Depression Community
CYMBALTA and ALCOHOL

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

CYMBALTA and ALCOHOL

my son is now living with a new lady she is 43, they have only been together for a few months so really he doesn't know her all THAT well.
she recently began taking cymbalta saying she felt a little down(dx by a GP)...my sons concern is: abt the same time as begining this med. she started drinking heavily, he works long hours and has found her drunk most nights when he comes home. This cannot be good on this med. also she is showing signs of a personality change...from madly in love and wanting to get married just last month to this week saying I don't think this is gonna work...that totally floored him, he said its like she changed over night.
also the most troubling is last night she told him she felt like commiting suicide, it was when she was quite drunk so he doesn't know whether or not to take seriously...this morning when sober she had no recal of saying this.
Her dad committed suicide abt 15 yrs ago and thats what has my son concerned. could any of these behaviors be from the cymbalta????
I wouldn't say that it the Cymbalta that is causing her to drink more, but rather the depression that she is trying to self medicate with alcohol as a means to deal with her severe depression.

Obviously heavy drinking while on any antidepressant drug is not a good idea. You see, for depressed people like us alcohol is nothing but a liar. It gives us a temporary boost of numbness that is a relief to our pain, but in the end alcohol is simply a depressant drug, which counter acts the positive effects that any antidepressant drug may give us.

There is also the fact that she may have not been given a proper diagnosis of her mental health condition. She could be bi-polar, which Cymbalta alone will not correct.

I would advise her to seek her treatment from ONLY a board certified Psychiatrist. If she is now only seeing a regular MD then no question that her treatment will not be diagnosed or treated properly.
Swollentoe commented on photo
Swollentoe commented on photo
Bubulous, KTowne, and Pat1956100 commented on Shannon79's status