Depression Community
Constantly talking to myself in my head

A community of people suffering from Depression to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, counseling, and other management.

Constantly talking to myself in my head

I feel like I am going a little crazy and I can no longer remember what it was like to feel normal, does everyone talk to them selves in there head or is this the depression , I cant remember if I used to do it or not but I cant seem to switch it off its 24/7 so much so that when someone asks me something it takes me a while to focus on what they have said because my mind is already focused on what I am saying to myself? does this make sense. because of this the house seems really noisey I find it impossible and I just want to explode if the kids are talking and the tv is on and my thoughts are going I cant stand it. any comments
This is what I experience.  Besides depression, I also have a diagnosis of ADD.  

"Normal" people must have some of this too, because everybody talks about "self-talk" and whether what we say to ourselves is positive or negative.  I remember when I was young and seeing a psychologist, I made the suggestion that what I might need was to replace ugly childhood memories with better memories that I could go over instead of the unpleasant ruminations, and the therapist agreed.  We started fishing and hiking more and did what traveling we could afford.  

But I agree that it can be very distracting.  A low dose of amitriptyline slows it down for me and takes the edge off so I'm not so irritable with interruptions.  I will never enjoy noise, however.  
well i always considered this my OCD!!!! but i do have add too.... its miserable for me.... they can be any thoughts,but, of course in my case mostly highly depressing......

to me, this is such a normal habit that to hear someone ask about it is strange because ive been doing it my whole life...

Bingo! Yea dude, that is one of the symptoms of severe depression and anxiety.

Don't worry, your not going nuts, although it will make you feel as if you are.

When Severe Depression takes hold like that, the mind is in a constant race to evaluate what is happining to it. "why do I feel this way because everything is ok?" "why are my hands and body trembling, I'm not in danger?"

Over and over, you will cycle thru worry about stuff that has no real reason to pose fear, yet it causes fear just the same. In your rational mind you know these feelings and fear are completly without merit, yet it makes no difference.

It's like the mind is stuck in the mud, yet the wheels are spinning a mile a minute.
In fact with me it got so bad that at one point I had actually convinced myself that I was going insane. Thus I had planned my own death and how I would kill myself because I felt so ******.

Don't worry, your not going nuts, you will feel like you are, but your not. If you let it go untreated though it can have some pretty devistating effects on your life.

At my worst it was so bad that I couldn't even consentrate enough to read a childs book. It will eliminate any sence of concentration you have. Can't expect the brain to concentrate when all it can do is think about how horrible it feels.
Thank you all for your comments, I have been on antidepressents for 9 days now and I am definatley thinking clearer but I am buzzing my thoughts are not as I thought talking to myself they are talking like to a third party, I dont think anyone else is listning but its like I am having a conversation with someone else? I dont know what to think, I asked my friend and husband and they both looked at me a bit strange its like rehearsing a conversation I am going to have. I dont feel down anymore, I have had so much energy I have cleaned the house throughout, had a day in the garden and feel the best I have ever felt but the thinking is driving me crazy, I went out last night with a gang of friends and I couldnt speak much because I couldnt keep up with what they were saying because my voice is too loud in my head. I cant sleep without sleeping pills, the first couple of days I took them I fell asleep really quickly but kept waking up but fell straight to sleep again, now its taking longer to take affect my mind is buzzing and keep waking but I am not tired like I was two weeks ago. My mother inlaw says the antidepresents shouldnt be working this quickly.
I dont know what to think, I saw my doc but couldnt tell him about my thoughts because I felt like he would think Im going a bit mad, he thinks because I was so low the meds have mad me a little high and then they will settle and my mood will level out, I dont want that to happen because I feel good, I just dont like my mind as it is at the moment.

Does any of this make any sense
I do it as well, always have, its like a calming thing for me, reassurance when I find something angst ridden or stressful..I try to play devils advocate inside my mind.
Right now, I can't shut my thoughts off and its making things hard for me.
I'm withdrawaling off meds though, which I am trying to do myself, without dr help.

What drugs did you get put on? If its Effexor ( get off it) thats what i had and its hell to ween off.

I hope you feel better soon!
This is a subject that I was going to bring up but thought it would sound weird so i'm glad you found the courage to do so.  I have conversations in my head all the time with a third person and sometimes i have conversations with myself.  I can get very annoyed by external noise when this is happening.  Sometimes the conversations are quiet and sometimes they are loud.

I've always assumed that everyone must do it but have never dared ask in case they think i'm completely crazy.  Sometimes the conversations make me anxious and I almost talk myself into a panic if that makes sense other times it gives me confidence - its all a bit difficult to explain really.  My mind is never quiet.

I feel better knowing i'm not the only one.  
Thank you, thats exactly how I feel, sometimes it is quiet but then when surrounded by noise it gets louder, this is new for me, I have always talked to myself now and again but was able to watch tv or something and switch off when but now its 24/7 and I cant concentrate, it was soo crazy before I started taking the meds now it is clearer to me that I am talking to someone else, when I talk to myself it is different, I cant explain it very well but I know that during times it speeds up and then can slow down so I can understand and slightly concentrate on something else but I am finding it really hard. I cant remember feeling well for a long time so I am still trying to remember what I felt like before the depression set in but its hard because I think I may have been depressed for a very long time. Because it is driving me crazy I asked my friend, she said it was normal to talk to yourself now and again and when she was talking I realized that its not what I am experiencing, my husband just looked at me strange and again gave me the same senario that my friend gave me so thats why I posted here. Im still not sure if this is the depression because I can only remember a little before it, all I know is that it has got alot worse over the last couple of weeks and its really the only thing that is getting me down because when someone talks to me I cant keep up with the conversation and I come off rude or stupid. I dont know wether to talk to my GP about it Im not sure he can help but really need help to know how to switch it off.
Isnt it funny that we are all experiencing the same thing, but afraid to talk about it.  And it only takes the courage of one member to bring up the subject,and now we finally get to discuss it.  My conversations in my head get confusing because I wonder if people can tell by looking at me if Im talking to myself.  And I wonder, gosh, I hope my lips arent moving.  And sometimes I don't know if I've said something outloud or not.  My husband is always asking mewhat's wrong because I have a strange look on my face, but I can't say-"Oh, my brain is just talking"
I think its great that we are all talking about this to.

