Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
zoloft - causes extreme apathy - life passes you by - how to avoid this...

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

zoloft - causes extreme apathy - life passes you by - how to avoid this
Zoloft caused such extreme apathy that the following changes in life choices occured.
With Zoloft I did not care to continue education - Without Zoloft I immedicately enrolled in several college courses.
With Zoloft the most mundane job seemed just fine - Without Zoloft I craved a more challenging and interesting job  teaching software.
With Zoloft having friends with chemical dependancy and perverse relationship problems seemed perfectly fine - Without Zoloft I did not feel comfortable including them into my circle of friends.
Now that I am off Zoloft I am struggling with depression and rage but the alternative is frightening.  I lost 8 years of my life on Zoloft basically watching TV and suffering rediculous relationship that dragged me down.
I am now trying diet, exercise, structured routine, talk therapy, angstrom size mineral supplements etc.
I am seeking non drug therapies.  I hear Rapid Eye Movement therapy has helped some people.  Also memory erase instantly helped a women we know. Would like any info on non drug help.
Thank you.
Concentrate on the talk therapy that helps you make the best decisions, and carry them out, so you can keep your life moving forward, and building and enjoying. Evolution gave you a brain capable of perspective and problem solving, use it, and drugs won't be necessary.
Yeah, I started to think zoloft is what caused that with me too.  Suddenly, all the stuff that I knew was bad for me I had a, "screw it" type attitude.  I just didn't care at all.  

Yeah I signed up for school today.  I now want to do everything like I came out of a coma.  
News flash - A friend of ours was desparate to get off her meds and found that omega 3 and I think 8 helped her alot.  I'm trying them.  Studies show it affects the brain in alot of healty ways.
Is it possible to find out what the other one is?  I know omega 3 is a fatty acid, but I really couldn't find anything on an "omega 8".  I'd appreciate it.  Thank you.
Actually, I went and bought a multi-omega pill from hi-health.  It has Omega-3, 6, and 9 in one capsule.  Took my first couple at dinner today along with a new multi-vitamen.  I'm going to start trying to eat a bit more healthy.
What was the reason for your doctor prescribing zoloft to you in the first place?  Kind of sounds to me like you were either a) not assessed properly to begin with or
b) having a really bad week when you went to the doctor for help.

Of course you may be an odd case in the sense that your brain chemicals only needed fine tuning, and the zoloft stimulated the brain chemistry to kick in again and thus you no longer needed it.

In any event, the medhelp. response is a good one and cover's pretty much everything I would have said:  Don't take meds. lightly.  If they are not helping, they are not needed.

Now get out there and live your life, and don't forget to stop and smell the roses whenever you get the chance.