Can a depressive disorder be triggered by a flashback?
I recently experienced a vivid memory of feelings that I experienced in my childhood - feelings/experiences of rejection by a depressed older sibling (nobody knew she was depressed at the time; we recently found out that she may have been depressed for quite some time. we are now in our twenties). I had totally forgotten about those experiences, but since that day I revisited those memories, I've been experiencing feelings of sadness that I can't find a real reason for (though I know it's probably related to those memories). When I'm around people, I feel cheerful, but when I'm alone, like in the car, I suddenly feel empty and sad and I just want to stay alone.
Before I remembered these things about my childhood, I had been feeling consistently really great and optimistic. Things are going really well in my life and I have nothing to complain about, but I feel so strangely sad and empty whenever I'm alone. It's frustrating. I want to tell my friends, but at the same time, I really don't want to talk about it, because I know I wouldn't be able to give a substantial reason for how I'm feeling. I feel awkward when a close friend asks me how I'm doing, because there's nothing wrong - I'm just sad.

I don't want to be too quick to label this as "depression," and I know it's much too early to even think about it. It's only been five days since I've been feeling this way. I already did research on depression symptoms, so I know I'm not depressed. I don't need a diagnosis or anything. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should to? For now I am waiting it out, but I was wondering if it is heard of for things like this to be triggered by minor, non-traumatic childhood memories.
I would recommend seeing a counselor to talk about this and figure out what's going on.
hi there i think it can be anxiety. i reccomend you to just live your life how you have been living it....maybe you are scared to feel the way you did in your childhood and that little fear can make you feel confused or sad...i dont really think you need to see a counsler (sure it would help) but i reccomend you to just kinda stay busy. if u feel happy when your around people just hangout with someone...do you sometimes kind of think ahead...like your happy hving fun but you think about being alone later and you start to fear being alone later??? (do you get what im asking if not i can clarify it alittle)??