Citalopram making me feel spaced out??
Have been on Citalopram 20mg for about 10 weeks but had my dose doubled to 40mg yesterday, is it normal for me to feel completely spaced out? Am feeling really doped up today, and am struggling to do anything, i know that i need the higher dose as the lower dose was having little effect on my moods in the last 2-3 weeks, i am extremely tense and am finding it difficult to relax, and having trouble sleeping.
i am worried that feeling this will affect how i am as a mother to my 4 month old baby, as well as my 2 older children, i am barely functioning today....Please help!
I dont know this drug.  But side effects like this are common and get better with time.  Your doctor should be able to give you something to help you in the mean time with sleep etc.  
Hi skram

Don't worry about the spaced out feeling.  I was on citalopram for about 18 months and when you increase it is common to get that feeling for a few days.  Coming off them also gives you the same side effect!

Citalopram is good for stress and anxiety, not so good for depression imho, I mention this because I saw your journal.  But then I am not a doctor, so this was just my personal experience.

If in a few weeks you are not feeling any benefit it may be worth seeing a different doctor who will take a fresh look at things.

thanks for your comments!!! am seeing the psyc in a few weeks and hopefully i will have some answers and maybe get properly medicated then?? just feeling a bit upside down at the mo iykwim? i think its the lack of energy that makes thigs worse, i feel completely useless, and then guilty when my husband comes home and i have done nothing all day when he has been slogging his guts out to provide a good life for us!!! i know that i will eventually come out of this state but its so frustrating waiting for it to happen!!
i am really trying to work on myself, not being so needy all the time, and am trying to control my temper but it catches me unawares and i just snap, or make a complete nuisance of myself!! i am completely frustrated and don't like who i am anymore
I have four kids aged 18 - 4.  The house should be in a mess with a four month old baby! please do not be so hard on yourself.  You need to get plenty of rest, things will improve with time.  Do a little bit, then pat yourself on the back.  You have your hands full with three kids, dont push yourself at all.

I know your husband is working hard, but look I'm back at work now and I actualy get a tea break, time off for lunch etc,  I didnt get that when I was at home with the kids!  You never stop.  You are doing a very important job there, be kind to yourself.
Take care
You have a condition which is not your fault. My goodness you have your plate full with your three children. Give the medication time maybe it will sort things out and you will be your cheery self again. We can be so hard on ourselves as mothers.
Buy ourself a nice little treat, maybe a nice dark chocolate. You deserve.