One problem I have with it all is when I have been having a conversation in my head and then think that i've actually had that conversation with a real person - my husband for instance or friends.  I will be very stubborn and say I did tell you because this is the conversation we had and they'll look at me and say that the conversation really didn't take place and then I get angry.  So sometimes its difficult to separate the two.

I've been doing it for as long as I can remember, I was brought up an only child and so had no siblings to talk to and I wonder if its just a habit that has stayed with me.

My husband is always saying what are you thinking or whats the matter.  He thinks its odd because he said that he can sit quietly and not be thinking about anything and he doesn't have conversations in his head.  Sometimes I try and verbalise the conversations and just looks at me real confused so I don't bother anymore.

Mind you i've always got someone to talk to even if it is myself :-)
You guys have made me feel heaps better.

My husband is the same he says he doesnt think or talk to himself unless he is really nervous about something and then hes just going over stuff in his head to prepare but generally he doesnt think of anything. That would be bliss

My husband always has asked me whats wrong are you ok, I find it a little annoying because then I have to go through the same conversation in my head again, it really is talking to a third party that much I know.

It has now become such a problem though because I cant switch off, the kids might be asking me something and if the tv is on I cant focus because I find my voice and the tv and any background noise is soo distracting I cant listen to what they are saying. Last night I had to leave a friends house because her fridge was so noisy I couldnt concentrate on a conversation, it seems to take me longer to focus and process what is going on around me, this maybe my meds I guess.

I also have problems with noise in my head. Sometimes it's like I can hear the electric current in appliances. It has got so bad with me that I can no-longer have anything electrical in my bedroom!
Have you talked to your doctor/pdoc about it?

Depression and Anxiety can certainly be causes but it could possibly be part of something more. It seems fairly well known through research that some anti-depressants can have the ability to produce hypomania or mixed state in people that are bipolar.
It could be worth your checking this out.
am so glad this has been brought up, i thought i was slightly potty, my hubby is very similar to bulldozers, i can ask him what he's thinking and he says "nothing", i don't get that, it is never quiet in my head!!! i can't imagine silence? i have full blown arguements in my head, with myself or another person. so glad to know i am not a complete loony!!!
S
The constant brain chatter is definitely the depression, nothing more, as I got better I found there were times I could silence it but it always restarts when you least need it to! It is normal too in severe depression to be hypersensitive to all stimuli- I discovered this in spades when I was at my worst...noise was the biggest offender, couldn't bear for TV or music to be on, and went nuts if more than one person spoke at once, but also bright lights, even colours, and smells, and at time touch/tactile experiences were too much..at one point I couldn't stand being touched by my kids which caused all sorts of negative thoughts internally, but it's just HYPERSENSITIVITY and it's a normal symptom of severe depression.
Hope this helps, x
Yes, I can difinately relate to what you are talking about.  With my experience, it's like Im talking to someone else, but in my mind.  It goes on constantly.  I become very irritated easily with things like my kids carrying on.  I used to love listening to music, but anymore I can't take it because there is so much noise going on inside my head that the outside noise or music or kids are just too much.

I never asked my doctor about it I think because I just thought it was normal.  That this is what they mean by "talking to yourself".  I also didn't mention it because when I see my doctor, I let the doctor ask the questions, and they just don't ask about this.

I have noticed recently, as my life has become extremely stressful, and my depression symptoms are raging full force, that the conversation I have with myself, is no longer words that are understandable, but more like multiple conversations or thoughts or worries all jumbled togeather to form this constant noise, if that makes any sense to you.  It's like my thoughts have become so jumbled that I can't concentrate on what Im doing or how I'm going to solve the problems I have created.

Truthfully, I don't know that I take much comfrort in the thought that there are others out there that have similar symptoms.  Whether or not I get the title of crazy is irrelivent (sp?) because no matter what you call it, there is something majorly wrong with me, that I have lived with for the majority of my life, in varying degrees and there doesn't seem to be any help for it.  The idea that there are many others out there with similar problems makes the situation seem somehow more hopeless.

Anyway, Im sorry I don't have any insight that may help your situation, but I definately do understand what you are describing.
I don't know what to do. I constantly talk to myself in my head and have these long conversatons and I can't make it stop. I also picture things happening or what i want to happen. Its like I picture little sanareos in my head. I also constantly think about what is going wrong in my life and I seem to focuss in on it. I do it during the day too, but at night when I try to go to sleep it gets worse. Its so bad that it takes me for ever to go to sleep. I can't make this go away and I can't take it anymore. Im tired of doing this constantly. Have I gone crazy or is this normal? How do I make this stop?
I too have this problem as well, it's getting very annoying. I went to see my doctor about a month ago because I was experiencing weird symptoms like if I was high on marijuna all the time which I also quit because of the symptoms. I felt like I didn't fully come down from the a high when I woke up the next day after a day of drinking and also snorting a couple of lines of cocaine. Everything seems brighter and larger now and I also have that inner voice in my head narrating my everyday life. I went to a Psychiatrist as well but he said It seemed like I had mild depression and anxiety and maybe the drugs just threw overboard what was already going to happen. Any suggestions?
i know the noise way to well . one time i was driving and it started. i really thought i was going crazy . i wanted to drive the car into something .
There is a great book i use for this titled Taming your Gremlin.
i feel so confused i never really noticed this before until about 8 months ago but all of a sudden i keep makin convasations in my head like i would see a stripy tshirt on telly then i would go to say bout zebras and if they are black with white stripes or white with black stripes then i would start singing micheal jacksons black or white song  and then i go to the kid from home alone because he sings the chorus and then i would imagine my self in the film home alone and how cool it would be. what is going on ?????  
im currently suffering this same thing as you guys and im scared to death. the conversations and voice in my head just started two weeks ago after smoking weed. Since then i havent felt the same. i ve been having constant anxiety attacks and with the worst attacks i have crazy thoughts that im going mad. i feel so alone in this and im always thinking to myself if im ever going to be "normal" again. i havent been told i was depressed but lately i feel like i am. i cant remember when was the last time i really laughed and felgt happiness. i feel so dead inside. Will i ever get better? WIll the voice and conversation in my head ever stop?
i always talk to myself and sometime it feel like i have 2 people in my mind and sometime when i question myself and i find it to be answer by myself as like i got second mind or something. for example when i write an essay i always stop and ask my self "hmm what next?"  and automatically i replied "how should i know!" or  "dont ask me" the thing is i didnt mean to answer it. that why sometimes i keep on talking to myself...it like conversation among two people in my head.
I have this problem very much now.  When I wake up, I am talking more loudly than usual and it takes me time to settle down.  I work at home so I am able to cope with my condition more than in an office environment, but I probably should take some medication in order to be more productive.  I think my situation became worse due to some surprises or unforeseen circumstances in my life.  I think psychological trauma contributes to this and you can't just work through the issue in a reasonable way.  That is my frustration.  It helps if you don't have too much stress on you, I think.
ive never heard anyone put it in this way before i feel exactly the same as you do. can i ask what meds uve been put on coz ive tried loads and none have worked so far
i can relate, i also have conversations in my head. it's like im talking to someone who isn't there. ill go through detailed scenarios over and over. its usualy about something that has happened in my past that I want to change.

i understand how you feel, its made me feel a little reassured knowing im not the only one.
Wow guys, i felt like everyone, and you guys just made me realize I was living a depression, I have no words to thank you all for your constructive comments and stories, i had no words to explain how i felt, this helped me a lot, now i can smile and my mind is clear. I hope the best for you all, thanks!!
Ur thoughts and ur decision are made from ur brain, its ur spirit talking to each other, that's how god created us, to solve this problem, take a look in any form of religion, ur choice will be more clear n easier....... There will be more and more people like us, when it get to next year.. Oh by the way drugs are not helping on the decision too.
I can't sleep at night. My mind raceis alot sometimes I can't fall alseep intill seven in the morning I talk to my self a lot and answer my own questions. I lose attention fast Cuz my mind is racing one hundred miles an hour. And it affects my work and I get nervous. I'm only twentyfour yearsold and when I do get eight hours of sleep. Ill still feel tired as hell what is wrong with me
Hi Missli221,

I am going through exactly the same thing as you. Your post was over a year ago and I hope you see this, but how are you now? Are you back to normal and if so how long did this take, what did you do?

I am a 21 year old male, who before struggling with this had a great life. I play/played rugby at a very high level. My friends and family are great, I don't really have money concerns. I was so happy, everything made me smile and laugh. A therapist said I was going through depression after anxiety and panic attacks from weed. I can't stop talking to myself in my head along with a list of other symptoms.
I just recently stopped smoking pot and I realized that I am having these crazy conversations in my head. Without knowing. It creeps me the hell out. its like there is another person in my head carrying through with the conversations. Is this what you are going through?
hey Voltron, i had anxiety attacks like a month ago and it started as me being scared of my heart to stop because it would beat so fast, then when i controlled that a little bit i started getting head aches, i started to feel as if i was going to go crazy i loved to play and watch sports and now i cant do anything or watch anything without haveing negative thoughts running threw my head like what if i cant controll it what will i do....it also started on me after i was smoking weed every day for about 3years i am 18 and this worrys me...have you got any help???or can someone please help??
yea it does i feel the same way you do. and i didnt want to turn to meds because i felt they would have a negative effect on me. so i was looking up different methods; like mind reconstruction, cognitive therapy. look up them type of methods im looking into and thinking about breaking and going to see a therapist.
hey yes wat you described is happening to me . i stopped smoking weed because i was lacking in my studies , it took some time for me to build my concentration, but i too have this constant talk to myself tape in my head which goes repeatedly and repeatedly on the same things, i thought it has something to do with the weed but since other people are also experiencing the same things widout smoking, i dont know wats going on. Is there any help or way of making things mild in my brain
during my childhood i was always having conversation in my mind latter in my late 20s i was diagnosed with schizoeffective disorder. i take madication, i am stable but my mind is always thinking, that was my main concern untill i start taking Glycine suppliment. 500mg changed my life, after taking all of a suden I notice i dont think anymore i can concentrate, watch tv without thinking or participate in conversation without thoughts bothering me.... my advise to all of you is you dont need to be mentall ill in order to take glycine. I highly recoment GLYCINE , its a amino acid works good, you can do your own research....
With me it is having conversations in my head & also I hear voices
could be one word coming continously in my head it is not Shizophrena
it is my evil sister in law doing voodoo black magic she told me & it is
so true when I ask people to do curse removal then I cannot hear any more words in my head but then the sister in law who is a grotesque big cow & is very jealous does send the voices back to my head.
Anyone having this I know it is Black Magic but would be a relief to know
sounds like OCD seraqil will help that.
I talk to myself a lot, which I think is perfectly normal, we all do it.  But I also catch myself having imaginary conversations about things.  Like I imagine what I would do or say to someone in a particular situation, only I end up saying it out loud.  I don't even realize I'm doing it sometimes in private, but at least I don't do it public, thank God.  Don't know if that's schizophrenia or what, but it bugs me.  I'd like to live in the real world.
I feel bad for you all and hope you all get help for your symptoms.  Some of you brought up something I wish more young people would be warned about:  that illegal drugs can sometimes cause a psychotic break.  Please, people, drugs are not worth all the risks.
Hi there. From what you're saying, it looks a lot like you're encountering someone else speaking to you. Ok now listen carefully because I'm not joking and I'm not here to make fun of someone. From my experience, your symptoms (Sorry my bad english) are the ones of those people starting a spiritual contact with being from other dimensions. You probably have many possibilities to be a medium. Has something particular in your life happened within the last year since when your symptoms started? Could have been something painful for you too. However, it is called Psychophony and there are thousands of thousands of people in the world being able to speak to "spirits" or "entities" . Have you tried to engage a conversation with these voices? Did you make any question to them? you should.  But I tell you, if you really want to find out if its just your Ego (So, might be something healable with our medicine)  or these voices do not come from you, you MUST accept the possibility that you might be in contact with spirits from other dimensions,  (maybe someone you loved who passed away)  , and after being aware that this IS a reality, and that would mean, having faith in that (do not involve religions in here, they are really of no importance when we speak about spirits)    you have to ask these voices all the questions that pop up in your mind. start a conversation with faith in their response...  I believe you are an intelligent person, so if you will get some stunning answer, you can be sure that you have opened your channel to the multi dimensional connession. Otherwise, if the answers you get are senseless or already known by you, well than it's your ego and only then i would suggest you to keep taking medicines....  Again my friend, sorry for my bad english. I found myself on this site by accident i was searching lyrics for a song and really misclicked the site, however, I really hope with my heart that my answer can be of some help to you.  Peace be with you!
I had to go to a drug and alcohol school for a ticket i got a while back. One day we the whole class was just kinda talkin cus there wasnt much to do that day, i dont remember why i brought it up but, i asked our "teacher/counselor" if he ever "thought" to himself, and he just laughed and said "NO, ha i dont talk to myself!" Like i was crazy. I would like to punch him in the face now. Thank you all....
I think its totally normal! Eberybody in reality is all alone in there head, so they decide bring another person into the equation totally made, who may be better then his actions! Eg i talk to myself to calm myself down! If am getting angery second person says why you tripping for then you reason with yaself that everything is fine, Its only a problem when your second person turns bad lol
Chill your heads peeps! Like someone its youre spirit and mind conflicting or conversating, the tv has programmed our minds but not our spirit.
How weird, I'm 21, from what I can remember as a young girl about 3 I've know that I've been probably thinking too much but to go and tell a friend or relative, they would think I'm mad. I've been feeling this kind of sadness for years now. I've kind of with drown myself from friends and family by bring quiet. Now that I want to talk it won't come out. Everything I want to say is trapped in my mind and won't come out. It's not a lack of confidence but something else.
I have the exact opposite problem... is talking to your self in your head not a normal thing??? I used to do it all the time, every waking hour.. now there's nothing.. I got in here by typing: "how to get talking back in your head" on google.. I seriously can't think a bright thought anymore... I did however almost become crazy by all that talking in there, so I tried focusing on shutting the talk up.. but now it seems it's never there.. and it seems I can't do anything to help it... also I feel like I'm going stupid or something... haven't read all the posts on this subject through yet, but I will in hope of some suggestion.. if somebody has some advice for me, then please help me.. I'm lost.  

