Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
zyprexa withdrawal

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

zyprexa withdrawal

I am currently suffering from zyprexa withdrawal. I have terrible insomnia. Does anyone have any advice? I am interested to hear from others who got off zyprexa successfully, to find out how they did it and how long it took to recover.

thanks!
I hope others who have had the direct experience will respond, but the general guidelines are it seems to take two to three weeks of gradually coming back to yourself. What you have to be careful of is observing yourself too closely for when you do you tend to interpret the normal fluctuations as symptoms when in fact they are not symptoms, but rapidly changing states of mind that gradually become more integrated and less discrete.
I went cold turkey off zyprexa twice (I know, not smart)--here is what I have been experiencing:

-a feeling of slight pressure on my brain, as if there is sandpaper there

-my sleep cycle has been disrupted

-emotional blunting--can't feel any emotions except anxiety
I am reaserching information regarding Olanzaphine. My 18 year old friend recently got sectioned and got put on this stuff. I am concerned for her welbeing. I have read some fairly unfavorable side effects. She told me she didnt want to take it but the doctor, or staff thretened her with injections if she didnt take it oraly. Im not sure of her exact condition and am not in the best position to help but whats the best advice anyone can give, I read that this drug is for psycotic episodes, biporic depression, manic, hyper, situations and symptoms. She says she feels lost, away with the faries and really spaced out in general. This isnt the girl I know, and she says shes loosing herself.....Theres plenty of clarity behind the drug, is it helping her?
Zyprexa is a terrible drug, IMO. I was forced to take it, too. It can cause some scary side effects, most notably, tardive dyskenisia, where your muscles spasm uncontrollably. It can be permanent.
Hello, I'm a 29 year old feamale. Last year my doctor prescribed me Zyprexa for depression and anxiety and I felt great, better than ever before, but after taking this medication for almost six months I had to stop it due to the fact that it made me gain 28 pounds, my doctor stopped it cold turkey. For the last seven months I believe I have suffered from severe withdrawal symtoms (symptoms) to include: Daily nausea, (vommiting everyday), headaches and increased heart rate.  My doctor has discovered that I now have an underactive thyroid and I'm now taking thyroid medication.  My doctor has put me through extensive test to find the cause of my daily nausea/upset stomach. After going through 7 test now and no answers to the cause I'm wondering if I'm suffering from serious Zyprexa withdrawls. After researching Zyprexa side effects and withdrawl (withdrawal) systoms I'm not finding any as severe as mine.  If anyone has experienced anything like this before please let me know. I'm in desperate need for some answers.
hi, your symptoms do sound like zyprexa withdrawal, for sure. I have had similar symptoms
BTW, doctors are generally clueless about psychotropic drug withdrawals so you might want to educate the doctor so he won't pull people off cold turkey ever again-that's the worst way to go!
my son is taking prozac 1 a day with 2.5mg zyprexa daily can these two medications be taken together? he also drinks alcohol.but since he started the zyprexa his chronic nerve pain he has suffered for 7 years has disappeared!
Three and half yrs ago,I had a psycotic episode. I've been taking zyprexa since then, slowing getting off the medication. The higher the dosage i was on the sicker i felt more depressed couldn't concentrate, bad axienty gained about 40pnds and didn't have my period for almost a year. I felt totally sick with this medication. The highest dosage i was on was 10mg and gosh im glad to say im only taking 1.2mg every second day but i had to do it very slow. Just make sure when reducing this medication that u see a doctor and do it very slow don't cut it cold turkey.
i have been on zyprexa since summer 1998.  i had to take it in order to get to sleep as i have to take nardil and it gives me insomnia.  well it works great except i now weigh 265 pounds and i used to weigh 180, omg.  so i need to get off this med before i get diabetic.  well the only problem is i get horrible withdrawal symptoms like my brain is being sucked dry.  any suggestions?
is my 2nd day since i ran out zyprexa , i kinda took it prn i had a severe episode , and now i cant afford the reffil im on 20 mg is about 680 bucks so i need to wait for insurance to cover it 3 more days , but mannnn in 2 days no sleep , feeling like after u do cocaine , bad dirty , well like hell , ok i go try to rest sleep i dont think so ,
alex

