Depression Community
Can Lamictal help with depression and anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

My Psych nurse diagnosed me with depression (even though it felt like a lot of anxiety to me).  I tried Zoloft because I had success on it 4 yrs ago.  This time was awful.  After 4 weeks at 50 mg, I couldn't sit still, or stand up without jumping on my toes.  I felt mixed up, sad and anxious.  She said to quit the Zoloft immediately because she though it put me into a state of hypomania.  I was scared of withdrawals, so I weaned off Zoloft for 3 days, and felt much better.  In the meantime, I started taking Lamictal 25 mg.  My question is, will Lamictal help with the hyper state that Zoloft put me in (racing thoughts) and how long does it take.  I have finished my first week and feel the same, except my jumping leg has subsided (probably from discontinuing the Zoloft).  It seems Lamictal is good for depression, but I am afraid it will have the same effect Zoloft did on me.
P.S.  tried Lexapro once, too and had bad reaction
If you can't get in to discuss the effects with your doc right now, you can contact your pharmacist. I had lots of questions when I took meds and liked the way the pharmacist was easily accessible.

Anxiety and depression are increased when you aren't certain of the effects of your meds. Those 2 can go hand in hand, so the med may help both, but again, seek professional advice and you get more peace of mind.

Write back.
I see my doc on Friday. The pharmacist said Lamictal should help with the hypomania.  I am impatient because I have felt so bad for so long.  I was just wondering if anyone had personal experience with this.  
You came to the right place. If no one answers your post in a week, just reply to it yourself, and it goes to the top of the pile and the whole thread will be there for readers.
Good luck.
If you are having hypomania have you been diagnosed with bipolar? that would be the only time you are hypomanic. Lamictal helps with the depression, but it may need augmentation with an extra AD.  I would speak to your Pdoc or nurse, and find out what med you can go on for the hypo. It's probably important to see the pdoc. There are meds out there for hypomania like Seroquel or Lithium.
Lamictal is a mood stabilizer and is generally used for bipolar. Why not ask them if they changed or updated your diagnosis because in someone with bipolar anti-depressents can worsen mania. Lamictal is a good mood stabilizer and has a strong anti-depressent effect. The problem is it can be only be raised at a very slow rate so if you have symptoms in the meantime they might give you something else to keep things stable. Speak to your psychiatrist about what your diagnosis is and exactly how they intend to manage it and what available options are.
So far I have been diagnosed with Treatment Resistant Depression, leaning towards bipolar II.  It is strange because I am depressed feeling, and at the same time having other symptoms. As for the hypomania, she is saying it is very mild.  I just feel awful for only sleeping every other night, and the constant restlessness is driving me more nuts.  She gave me Xanax to use in the meantime and I take .5mg every 3rd night because I am afraid of addiction. The reason she chose the Lamictal is because I have had 2 bad reactions to AD and so has my Dad, so she thinks it is in the genes.  Going to see the doc tomorrow so I hope to see more postings, thanks for the advice
KTowne commented on Sheaby's status
15 mins ago
realjimmy commented on Derealization and Dep...
41 mins ago
realjimmy commented on My last attempt
45 mins ago