I wanted to know how you are doing since you posted this in 2008. Did it get better?

I battle with this and I almost thought I was reading inside myself in your post.
what were the progressive steps you took to overcome this?

From
Cindy
Oh my gosh, yes.  Its ao distracting when I'm trying to pay attention to someone speaking to me or watching a movie,  etc.  For me I thinks its ocd and obsessive thouth processes
To jlfg I feel that same way as i'm walking down the street or am in class I often feel like I am making facial expressions or moving my lips. Its like an argument with someone but no ones there i.could never figure out how to explain what was going on. I often like people can tell what's going on
Hey ppl, i can relate to this totally. My "selftalk" varies from day to day, hour to hour, minute to minute. At its worst i get really irritable, i cant have a normal conversation, cant read, cant do anything normal. Luckily its not allways that bad, but too often it is and most of the time it is still crippling. I think i was allways prone to this, since i was a child, i was thinking a lot, "playing" with my thoughts and inner talk... I smoked and drank a lot in my teens and this increased. Finally i had a really bad trip on mushrooms, like reeeaaally bad, i was like sure i m gone insane and kinda. After this trip things got worse, like really bad, i started to have more symptoms. Took me a year or two to calm it down and kinda get it under control. Still this selftalk bothers me, but at least its content is not so devastateing. Talked to some psychiatrist, none of them did not belive in psychotherapy, just wanted to get me on meds. Tryed meds for a short period of time, decided i wont take it, i dont have enough trust in that people and meds.

Currently i am practiseing meditation, yoga and similar. Getting into stuff like "Evolve your brain" by Joe Dispenza, sports, gym, activities... Try reading this: "The power of Now"  by Eckhart Tolle... this book gave me a lot of deep answers.

Dont try to stop it, you cant beat your mind with your mind. You must go with the flow, accept it you must :). Imagine this "voice" in your head is not yours, its from the radio, de-identify from it. Learn to use your attention, it can be hard but you can do it. Move your attention for example on your hand, on the tree etc. The power of Now talks about this, and a heap of other masterpieces.

Ppl hang on in there, love you all !
I just want to add, i am not saying meds are bad, but i think meds can be bad sometimes and not every psychiatrist may help you. I myself will probably tryout some more meds or supplements. But in my eyes psycosis/neurosis/whatever is a sign that we need to change smth, the way we think, the way we sleep/eat/live, what we do, just anything. I would like to meet psychiatrist who will offer me meds as a supplement to psychoterapy, or have any plan of what do we do while taking meds. Meds should just allow you to work on your self and change your mind more easy, not as a permanent solution ofcourse.

