best managed by exercise, diet control and behavioral modifications. You may have to weigh the risks (weight gain) against the benefits.

There are a few medicines that are known to be helpful in anti-psychotic associated weight gain. Some of these are Orlistat, Sibutramine and Diethylpropion. Please discuss these with your doctor.

You may have to discuss with your doctor about the alternatives to Depakote. There are a few alternatives to Seroquel, which do induce weight gain, but to a lesser extent. (e.g. - Risperidone). Your prescribing doctor can help you with the alternatives depending upon the need and efficacy.

Take care.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity