Depression Community
Breakup depression: how to beat it?

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Breakup depression: how to beat it?

After a touch breakup, how do you get back up?
Well, breakups are definitely rough.  There's no easy way to get through it...it's a grieving process like any other loss, and you have to allow yourself to go through the stages, you will feel sadness, anger, disbelief/denial...and eventually acceptance, which will allow you to finally move on.

The best thing you could do is to keep yourself busy...surround yourself with positive and supporrtive people, ignore the urge to self medicate with alcohol or drugs..and don't fall into the trap so many do, by rushing into a new relationship.  That's never healthy, as you need time to heal and reflect on the things that made the relationship fail, so you can learn from it for future relationships.  Don't just sit around and ruminate about the relationship...get out there and live your life.

If you cannot seem to emerge from the feelings of sadness, depression and anxiety after some time, then it's wise to seek professional help.  These things take time...so be kind to yourself and patient.  Accept that you'll feel sad for a time.

Best to you.
Heey thank you so much...
But what if he comes back again into your life before you got a chance to complete your grieving process...
I really want it to be over but its kinda hard to do when you see him everyday...

Its been 7days now.. I admit i drink a glass of wine every night just to help me sleep wen i really cant... Is that a bad growing habit?
I try to go out a lot to avoid thinking about it...
But its especially hard wen u re all alone.
As a result i ve gained weight from the countless icecream movi nights...
I am not big on alcohol but i can eat!!! Am i replacing sex with food?
Would it be too early for me now to get into a non serious relationship?
I've been through this. All you really have to do is not think about that person. Tell yourself everyday, "I'm fine. I'm going to be alright." Try not to do anything unreasonable, like cutting yourself. Ignore the sadness.
Hi there.  Sorry you are having a tough time dear.  I will tell you 7 days is not long so hang in there.

Some other things to do are to start a journal.  Write down your feelings whenever you have them as this is a good outlet.

Add daily exercise to your daily regime---  really really important.  Exercise releases our brain's natural happy chemical and is good for mind body and spirit.

While you may not feel like being with people, try to over schedule yourself a bit as it is a distraction to just be out and about.

As time goes on, please take this as an opportunity to have one sole focus---  you.  think about what you've always wanted to try or do.  now's the time.  

good luck sweetie (oh, and don't forget to indulge yourself a bit with some tlc)
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
KTowne commented on photo
KeeLolo commented on photo
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time