Good luck my friends !
Cheers!
I think you are certainly not alone in this, to some extent I think everybody has at least some internal dialogue. With conditions such as anxiety, OCD, depression and bipolar then I think this is often amplified to points where it can be distinctly unhelpful. I used to have awful thoughts and images coming into my head, especially when talking to somebody. These made me doubt my own nature and it took me years to realize that what comes into your head does not have to be a desire, an intention or a reflection of who you are. I don't like to be dismissive about other people's faith but please don't pay much heed to people trying to tell you these are somehow spiritual, psychic etc. Like any aspect of 'normal' life (this can be for many people), mental health can affect how this is experienced. Don't worry about being mad either, 'voices in the head' is generally a misnomer aimed at people living with Schizophrenic type illness- voices are generally experienced as an audible sound so are therefore not in the head. I can't offer a solution but what I can say is don't blame yourself for what comes into your mind, if you worry about it then the chances are you are a good person.
i talk to myself all the bleepin time too..i used to just do it everyonce in a while like one thought i.e..i wonder wut so and so is doing or i have to go to the bathroom..or oh i hope blah juslt normal thoughts ad this is wut made me a little crazy ..people i was living wiht started saying things out loud tht coincided with my thoughts even if i was in a nother room..i knew we were all conected like by the same spirit but tht took it too a whole nother lever for me i have been in complete torment now..now i talk to people tht arent ther i mean i understand they have a life and i dont think they are listening or anything but heck i even read lke im reading to someone else which i assumed was normal until my teacher said read to your selves please and i looked up and in words in my head i said whos not reading to themselves? and she jsut got wide eyed and smiled..tht was a long time ago but ever since i started thinking people could hear this dialogue tht incident stood out alot more lke infact i feel like ive been the butt of a joke alot and i didnt even know..i know it makes me sound crazy but it happened so much tht i couldnt pass it off as a coincidence anymore..oh and now like i said i cant stop talking to myself i wake up talking to myself i go to sleep talking to myself im talking to myself right now as im typing this ..i need help anybody have any luck with meds tht quiet it down cuz i really would love to go to college i cant even go around my family in a comfortable state of mind now cuz all my thougths are so screwed and when i finally do find a place of peace im so depressed i dont even want to talk to other people outloud or even be ther cuz i jsut cant laugh or have a good time..I dd lose my 7 month old son and thts when things really hit the fan with me i mean of course but that was 4 years ago and i still am waaay out there ? am i the only one cuz i feel like i am i keep trying to say well other people talk to themselves in there head and no one knows wut there thinking but honeslty i dont think every one does talk all the time cuz i can remeber having a solid core of peace unless like i said a stray thought about wut my bf was doing at work or something then id be back to watching tv in silence Lord i miss the silence...:(
Im diagnosed bipolar, anxiety, agoraphobic, but several years ago the chatter in my own head was so constant and so loud, I really thought that I had turned a corner and was really over the edge. I reluctantly told my shrink, afraid of a worse diagnosis (voices), but I explained that it wasn't other voices I heard, just my own thoughts racing and constant and making myself crazy. He put me on a low dose of Seroquel. It for me is a WONDER DRUG.  I never knew that my own head could be this quiet.  I had many doctors suggest meditation, but you can;t meditate if you cant make your head SHUT UP!! I guess I had lived my whole life that way so to me it was "normal" to have all that chatter in my head.  But I'm so glad I finally told my shrink bc life is much quieter in my head.  Now if I could only find my miracle drug for this depression!!!  Good luck!
To all of you here,hope this will help.
I will keep it short though.
I had Schizophrenia before,but believe or not i am now cured in just about 6 months through medical and spiritual healing.
Now that i am cured i dont hear voices anymore or believe that people are talking about me and all that symptoms.
And i am off meds too,its been more than a year now.

The thing that you guys are experiencing is all due to severe depression but not necessarily anxiety or vice versa or could be both.
You are not going crazy but it could lead to it if left untreated.

It is normal to talk to one self and to be thinking alot and analyzing stuff,but when it gets to a point that you are doing it constantly "24/7" till it gets to a point that its annoying.It leads to severe negative effects(Shcizophrenia/Bipolar etc).

I am not a certified doctor or anything.just a guy who have been through all this and made it.Not trying to brag though,just trying to share it.
I am just going to give you the solution to this so called "Brain Marathon"
There are a few options to cure this,its all up to you who are experiencing it .
Here are some  that you can choose :

1.Have Loads! of fun,in a positive way of course.
2.Go find peace,which could be done through alot of meditation which i personally enjoy alot.
3.Go for a long vacation,meet new people,socialize with fun positive people.

For now i will just give in this 3 solutions which will work like a charm if you
implement it.
You can either do all among those 3 or just pick one.Its alright,which ever one feels right for you.

So,get out there and do it.Dont be afraid.
The conversations in the head that goes on "24/7" could be also caused by boredom,severe stress,or maybe you just lost someone/something valuable in your life.

Take action!Dont leave it untreated.
If it is already very severe always seek medical attention ASAP.

If you are sick i would say get well soon,but this is not an illness yet :) so
try out some of the ways above.Hope it helps..

Have fun :)

I do this all the time. For me its like im being interviewed but the conversation is mostly on my end. Im still me but its a different version of me like the person I wish that I was but now Ive started moving my lips and sometimes saying words out loud when im on my own and when Im in public I have to try really hard to stop my lips from moving. Im 20 and Im fairly sure im depressed but Ive felt like this for so long i cant remember feeling normal. I first got suicidal when I was about 10 and then again when I was 17 and its started again. My memory is also getting really bad and I just feel hopeless all the time and dont really feel like i can ever change.
Thank you for this I thought I was going crazy and this is the first time ive ever told anyone about this
at least i know I'm not alone now....
I feel the same my mind never stops and it increases as i try and stop it gets to the point where i feel that sick to my stomach that i can barely move i feel as if someone else is pushing my emotions down like i am being suppressed and i am going to burst i barely sleep due to this constant mind racing conversation i have never spoken about this and i am wondering if anyone can help point me in the right direction aquila-***@****
I'm very glad to find this post! I really thought I was the only one. I've spent my whole life with extreme social anxiety and severe depression. I did six months of chemo when I was 19 and afterward I felt as if had melted my brain. I've always talked to myself but never this much. the anxiety is so high I can hardly hold a job. I'm not sure what to do. it's nearly impossible to concentrate or remember anything at all. people can completely describe something we did together and I have no recollection at all. I am overthinking and overanalyzing 24/7. I also find I'm much slower at reading than I was before /: if anyone knows what I should do please let me know :)
A bit late, but the same happens to me but for me, its more of an inner self that I just cant talk to others about. Thoughts and Images that I cant really control, it happens with me knowing but it just carries on while I speak or talk about something in real life. Its not necessarily scary or frightening, I just rely upon it at times, and in some scenarios, when the conversation arises or triggered, I just start speaking about all this information that I had stored in my mind.

Honestly, although I don't know whether its just me trying to be social with my Introverted self, or something else. Its just these thoughts about random philosophical and sub-scientific, seem to be something that people my age are completely converted away from. Im only of the age of 15, but the thoughts and ideas have been in my head ever since I started to become morally and psychologically aware of my surroundings. I may literally sound crazy or seem to be mocking but its real....And i dont know why, nor do I know weather i like it or not, its just there....Thinking.  
I feel so normal now. I am a 23 year old female from India. And I've never been abroad yet, but I hardly watch Indian series. And the strange thing is, everytime I use the washroom, I imagine myself in a future situation and talk to myself or somebody else, but in a different accent, its not indian. I picture myself in a different place, in the future, and just talk, talk about anything. Maybe be it i am meeting the person after years, or I am having a relationship crisis, or maybe job related issues. Anything, I just talk. Am I the only one this crazy?
Seriously glad I managed to find others who do this - I am feeling very worried about the extent to which I do this and get totally lost in my own thoughts. I always sit in front of a mirror and its like i can hear people asking me questions as if I'm on TV or I'm really famous and I feel like a very well respected and important person. I think it does actually help my self esteem as without these "interactions" i would not be able to plan or process anything. I get random interjections like questions during the day when I'm doing stuff or just sat on my own - I feel they are very real and meaningful and engage so much in them I totally zone out.

I've read your post and what I would like to express to you is simply this... YOU yourself are creating your own fear.. The only obstacle or issue you have in your life is your mind convincing yourself of defeat.. You think and think and think and think... And the end result of all this thinking is you creating or feeling like something is wrong or that your losing it.. STOP placing yourself in this losing position. Your train of thought is always leading to negativity. You are your biggest obstacle and the only person who can free the mind is yourself. Believe in yourself and your will, No pill or MD can free you from your train of thought... Listen to music, dance a little bit, do it alone.. Music is a better remedy than pills or doctors convincing you that you have a problem WHICH is a bunch of rubbish.. Believe in Yourself!! Hope this helps. Godspeed.

“The Man who says he can, and the man who says he can not.. Are both correct” ― Confucius 551 BC.

Anyone who tells you, your depressed, didn't talk to YOU to hear if you are or not.  If you say your not then you aren't.  Do not shun any thoughts you have if they are peaceful is what I say, the more you hold in the less you gain for your body and mind.  We are naturally a creative race, any sense of uniqueness or difference MUST be accepted.  Anyone who doesn't like to adapt to something or someone that is different than them is the one having troubles.
Get this deep difference of man out of the depression forum immediately, being intune with another part of yourself isn't something bad which depression gives the thought of.  The more you accept every aspect of yourself even what you consider bad or OTHERS consider bad, the greater your life will become.  These people flaunting their know nothingness and spamming depression just dont feel what you are, or cant take the time to really try.  The world is NOT one set way everyone and never will be.
Everyone talks to thierself and everything else that u described are classic symptoms of depression using coping skills like singing along to the radio or doing an activity with your hands should help aromatherapy and chamomile tea are great too it really helps i kno its hard but if u work hard to fight your depression youll get thru it i wish luck and i hope u feel better
Guys i have this problem to before that i was normal but this is hapening quite some time now even when i go out with my friends i can't stop talking to myself and the worst is that i have convice myself for things that aren't real i think i'm in danger when in reality i'm not i can't think straight i'm trying to get rid of this but it just keeps getting back all i want is to be normal again what can i do?
For the past 4 weeks I have been constantly battling myself as I haven't been able to understand what is wrong and where this depression came from. I've always been a very talkative person, outgoing, loving, caring, and I use to laugh alot. Within this down period in my life, which is so new to be as I have never experienced this in my life, I have started to lose myself, I feel quite empty inside. I don't have memories and when I go through photos of the past and now I can't explain the photo. There are many times as some of you mentioned above, that someone will be asking me a question and its be quite some time to grasp what they have said and how to respond as my mind is to busy talking to itself. Each moment I think of getting up and ignoring the noise, it seems to get louder and louder until my entire body is paralized and I can't get out of bed. I get anxiety when there are people around me, (which is so strange as I was a very social person), I get anxiety when i'm asked to many questions. The other day I went grocery shopping and I had no idea what to do, or why I was there - that I just stood in one place trying to gather my thoughts. I get lost a lot and I feel as if I'm just doomed for the worse that better days are just never going to come. I do get up in the morning and do my prays hoping that someone hears me. I know that I am sitting inside somewhere, seems as if I'm really scared and just can't seem to find the will power to come out and face the world again. I feel at lose each and every way I look.
hi there i am feeling the same thing hearing voices in my head ,this voices have different characters they are men ,female voices its 4 characters involved all of them have distinct features but all of them have one thing in common they all evaluate my thoughts and give comments its seems to me that i am under watch and being studied but this voices most of the time thinks very highly of me like i am super genius ....they all talk 24/7 i felt very angry for sometime but now i try to avoid this voices as much as i can i couldn't answer to their thoughts but it is very difficult i am not taking any kind of medication i don't know what to do to get my peace back ANY HELP is appreciated @HELL1971 wish u a swift recovery for you to ...        
i have read all the posts... its like i am not alone with these weird things in my head
I'm only 13 I have had this since I was 7
For me it's a constant battle within my self. I didn't use to be this way but now I have so much negativity in my head and it's not voices or questioning who I really am but it's the most ridiculous things that you could imagine. For example I could genuinely think something positive in my head but because I've had so much negative thoughts I wont allow my self to just get away with straight positivity so a positive thought is always followed by a negative one. It's like if someone tells you not to think of a certain food or color then you're probably going to. I think some people are just more obsessive thinkers than other people and unfortunately those are the cards that I've been dealt with. People don't understand, they say just stop. I would if I could, I've been struggling with this for many years and I've tried so many different approaches to deal with it and nothing has worked. I think I just have to learn to live with it. If you're having a large amount of thoughts flowing through your head just be glad that they're not all negative and remember that our thoughts aren't necessarily who we are or how we really feel.
That's exactly how I feel :(
Check out the Maladaptive Daydreaming page on Facebook.  I finally have hope that I'm not the only person dealing with these "imaginary" conversations.  MD is not recognized as a disorder (yet) but there has been research done.  
I always talk to myself and it never shuts off. EVER. It gets annoying at times. I act out conversations a million times. I cant concentrate on what my friends say I am to busy talking in my head. So many voices go on. I act out things that I want to happen, things that already happened and people that I wanna talk to. Im very anti social and alone most of the time. I just started noticing this problem and I don't know what to do. Im scared to tell anyone because im afraid they'll think im crazy. any advice?
i took drugs about a year back and i was depressed, i started seeing pictures in my head, i went shopping one day and i heard about 5 conversations all saying "see zebras", and so i started picturing zebras in my head, i was and still am convinced others could see my mental images.

