Amitriptyline Misery
I have been depressed for 5 years, almost 6 now. My illness has been very resistant to medical treatment. I have tried a variety of antidepressants and had no results. Now I have been on 150mg of amitriptyline for half a year. It has been THE WORST medication for me. This one has made my suicidal thoughts and overall depression even worse! I can feel my mood drop significantly when I miss a dose, and tapering off this medicine has been a nightmare. I recently saw my psychiatrist yesterday. We made a plan to slow down the tapering process by going down 10mg a week. Last night was my first dose of 140mg, and I really cannot tel if it is just the natural course of my overall illness or if it is making me worse again. Or what if it's just the medicine in general? I don't know if such a small change can even cause me to feel so awful. But, yesterday was an awful day and today is extremely horrible. Help? How do I get off this medication? It has been crazy difficult for me! And how can I tell if it is the dosage problem? Or if it's just the medicine in general? :(

Know that this class of meds isn't usually one of the more significant sources of withdrawal problems.  It's in an older class than the saris and saris, which pose the worst problems.  Doesn't mean you're not having a terrible time quitting, anyone can have a hard time quitting a drug, but it's possible it's something else going on.  I would ask, if this drug has been affecting you so adversely, why did you stay on it for 6 months?  I mean, if this drug from the beginning gave you these horrible thoughts and you were kept on it for this long, it would be no wonder you're feeling so awful by now given you started out not feeling so hot to begin with.  
Man, don't know what's going on, my computer keeps changing ssris and snris to saris.