I have been on Zyprexa for five years, since I was almost 16. I gained a lot of weight, but it was very good because I was anorexic before and I finally had to accept a normal female body (taking zyprexa made me SO hungry that I finally realized I can't live without food anymore. I had reached that stage in Anorexia where the literal meaning of the word applied: I didn't feel any hunger anymore. I became kind of inhuman. When I became hungry again, my stomach actually felt like recovering! and I had the mental/emotional ability to do so, and to handle the feeling of "betraying myself" and identifying it as false. In my case it WAS the eating that gained me the pounds, not just ingesting the pill...I think that many people blame the pill without realizing that those times when we feel like eating the cupboards clean (and we do just that) is the reason for the weight gain...but then, it's such a powerful drug, it might actually mess with the thyroid? I don't know). That side-effect, with the combination of what it's supposed to do (lessen psychosis/delusions/anxiety), allowed me to calm down, come back to myself (for the first time!) and function. It DID take a while to get used to (a number of months for full-effect). Now, the very bad thing that I've done all throughout my years on Zyprexa was to decide to not take it anymore, on a whim. My mentality was: "okay, okay, now that I've acquired this wisdom about myself through the drug...I think that's enough, that's all I need to fly in this life...so...goodbye, Zyprexa!" And I was off, cold turkey. I would say I've done that about...6 times. But I always go back, because of the withdrawal+the realization that it has something in it that I NEED to function. Everytime I get off of it, I become a different person who is not someone I want to be. I recently got off for close to 2 months...until I got so sick I felt I was dying, I couldn't even function at work, it was embarrassing, I finally was shivering so bad and feeling hot-flashes+chills and dizziness and everything juuust-fffelllt-weeeiirrrd....I couldn't understand simple things, I was exhausted but I couldn't sleep, my heart was racing, my back hurt, I felt my chest was caving in and I couldn't breathe...and all my anxiety returned and I just went under so fast (felt like I did before I ever went on the med...but worse). Finally, I went into the bathroom and needed to vomit (I don't vomit easily, so it was the pinacle of unwellness for me) and then I decided I couldn't take it anymore so I nibbled off half a Zyprexa (2.5 for me) and within 5 minutes I stopped feeling so cold, and I was able to calm down, and my thoughts made sense again. It was interesting because my brothers and mom saw me shaking and gasping on the couch and not being okay with the slightest noise (I was convinced that everyone was trying to annoy me...I seriously turned into a mega-***** and was very interpersonally paranoid)then I went into my room...and fifteen minutes later I came out and completely normal again. Needless to say, they noticed the difference and were glad to have me back again. I felt shaky...but I'd just put myself through a lot of unnecessary pain for the past two months. I wanted to find out if I still needed it, and if I was well enough on my own natural chemical balance...and I found out that I was not. It's nothing shameful to need a little (perscribed) pill for our well-being. Zyprexa may not be the right med for everyone...but I think that anyone who takes any anti-psychotic medication and knows he/she needs (down in your heart) then stay on it... Zyprexa is to me as Coumadin is to my friend Mohammad who requires it for his heart. And he told me that himself. I agree 100%. I won't waste anymore time with "checking to see if I still need it." It wastes time I don't have. When I'm on Zyprexa, I'm sharp, and insightful, patient, tolerant, happy and calm. Any genious I have in me (and we all have it) shines through and I can think. When I'm not on Zyprexa, my mind feels blank but buzzing with unwanted thoughts and confusion and exhaustion from being strung along by something out of my control...exhaustion from not even being productive, rather trying to hold onto sanity but always losing. And always being so defensive and aggitated, frantically unhappy and outwardly hysterical about anything I felt. It has been hard for me to accept that I need this medication, as I'm a proud person. But I fell into the care of the finest and most open-minded psychiatrist in Portland, who could really know me from the first session I had with him and could see the true Cheryl getting through during my worst times. He had faith in me. And I have more faith in his judgement now than I did when I was seeing him. I'm glad of every choice he made for me when I couldn't make it for myself. He had a vision of a healthy, brilliant and unique person, and his devotion to help me find myself as that person was amazing. Now I make all my own choices and make wonderful choices, except when I decide to get off Zyprexa. Exactly why I do it is a mystery. But, for everything I love and dream of and desire to be (me), I need to never do it again.
     Love, Cheryl
Zyprexa added about 30 pounds.  I've got teeth grinding and lip biting that are either due to long-term use of Zyprexa or Effexor or both as I took them concurrently.  I'm on Zoloft now and still have the same grinding and biting after 8 months.
I started Zyprexa 3 years ago, for psychotic symptoms of Bipolar disorder.  My psych doc initially put me on 5 mg's I was encouraged.  I thought it was going to be a good drug for me.  I immediately started to gain a little weight, I can stand this, I thought, I was pretty skinny.  My appetite started to increase.  It seemed to keep my head stable, for the most part, no episodes of mania.  But, slowly I was starting to notice some changes in my activity level, it was decreasing.  A once bubbly individual, I started spending more time sitting and staring. My family started to take notice.  I was eating more and more, and gaining more weight.  I had gained about 40 lbs in 3 months. My appetite was huge.. My racing thoughts were back, so my psych, decided to up my zyprexa to 10 mg's daily. I tried to lose the weight, with little success, at this point, I had gained 60 lbs , I tried to take myself off the zyprexa, with little success. I couldn't make it 2 days. I would experience psychological and physical w/d . So, I would always go back on it.  
I was pretty dependent on zyprexa to function... I went back to my psych, and manipulated him into giving me more zyprexa daily.. I felt I needed it, to sedate my day away.  At that point, that's all I wanted.  I was huge, and that much zyprexa had taken away all emotions, and feelings.  So, He upped it to 20 mg's daily.  To make a long story short, by the time I had had enough, I was taking 30-35 mg's daily, sleeping for 15 hours a day, and weighed 225lbs.  toghether, we deciede it was time to get off zyperxa.  I went through rapid detox, experiencing muscle aches, stomach cramps, headaches, severe anxiety, and rebound mania.  I have had protracted insomnia as well.  I still can't sleep as well 4 months later.  Those who say one can't go through zyprexa w/d, is mistaken, including my doc.  I'm losing the weight. I'm on new meds, and I'm encouraged...
I took Zyprexa for about 6 months to help treat mild anxiety with doses ranging from 5 to 15 mg. (this was in conjunction with 1,500 mg of Depakote that my doctor prescribed for bipolar.).  When I decided that Zyprexa did not seem to improve the anxiety, I gradually reduced the dose over several months, until I finally quit entirely just 2 weeks ago.  Since I stopped taking Zyprexa, I have experienced fairly severe anxiety on a daily basis. There are no other significant withdrawal symptoms.  This anxiety is much worse than the anxiety I experienced as a reason for taking the medication to begin with. I now seem to be worrying 24 hours a day.   Right now, I feel as though I could spend the entire day in bed, and I have on several days (not sleeping, just laying there being anxious).  Based on other people's experience, is this anxiety common?  Can I expect it to get better over the next few weeks?  I sure hope so.  I need reassurance. Anybody have some good news for me?
I took Zyprexa for about 6 months to help treat mild anxiety with doses ranging from 5 to 15 mg. (this was in conjunction with 1,500 mg of Depakote that my doctor prescribed for bipolar.). When I decided that Zyprexa did not seem to improve the anxiety, I gradually reduced the dose over several months, until I finally quit entirely just 2 weeks ago. Since I stopped taking Zyprexa, I have experienced fairly severe anxiety on a daily basis. There are no other significant withdrawal symptoms. This anxiety is much worse than the anxiety I experienced as a reason for taking the medication to begin with. I now seem to be worrying 24 hours a day. Right now, I feel as though I could spend the entire day in bed, and I have on several days (not sleeping, just laying there being anxious). Based on other people's experience, is this anxiety common? Can I expect it to get better over the next few weeks? I sure hope so. I need reassurance. Anybody have some good news for me?