after about a month and a half of having these mental images, people were having conversations across the road saying "we can hear your thoughts".
i decided to test it to see if it was real and started saying words in my head and waiting for people to say them in their conversations, i know now that people are hearing my internal dialogue because im talking loudly in my head.
i managed to control it slightly for about 5 seconds, it is possible to stop the constant chatter by just not thinking.

ive been talking in my head for 10 months now and ive also been aware others can hear my thoughts for that long, the first months were the hardest because i didnt understand what was going on, but the people from my town explained in their conversations that "your just in your head".

as the months progressed people started replying to the things using "spoonerism" (play on words) they are now fed up with the amount of mental noise im making and are annoyed with me.

i am trying to develop and find new ways to solve this problem, ive learned that watching tv does quiet my mind from chatter but i do comment on different things like "oh that persons good looking",,

i didnt want to post the stuff about people hearing my thoughts because i thought people might get paranoid, but i also wanted to see if others were expireincing the same thing as me, if you are paranoid about it dont jump to conclusions test the matter like i did and dont look to hard for the answers, i hope that helps.

please if anybodys story is similar reply to me, all the best thanks :)
Yes. I have DID. It is exhausting and I feel like I am going crazy.
what is DID?
First let me say I am sorry, but I laughed reading your comment...I been doing the same thing as you my whole life..one thought leads to so many others...I get real bad online..start reading about one subject then a hundred different subjects later I am way off course...I talk to myself..I answer myself..some of my best conversations have been in my head...sometimes when I am alone I speak out loud talking to myself...I cant stand watching television or listening to the radio because both interrupt my 1,000 mph random thoughts in my head...My mind never stops..I live two lives..one awake..the other asleep..When I sleep its more like I rest my body because my mind never sleeps...I dream awake..When I close my eye's to rest not only can I hear whats going on, but I visually see whats going on...Its another world where I meet people I don't recognize from the real world...Living in two worlds my mind is always tired...I am as tired when I get up in the morning as I was when I went to bed...Sometimes I cant tell one world from the other..I don't know if I did something or just thought about doing it...I remember things I am not she if I actually did them..Nothing violent..More like conversations I don't know if I had or not, or places I am not sure if I have actually been too and occasionally things I am not sure if I did...I think I am normal though...Look at all of us here...Maybe its everybody else that is not normal..I don't know...I also reread things many times over like I expect it to change what it says or something..I just got lost..Not sure how to end this, so I will just say good luck to you      
Everyones commenting here so i will too, my theory to explain all this starts with evolution. First of all are conscious minds where built on top of are unconscious minds. Back thousands of years ago when consciousness wasn't as big of a part of are brain as it is now, things where different. The more we evolved the more we distanced ourselves from the unconscious mind. Yet that is the part of are mind we get all of our answers from and deal with them consciously. The unconscious mind knows exactly how to deal with the conscious mind, however the conscious mind doesn't know or fights off the unconscious mind. If your brain is not in perfect balance, than your unconscious mind is going to try harder and harder to communicate with the conscious. Long story short people have always believed they hear voices in their heads and that they are prophets of some sort. Yet that is true because it is your misunderstood brain giving you answers when you're forced to tap into the unconscious side of your mind, ex: your instincts.

