Depression: Support For Families Community
Depression.....help

This patient support community is for anyone with a loved one that suffers from depression, Bipolar Disorder, panic attacks, generalized anxiety, or any other mental health issues or mood disorders.

Depression.....help

My husband is suffering from some very severe depressive episodes, and it is tearing us apart. I have no intention of leaving, I understand depression as a disease and know that he needs my support more than ever. The thing is, his episodes are becoming more frequent and more intense. During the episodes, he becomes almost mean to me, or he rejects me altogether. Meaning its almost like I do not exist. Normally I can be strong and not take it personal but it is beginning to wear on me. We are for the most part a very loving and affectionate couple, but the rejection during his episodes is causing insecurities that I have never experienced before. Also, We have a 4 year old daughter that it hasn't seemed to effect too much yet, but I am worried that it will. Does anyone out there have any advice for me?  
Hi!

Well I must say that it is nice that you are seeking advice for your husband and that you are one of those rare persons who understand depression and what it brings.

Depression really does alienate persons and unfortunately, mainly the persons in which we come in close contact with. I am happy to hear that you are being understanding and standing by your husband, he needs you and I commend you for being there. Your husband needs to get counseling and he also may need to go on some anti-depressants. I know some persons are really hesitant about meds for their depression, but it will just give him an extra boost. Encourage him and let him know that taking care of his emotional health is just as important as taking care of his physical health. Not only for him but for you and your daughter too.

I must also tell you to take care of YOU. Get some counseling yourself. It may seem silly as you are not the one who is depressed but sometimes we get so warped in taking care of someone else that our own health and life is ignored. Your husband is depressed and while you are being understanding, some of the things he is doing is hurtful to you and in turn you may also become depressed as well. It is not his fault but you have feelings and remember ALWAYS remember that you are important too.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Anna
Remain Strong, though it may be wearing on you, jsut rmebr that you are his back bone. As for your daughter she could be more effected then you think, though she may not show it, children are more aware then you think.