Mental health help
I have a family member in the Fort Lauderdale area on Medicare, but he's looking for any doctor. His Psychiatrist took away his xanax, gave him an antihistamine to replace it. He's on an antidepressant and xanax for years, in his 70's, suffers with a mental illness that if he doesn't get sleep has in the past ended up hospitalized with paranoid,, delusional, depression. He can't find a doctor to help him. The abrupt cut off of xanax is already throwing him into a mental state. He's been unable to find a Psychiatrist that will prescribe the xanax and doesn't know what to do. I'm in another state, can't do much but talk to him. Can anyone give me advise, are they doing this throughout the state of Florida and how can a doctor just cut him off like that, he never abuses them, just takes what he needs to sleep and control panic attacks. Any impute would be appreciated. Feeling helpless.
This is not good, caring practice for any pscychiatrist to do this. One must be tapered down on Xanax, not just quit cold turkey. He should get his records from his previous pscy that prescribed these meds. Also there are other anxiety meds he can take. When you have been on an anxiety med for that many years you tend to need more to give you the same effect. The dr should have tapered him no doubt. The new med he gave him could be Visteral. Although it has antihistamine properties it is prescribed as an anxiety med. The  doc may have his reasons for discontinuing the Xanax. We don't know. I wouldn't quit looking for a new pscychiatrist though. One would think there has to be one out there to help him. I hope he gets thru the withdrawals okay. It can be very tough. Hopefully he can find a pscychiatrist quickly to put him back on Xanax and then taper him down and possibly find another med if the Visteral (I think that's what it is) doesn't work. Hope this helps.