Oh my god! I was given Zyprexa 10mg and told that I could not take less. I was never told anything other than thought disorder. Unlike everyone else when I started to gain wieght I simply stopped eating. I was down to eating one bowl of rice daily and water. I took myself off. I was tired all the time and I hated getting out of bed. I was not able to function on the medication and the MD would not hear of me getting off. I was on paxil too. When I stopped the zyprexa and took the paxil alone I felt a lot better. Now I am off both and barely keeping it together. Where I live I can only go to one place to get treatment (no Insurance.) I don't want to go back to that DR. but i have no choice. I refuse to take the zyprexa. I was relieved when I stopped. I could have a bowl movement naturally, I started to jog again and enrolled in school and got a fulltime job. I started to eat again. I never realized how much I missed food until I was off it.
I wanted to correct something from my above comment, i'm pretty sure i was taking 20 to 25 mg's not 30 to 35- it's confusing, everything was so hazy..
hey guys,
i feel like i'm going thru the worst ... i was on 5 mg zyprexa and 75 mg avanza. i felt like it wasn't doing anything for my head space [still manically depressed then thru the roof high] and i was just gaining weight like crazy. i put on 15 kilos in 2 months. the weight gain is making me skip meals [i haven't eaten anything in 2 days]. i can't sleep at night - i always wake up after a couple of hours of sleep with crazy, crazy intense dreams. i have now a really fast heart beat and my gp has prescribed blood pressure medicine. i felt that nothing my doctor was prescribing me was helping so i stopped taking everything. i just feel like i'm going outside of my head and sanity. it's good to hear that others have had similiar probs with the medication ... but our drs don't seem to be listening.
I was on Zyprexa for two months for mild anxiety.  It caused severe anxiety and I had to stop taking it.  For the past seven weeks since I stopped, I have experienced nausea, loss of appetite, and anxiety worse than before taking it.  When will these withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms stop?
It was first prescribed to me four years ago while experiencing a manic episode.  I tried stopping it three times and every time I would experience severe nausea and almost daily vomiting.  The last time I stopped, I asked my doctor to put me on again because I couldn
This is for Mrs Z, re. your problems with intense nausea and vomiting following withdrawal from zyprexa.

