Depression Community
Alcoholic?!?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Alcoholic?!?!

Hello everyone, ive posted a few things about me being depressed lately. I cry over anything and everything and i just dont know what to do anymore. Theres another problem though...i think. I went to a friends dinner for this almost like club thing he was joining with my fiance. Previously that day i had been upset and in the process of being at the dinner something got me upset even more. During that time i said to my fiance "oh my god, i need a drink". Now ive drank a few times but its just been with my family if we are having a gathering or with my fiance if we are at the house and ive never had more than one drink at a time (its sad how easy it is for me to get drunk...more than one drink is a bad idea for me). When i said that i didnt think anything of it....that was until now....ive never said because i was upset that i "needed" a drink, ive only wanted one and it was never a "needy" want just a "ok im at home or with fam so ill sit here and have a drink and have a good time with everyone". I started thinkinh about it and im realized that when i had that drink and got a little tipsy...that was the only time in the oast fee months when i wasnt upset or depressed and felt like my old self. Does this mean that i am an alcoholic, because it seems like the only things that helps now or makes me not completely depressed is drinking. A little family history....i come from a loooonnngggg line of alcoholics....a good 80% of my fam are alcoholics and several had been in rehab several times. I also said i wouldnt be one of them but now im worried...and soooo confused. I know this doesnt make a whole heck of a lot of sense but, does anyone have any thoughts or comments?!?! :(
Hi.......you're not an alcoholic, but due to your family history it's best that you avoid alcohol completely.  Alcohol makes us numb and this is why you felt better, but where the problem lies is in sobering up to reality and  having to deal with it all...so you drink again to escape.  This is how we become an alcoholic.  But you're not escaping at all, you're putting yourself in a downward spiral that will have you living your life from the bottom of a bottle with far worse issues than you have now...and it happens very quickly.  If you haven't sought help for your depression please do so.  There is so much help for you, and you will feel so much better.  You've seen so much with alcohol and now maybe you have a better understanding of how drinking can spiral out of control very easily and quickly.  Keep that promise to yourself and seek professional help to avoid turning to alcohol.  You're stronger than you know and it's wonderful that you see where this could lead, fortunately you can turn it right around.  We're always here for you, and I wish you all the best!.
Hello, I am sad to hear that you are having a hard time coping with these depression feelings. Have you been depressed for a long time? Are there specific reasons which cause you to go into a depressed state?

No. You are not an alcoholic but you are beginning to form an unhealthy pattern of using alcohol to ease the pain. Its quite common and very unhealthy. Many persons use alcohol to deal with worries or at least put it on the back burner for that particular moment, it gives the illusion that the situation is solved or it gives false hope that you need not worry. And while this seems magical and magnificent, it leads to grave trouble such as...alcoholism, being an alcoholic. This is how plenty people end up becoming alcoholics, they start out small, one or two drinks when they get stressed and pretty soon one or two drinks turn into three and four and so on. They find it hard to stop as they become addicted to the FEELING, the feeling of high, that all is right in the world. For you, the risk is higher as genetics are not in your favour right now.

Try alternative methods for dealing with your depression: therapy, medication, relaxation techniques which include a variety of activities. You may also join a club or sport, losing yourself in a hobby can be one of the greatest feelings you can get. You feel a sense of belonging as you are in the company of people who enjoy what you enjoy. Also doing something you are good at gives you the feeling of pride and accomplishment.

Please take good care.

Anna
suzannez222 commented on day 10 off Methodone ...
gymdandee Great Comment
lynnsee commented on lynnsee's status