Depression: Support For Families Community
20yr sister depressed, parents struggling

This patient support community is for anyone with a loved one that suffers from depression, Bipolar Disorder, panic attacks, generalized anxiety, or any other mental health issues or mood disorders.

Hello everyone, I was hoping I could get some advice. My twin sister has been struggling at university for the past couple of years, progressively getting worse as time went on.

She's now dropped out with 6 months left and moved back home with my parents. They're finding it very difficult with her as she is being incredibly moody (even worse than she used to be), angry, refusing to talk to them about anything, lazy, messy and not bothering to find job or work for my mother.

She has been offered a job on a fishing boat for 6 weeks next Thursday that she has been wanting for a year to pay off her student loan, but now seems to not want to go or do anything else.

My mum in particular is finding it very upsetting and is of course blaming herself, and I don't know what i can do to help as Ive moved to the other side of the world.

I know where her depression has stemmed from, but I also know if nothing changes it's just going to get worse. How do you help someone who won't help themselves? What support and advice can I give my parents who are feeling very alone and lost?

Any advice is much appreciated, thank you.