I am only on my eleventh day of withdrawal from zyprexa, and like you described, I am suffering severe nausea.  I'm very lucky that I haven't actually vomited, but I'm not eating much.

I had an anti-emetic called metaclopramide in my medicine cabinet, so I tried that, but it didn't work.

My family doctor has now told me that certain neurons in my brain that regulate appetite and nausea are absent as a result of 4 years of zyprexa.  He told me that they will rebuild, but that it will take time.  He suggested that two months sounds like a reasonable timeframe for this.  He insisted that this would definitely get better.  I hope he is right and I hope that this gives you hope too.

He also told me that typical anti-emetics will not work for this, because it is not a stomach problem, it is a problem with brain chemistry.  He told me that the only thing that would stop this nausea would be a traditional anti-psychotic drug like mellaril.  I have opted not to go for this, as I am already suffering from TD due to zyprexa and do not want to make it worse.

My doctor compared this type of intense nausea/vomiting to what people coming off drugs like cocaine go through (I think that's the drug he mentioned anyway).  Those people would take something like mellaril to calm it.  Apparently diazepam will also calm it slightly for some people, but I have tried this and it hasn't been of much help, I'm sad to say :(

I'm going to stick it out, but it is very hard.  I have to say that my family doctor (the one who has given me all this info) seems to understand this a lot better than my psychiatrist who prescribed me the medication.  I'll leave it at that!

~ Ouida
Ouida,

Your doctor sounds like a knowledgeable person.  I have been to several doctors for Zyprexa withdrawal and they all say there is no such thing.  However, I know otherwise.  I am now into my 8th week and it is getting better, but it has been rough.  I will never take that stuff again.
Oh, by the way, do you know where your doctor found that information?  I can't find anything on Zyprexa withdrawal, but your doctor sound like he knows what he's talking about.
rusty, I actually have no idea where he (my family doctor) gets his stuff!  I had a damaged knee back in December last year and he sounded as knowledgable as the consultant and more prepared to actually give explanations.  OTOH, that's not to say there'll be areas where he doesn't know it all ;)  But on the whole, he's a gem and I want to hold onto him if I can.  

