Antidepressants (SSRIs) and weight gain

I switched from Fluoxetine to Citalopram about 6 months ago as the Fluoxetine was making me gain weight. Since I've been on Citalopram I've put on even more, and am now about 2 stone (14kg) heavier than I was before I started.

I don't want to come off ADs as they're helping me so much, but at the same time I don't know if I can cope with any more weight gain.

Has anyone experienced weight gain with certain antidepressants then been able to lose with a different one?

I'd really like to hear what other people's experiences have been.

Thanks!
Hello, I live in the UK too.  I am on Effexor, and it is the first anti-depressant I have been on that makes me gain weight.  Have you looked up on -line to see what it says about certain medications?  Mind you, Effexor also says you can lose weight.  I think it depends on the individual.

I am sure there are other people on here who may have taken anti-depressants and had weight loss.  I know if you ask doctor, they are no help. I suppose they are not interested if we gain weight.  
Hi Maddie

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, i've actually been trawling the internet for answers and there's a lot of conflicting information on which ADs cause weight gain / loss.

The trend seems to be that Wellbutrin (Bupropion) is the only one that has a higher rate of weight loss, but it;s not prescribed in the UK (I asked my GP for it and he'd never even heard of it).

I'm thinking of trying Sertraline (Zoloft) next.  And I've heard that Effexor does really make you gain weight.  It's so annoying!  You start to feel better on the meds but the weight gain can really make you feel worse.

Which other meds have you tried?

Love

Nathalie
Hello, I was on Zoloft for a few years, some time ago.   I don't remember gaining weight on it.  I have a relative who is on it and she is lovely and slim, so perhaps that will suit you.  The doctor changed me to Effexor, but I can't remember why now.  I think it is because it stops anxiety as well.

I have had depression for over 20 years, and was started on on e of the old tricyclics.  Some medications I had gave me bad side effects - especially Prozac.

Hope you find the right one for you.  As I am old, the weight gain does not bother me too much, but I sure am chubby!!

Hi there.
I have been on Citalopram since about August 2011. The side effect is actually weight loss with this AD but that is not always the case. In the past 3 years I have consistently been putting on weight which is very frustrating for me. Although it is something I have had to accept as part of getting better. I don't particularly cope well with weight gain either, but on approaching the doctors, they aren't much help.
If you know that your eating habits have not changed and don't reflect on the weight gain then it probably is the meds. Are you taking anything else which could be responsible for this?

I'm really sorry you're having to go through this. But the constant swapping and switching of meds might be doing more for your waist than it is for you moods. Consistency is very important.

I hope you find the right med for you, but all meds have their pesky side effects. It is something we must come to accept.
I've been taking  Citalopram for about 1yr and have also had weight grain despite my diet being the same and have increased my exercise..walking everywhere with the children and not using the car..It has all gone to my stomach. I easily look 7-8 months pregnant. So much so that  a work collegue made a comment. Very embarrising. I hate it, but not as much as if I wasn't taking the meds. I seem to expand every week, so much so, that I took a pregnancy test.Negative. It is so frustrating reading about the amount of people who seem to loose weight when taking this med.It has made me lack in confidence and I will not allow my husband too see my stomach, I hate it so much. (I have 5 children of varying ages, so my stomach was not a 6 pack to start with, but has never looked like this unless I was expecting.) Sorry I cannot be of more help.
I find this strange because I have lost weight since being on Citalopram.... It really is different for everyone though.