Depression Community
Alternate for Citalopram

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Alternate for Citalopram

My mother's doctor prescribed this med..  My mother has never taken meds before her 75th birthday.  I don't want her taking this med with the side effects or with her being sleepy all day.  My father has alcoholic dementia and my mother needs to be ther for him.  

Is there an alternative med to help her with her depression?
There are alternatives, but I'm not so sure if a doctor could find one that doesn't have the same effects. Given that she is 75 she is not going to tolerate any antidepressant very well.

I guess you could ask the doctor about Welbutrin which is not as sedating as Citalopram.
Why was your mother prescribed this medication?  It is prescribed for many reasons, high blood pressure, anxiety, cluster headaches, and tremors.  It does have a break-in period, and low energy, and sleepiness are part of the break-in period, which can take up to 6 weeks.  I have never heard of it being prescribed for depression, but rather anxiety.  I think she needs to return to her doctor to re-evaluate this medication.  She is in a rough situation, to be 75 and having to care for your father, I can understand her depression.
It just Celexa mammo. You know, the SSRI. It's mainly prescribed for depression.

You might be thinking it's a benzo.
Thanks Hensley, thought I was responding to a question on Propanolol.....duh!
I take Celexa and im on my 4th month. I have depression and it works for me. I am tired a lot though and it makes you yawn a lot too. As far as other side effects I have been fine. Good luck!
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time