There seems to be so little on zyprexa withdrawal on the Web.  That might be because it's a comparatively new drug, unlike say diazepam where the withdrawal info is probably everywhere!
ps. like you, I will NEVER touch this stuff again.  Ever.
My wife's family doctor has had her on Effexor for a couple or more years now.  A couple of months ago he has her complete a questionnaire which a month ago he announced to her that she's bipolar and needs to start taking Zyprexa.  She had been fine on the Effexor and Buspar but after 2 weeks of Zyprexa she's gone downhill quickly.  Nausea, vomiting, anxiety, everything that had long been under control suddenly comes to the surface.  His response?  Higher dosage of Zyprexa.  She decided to go cold turkey and get off the Zyprexa and for a week now she's feeling like a bag of dirt.  Anxiety is getting worse although most of the other **** has lessened.  Today however was a bad day.  Has anyone a better guess/answer as to how long these withdrawls will continue?  What the hell kind of a drug is this ****?  She has an appointment with her doc tomorrow when she will tell him that she stopped taking it.  He won't be pleased and will most likely respond that she should stop taking everything and focus on the Zyprexa.  This guy doesn't seem to be listening.  Any thoughts from anyone on this?  The Effexor and Buspar combination have been working but suddenly he wants her on Zyprexa and won't listen to her when she says that she is going backwards, nor forward.
Ryryry, I think that there is enough concern being expressed about the effects of Zyprexa now, that your wife would be quite justified in refusing to take it. First of all, it CAN cause TD, I know because it caused it in me. Secondly, it can cause huge weight gain. Thirdly, even the drug company itself cannot deny now that there is a link between Zyprexa and the sudden onset of TYPE I Diabetes (that's the type that people have to inject insulin for the rest of their lives for).  Finally, the withdrawals are horrendous are some, perhaps many people.

Could your doctor see a psychologist to assess whether she genuinely has bipolar disorder?  I'm no expert on this, but a questionnaire from a family doctor might not be the conclusive proof you need.  Also, there are also other drugs for bipolar: anti-convulsants such as carbamazepine and also lithium.  Your wife would have other drug options.  

Don't let your doctor talk you into this.  Your wife has rights, it's her brain and her health, and it's her right not to have it damaged.  It's a comparatively new drug, and a lot of doctors still don't fully understand these withdrawals and how bad they can be.  I think a lot still don't realise the effects of this drug on some people.

About the nausea:

My family doctor has now prescribed me a drug called "Domperidone" (aka, Motilium) for the nausea.  Thank god, it seems to be working but although it gets rid of the nausea, it doesn't seem to actually bring my appetite back.

It's impossible to say how long the withdrawals will last.  Some of it might depend on how long your wife was on the drug.  Can you find a different doctor, who might help prescribe something for the withdrawals? (eg. a sleeping drug for the short-term, some form of anti-nausea medication?  Some anti-nausea meds won't work on this and the ones that normally do are normally other anti-psychotics.  Domperidone seems to be a lot less risky than those for dystonic reactions.)
I'm glad to hear you found something for the nausea.  I still have some nausea, but not as bad.  I am now into week 10 of Zyprexa withdrawal and my appetite has returned.  There is hope.  I will ask my doc about the anti-nausea med you mentioned, but I still have a lot of anxiety, more than I had before taking Zyprexa.
Thanks Ouida for your response.  At times during the last couple of weeks my wife and I have found ourselves to be quite alone in what has been going on.  Your comments are greatly appreciated.

She visited with her family physician yesterday and he changed her meds.  At times I'm wondering if he is just going through a medical book trying to figure out what might work.  He now prescribed Risperdal (.5mg) as well as cutting her Effexor ER in half and suggested that she get off of the Buspar because it "doesn't work".  Fortunately he has referred her to a psychiatrist.  She saw one about ten years ago over a number of sessions and apparently he gave her a lot of advice and was quite helpful.  Then she saw another one about four years ago who was simply into pushing Prozac.  Given her/my concerns about the family physician's changing of her meds when everything seemed to be going well for her and his responses to her questions and concerns of Zyprexa we see this as a good move.  Oh, and his response when she expressed her fears of the Zyprexa withdrawl (withdrawal) that she was going through was to say that there are no withdrawl (withdrawal) symptons associated with Zyprexa.  Great advice!

Thank you again for your comments.

