Depression Community
Calling all SSRI users! How long will it take to start losing weight ga...

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Calling all SSRI users! How long will it take to start losing weight gained from Lexapro / Cipralex?

Hi there,

I was on Cipralex for about 3 months and noticed a change in weight rather quickly. I quit immediately after discovering it was from the medication. It's been 2 months since I stopped. I've been researching like crazy but haven't found any real answers. How long did it take you to lose the weight you gained? Was it a matter of time? I have never had a problem losing weight until now and I am terrified that it will never come off. What if the meds changed me for good?!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Brittany
The medication induced changes in your metabolism and caused weight gain. Even if you are off the drug, your metabolism still need to adapt to a drug free system. This can be slow, and losing weight can be harder than gaining weight for certain individual.

Your condition is not permanent, the change in your metabolism is temporary unless you're at an age that would suggest a slower metabolism.

You should be careful with your calorie intakes, exercise and I think you will be doing just fine and your metabolism will return to normal and you will eventually lose weight.

M4
I had been on Cipralex for 2 years and never experienced any weight gain...the drug also made me sick when i stopped it and went back on it so my family doctor put me on zoloft. I hope you can find the answers your looking for! good luck!
KTowne uploaded a new photo
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
worried_canada joined this community
Welcome them!
Aug 22
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time