Depression Community
Can a drastic, impulsive haircut be considered self-mutilation?

A community of people suffering from Depression to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, counseling, and other management.

i'm pretty sure, in my case, it can... but i'd just like a second opinion... cuz i guess i'm... curious. i dont know if that's the right word, but i want to know.

well, for the past like year and a half, i've been basicaly hell-bent on growing my hair out to the point that i'd be sitting on it if i didnt move it out of the way. it was just past the waistband of my pants when i cut it. i always wore it in a braid, and that was the only time i could honestly *like* my hair. when it was down, i hated it. i couldnt stand the sight of it, but i was just too attached to cut it off. my dad always took every chance he could to tell me i needed it cut... and i always refused. but a few weeks ago i got an idea in my head to cut it, and i really didnt want to, but i convinced myself to get it done. i was scared, but i just told myself that i didnt deserve to have my hair so long, and that i'd be able to do stuff with it if i cut it all off. so i did. i chopped off over a foot and loved it. but now that the novelty is starting to fade, i find myself missing my familiar braid and wanting it back...

so that leaves us at the question, is what i've done considered self-mutilation?
[[i've also got a bit of a history of depression, and a few instances of cutting... one being painfully recent...]]
I recently cut my hair from being chest length to just below my ears.  It came in 1 thought of impulsiveness and I just did it without thinking it over. It is not self mutilation, but an impulse.  impulsive behaviour is really common in people with depression. Do you have a therapist? If not, i think you should talk to one.  They are great, nonjudgemental people who are there to listen and help you. Good luck
No, self-mutilation by definition has to actually involve physical harm to your body, like burning or cutting.  And even then it would be self-harm (not self-mutilation, which implies severe disfigurement) unless it was really extreme.  
This is what a doctor would call impulsive behaviour not self-harming behaviour, but because it's obviously behaviour that you're not happy with, it is a problem.  But it doesn't have to be self-harm to be a problem.  
You don't have to cut yourself to need help.  Seek help before you get to that stage again.  You really should find a health professional you trust, and the best way to do that is to see your doctor.  And if they're not helpful, see another or ask to be referred to someone else until you find someone who helps you.  There's no point in suffering on and on.  
no selfmutilation is actually doing damage to your body,like burning or cutting.
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
4 mins ago
KTowne Surgery AND Dameon's 6th b-... Comment
10356 commented on stilltrying1965's status
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time