And has anyone any thoughts on Risperdal?  Have found little information about it so far although it does appear to be in the same family as Zyprexa which does raise a red flag for us.
I found a good book on psych drugs and their withdrawal.  It is "Your Drug May Be Your Problem" by Peter Breggin.  He talks about Zyprexa withdrawal, so those of us who know there is such a thing receive confirmation here.  You can probably get it from your local library.
Dear ryryry,

Tell your wife to stay far away from Risperdal. It is in the same family as zyprexa and carries the same problems. I think your wife is better off staying away from psychiatric drugs in general; everybody is. These doctors get nice perks from the drug companies for pushing these toxins.

I have a question for anybody out there--after my insomnia bout, I went back on the drug and have been tapering off more slowly, but what's happened is my sleep has gotten really weird. I fall asleep as if someone flicked a switch in my brain, and I have no dreams. Then when I wake up, it's as if another switch was flicked. I am instantly wide awake. And I never feel tired or that groggy feeling you get when you're first falling asleep or when you first wake up. It is very unpleasant. Can anyone else relate?

To anyone who reads this--STAY OFF ZYPREXA. IT IS BAD NEWS.
This is the 3rd time I've tried to get off of Zyprexa 5mg in the last 5 years.  I was originally put on it by a neurologist because of Post Traumatic Stress, Anxiety & Depression, but mainly because I wasn't sleeping.  I felt great while I took it and slept great.(He also has me on Zoloft) The doctor who put me on it told me to try to get off of it after a year.  I gradually cut back the dosage, but after about a week of being completely off the Zyprexa, the anxiety and pounding of my heart and severe insomnia were so intense, each time I would go back on the drug because I thought my original problems were back, only worse.  But after reading about Zyprexa withdrawal from all of you, I know that's what I'm going through. Just knowing is an encouragement. The only discouraging part is how long it may take to get through this since I've been on the drug for about 5 years.  I just pray with God's help I can get through it. I have just changed doctors and have not been to my new doctor about this, but if this gets any worse, I may have to approach him about it. He's a very young doctor, but maybe he knows something about Zyprexa withdrawal.
I am now going into my third month of complete withdrawal from Zyprexa.  I won't kid you but it has been extremely difficult.  My nausea and palpitations are getting better but I still awake several times at night.  I have been walking for 40 minutes each day and feel that that helps in addition to lots of prayer.  I don't think doctors understand this withdrawal, as they say there is no such thing as Zyprexa withdrawal.  I hope and pray you will improve.

Some people have found relief by going back on it and then tapering the dosage down.  I just want to be through with it for good.
Thank you for your comments.  I just don't know if I can manage on 2-3 hours of sleep a night.  Does this get any better?  I can't go to sleep because of the heart palpatations and when/if I do, I wake up 2-3 hours later and can't go back to sleep.  My husband is sleeping in another bedroom just so he can get some rest.  The more I think about it the more it terrifies me to think this could go on for a long time.  I feel so helpless.  I really want to be rid of the Zyprexa because of all the bad things I've heard about it causing diabetes and other bad things.  I'm on Weight Watchers and have lost 20 pounds, but taking the Zyprexa, it's been very difficult....it makes me crave sweets and want to eat constantly.  So that's just one of the reasons I want to get off of it, even though when I'm on it, I feel great and sleep great.  As you can tell, it's quite a battle right now to not just go back on the drug.  Pray for me as I will for you.
I just returned from a visit to my family doctor who is trying to help me with Zyprexa withdrawal.  He said I could take Xanax, but I don't want to trade one problem for another.  He gave me a scrip for Phenergal for the nausea, and to possibly help with sleep.  I think you will see improvement but it is difficult.
Thank you for your encouragement.  I have an appointment with my family doctor in the morning.  But in the mean time I have talked on line to someone else and they suggested that I came off of Zyprexa too fast and that I should go back on it and do a 10% reduction every 2-3 weeks?  How fast did you taper off?  Will this help with the symptoms, especially the insomnia--I just don't do well with no or little sleep.  I took a pill yesterday and slept great last night.  The person I talked to also said not to expect my family doctor to be much help, but I felt like I needed to at least let him know what my plans are.
Thanks for letting me whine to you.  It helps to know there are those out there that have gone through or are going through this.

Jo
I just stopped taking Zyprexa completely with no tapering because it caused bad side effects.  I think tapering is a better way to go, but I didn't have a choice.  I am so glad now that I am off it.  My nausea is almost gone but I still have some trouble sleeping.  I am fortunate I am able to take a small nap in the afternoon.  I have heard that many people who tried to stop had to go back on it and taper off.  Hopefully you can find a doctor to help you.
Hi--I just got back from the doctors office here. I had a great visit with him.  He really listened to me and understood what I had been going through.  He asked me how I felt while on the Zyprexa. Which I felt great.  I don't have any bad side effects while on it, only want to eat more-especially sweets, but I guess that's something I can deal with.  He asked me how I did on 1/2 of the 5 mg pill.  I did fine on 1/2.  (They make a 2.5mg pill also).  He said he had never heard of anyone on that low of a dose, (neither 5mg or 2.5mg), having any problems with diabetes or any muscular disorder.  That usually only happens on people taking a much higher dose.  He also said that it is not unheard of to be put on Zyprexa for the problems I was having 5 years ago, especially since nothing else was working.  He said if I want to get off of it, though, to go very, very slowly, but he did not have a problem with me staying on 2.5mg indefinitely.  He was very supportive and very encouraging.  He was elated that I had lost 25 pounds since the first of May.  He said if a person loses 25 pounds in a YEAR that was great, so I was encouraged about that as well.  Everything else checked out great.  My blood pressure was 118/75, but I've never had any problem with blood pressure.  It was a very good doctor visit.  I feel so much better about the Zyprexa now, so for now I will just stay on the 2.5mg a day.   I may eventually try the 10% reduction.  My doctor had no problem with that.  I guess I just went a little overboard on my reaction to hearing and reading about the dangers of Zyprexa.  I realize now there can be SOMEONE who has had a bad thing happen from just about any medicine.  I overreacted, I know.  I do that some times.  (I really like my new doctor.)
I have been reading these forums, as I've decided that during the summer holidays I'm going to taper off Zyprexa myself, so I've been researching and taking notes etc. And I'm going to talk to my Psych about it first. But I have a question:

I've always, I believe and from research have had depression episodes or problems with depression. But I don't ever remember having had slightly manic episodes. Not the extreme kind, just feeling very euphoric and like everything is beautiful. So my question is.

Has anyone when they started taking Zyprexa had problems like these come up stronger then before? I know Zyprexa is supposed to treat stuff like this, I was just wondering if Zyprexa could be part of my problem as well?

I'm predisposed to have manic depression or a slight case of it as my mum's mother had it. But I don't remember it being this strong before. So yeah, I just wondered if Zyprexa was making me more bipolar rather then helping.
Ok, sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to add that the reason I'm planning on tapering off is because I have had weight problems myself since I got on this stuff, and the more I read about withdrawals the more I itentify with some of the other stuff too.
I've been on zyprexa for eight years, I really want to stop it, but it seems like My body is addicted to it. When I first started taking it I gained fifty pounds in three months. Since then I have lost the weight, most of this was due to an unchosen low calorie diet, and exercise. Exercise is still a huge part of my lifestyle as is proper nutrition, in fact I currently am a fitness consultant for a gym. I am worried because of its effect on my liver, and the risk of diabetes, because my family tends to develop diabetes as they get older. Besides that I also take supplements that I am not sure how they are interacting in my body, especially my liver. Anyways, If you can just take small steps to exercise and avoid the binge eating, (which I did alot of when I began it) You can lose the weight. If anyone knows how to function and work while going through withdrawls, please say something. I find I get nauseated, can't sleep, of think in complete sentances when I try to go off of it. I realize these arent' symptoms, but damn, how do we get off of this stuff? By the way mine was originally prescribed for Schizo-affective disorder, which they have since changed to PTSD.
Look up "Gwen Olsen" on youtube or google video.
It a bad tablet somehow get off it
I use avanza now Takes about 4 weeks to adjust
so just relax. It can make you feel like your in a catatonic state for about 2 weeks or more
I have major depression tryed almost everything
even been to the black dog institute. Treatment of Tdcs on the temples. Helped a bit!
I'm writting a book so next year it will be out
be sure to remember my name Wendy.kaszubowski