So basically the voices in your head is your brain telling you what to do. Which is your whole life basically. When you grew up you always listened to your parents and teachers, at work you listen to your boss. Now you're left with no choice but to listen and try to decipher what your mind is trying to say to you. Keep in mind your unconscious mind knows a lot more than you can even begin to believe.
I've had the same experience as you.. I've felt really different from my friends and family, because every time I try to speak, or, talk about the stuff I think about, I feel they are just looking at me strange, rolling their eyes, like I was stupid or crazy or something. I always wanted to talk about stuff, like economy, environment, culture, the human body and mind, the meaning of life, the universe, plants and animals, numbers, complicated feelings and emotions, etc.. But I can only fully communicate about this stuff, with myself, and I keep it bubbled up in my mind. If I try to express this to others, I stutter, forget the words, jumps from one place to the other and just come off as stupid and weird.
Oh, I'm so glad you shared that! I do that too. I have very vivid dreams (If I manage to sleep..), and I dream when I'm awake. I speak to myself all day long, more or less.. And sometimes I don't know if I said something out loud, or moved my lips or made facial expressions while talking to myself. Sometimes I can't remember if I did something or not. Or if it was just a deam. Or a daydream. It is very exhausting, and I don't feel refreshed after I have slept. I can start reading one thing I'm interested in on the internet, and then there is one word I have to google, and then I have to read about that, and OH, what does THAT mean? And why is it like that? And what does that come from? And one thing leads to another.. Just like my thoughts. I overanalyze everything, and I can have very dark thoughts about myself, my boyfriend, my mother, and, yeah.. I fear for the worst.
I sometimes have a melody, or rythm in my mind, while I very discretely moving sections of my body to it, over and over again in a rythm.. The bodyparts is always my right and left side of teeth, my toes and my shoulders.. Can't wait to go to a psychiatrist. (sorry for my bad english, it is not my native language).
I had a lot of negative chatter in my head... I started piecing the words together figuring out who the hell told me those things or where I started to tell myself those things... I started writing about it. Journals pock full of the chatter. You'd be amazed how much noise reduction occurs as you write it all away on paper.

Another method is to blast music into your ears. Except the problem with that.. you get the damn song stuck in there...  
I also have thoughts/voices in my head - I think really we all do - some of us are just more in tune to it than others. For me, what really drives me mad, and not only keeps me up at night, but also distracts me from my everyday going-ons, are what I refer to as "ghosts".  "Ghosts" are all those embarrassing memories of things that I had said or did, or should have said or did, that are constantly played on an endless loop in my head. Sometimes I let the Ghosts haunt me and I try to rewrite the memories to do or say what I should have done, other times those Ghosts spring forth suddenly and I try to dispel them. At one time I audibly would say a mantra of nonsense words to chase them away, that was until a roommate once commented on how annoying it was. I can't remember if, at the time, I consciously knew I was talking aloud or not, but I forced myself to stop. Later the mantra became actual words, again still nonsense, but sometimes frightening if taken out of context. I've tried to stay these occurrences, and one technique I came up with was to visualize putting those memories in a box and going down to the basement and putting the box in the incinerator (think Stephen King's Dream Catcher). I'm sure this isn't a healthy way to resolve ones problems, but I do feel it helps. There are two side effects that I have noticed: 1) I feel a slight headache in my right, frontal side of my head every time I perform this exercise, or even try to think about those Ghosts I incinerated, and 2) My short to long term memory capacity has diminished significantly. In full confidence, I have also gotten older (mid 20's to mid 30's) since I began this experiment, so the memory loss could just be a regular symptom of aging.
It makes sense to me. I was just watching a mystery tv show from the 60's and they don't show you much; it's all left to the imagination. Well, I began a conversation with the 'other people,' the ones in my head. We were discussing why the character didn't do this or that. It was definitely weird, but I seem to do this a lot, even more than I used to when I was working.
I have maladaptive daydreaming (disassociation) also. I've had this for almost 30 years. The only thing that I know that will stop it is cortisol medications. I don't know why.
This is caused by the government (NSA) using psychotronic weapons on people. This is the cowardly way that they are silencing political dissidents and whistleblowers. Do an internet search on "psychotronic weapons" and "targeted individuals."

If voices in the head are the only thing you are experiencing, then it hasn't gotten weird yet. Just wait till you see what they can do to your TV. Imagine turning on Fox news, and it appears that Bill O'Reilly is talking to you personally. Is it real, or a hallucination, LOL?

Is this the freedom our children are fighting for in those useless wars?
This is what im going through right now, or that I've only just notice. I'm not sure how long its been happening or that its actually happening at times but its driving me nuts.I'd start having a conversation in my head, and then I would think out loud, like literally talk my thoughts and not hear it for myself. At first I thought I wasnt, but then certain people around me would start giving me weird looks when I havnt said anything,  But eventually I start noticing little groups or individuals start to laugh, when I wasnt talking to them. I decided to test my self by recording myself on a drive home, but I didnt notice anything funny, but then today,watching a movie with a family friend, I notice they would look at me with a weird impression, but honestly knowing I didnt say anything out loud or that I could hear. I'v had depression for a while now, but for the past few months, this has been happening.

thanks for everyone for voicing out, it really does help when I read situations similar to mine
let me just get this off my chest *sigh*.

i thought i got killed by my roomate when i did weed for the second time in my life. heres wat happened!

smoked the weed and i jacked off to his GF immeatlly right when i started to pic her naked it sounded like i heard a shotgun being loaded. i brushed it off and finished my load. right after i did the energy in the house seemed angry and hostile. i got parnoid thought he was going to shoot me anyways in my head i guess i imangened myself getting shot in the leg stomach and back area i felt like i was laying there bleeding to death and i felt like the roomate wanted to come back in the room and finish the job by cutting my throat, so i was ready to die i told myself right when i told myself that my throat was cut and blackness and fear of heaven or hell entered my mind i felt as if my soul was trapped in a tiny black room. at that  moment i realized i was not compleatly dead but being judged by god thats wat i thought in my mind. so i started confessing stuff to god  so i could try and get into heaven and in doing that i cant really describe what i saw but am going to try. imaginge ur in space now take away the stars and the planets and now imgaine that its really bright like pure white if u get what am saying. anyways i started telling god bout stuff and i wasnt being sincere with what i was saying, i would be like i hope what am saying gets me into heaven and i smiled. right when that happened i imagined myself back in the tiny black room knowing what i just did i immeatly started to try and convince god i was a good soul. so it felt weird knowing that i was dieing and that i was not going to heaven laying there on the floor only moments till am gone 4 ever i cather all my strenth rise 2 my feet and confesse all my sins OUT LOUD screaming them standing up fists balled eyes closed standing there begging god to give me a second chance. i dont really rember what happen after that but i do rember opening my eyes and standing there in my room no shot not bleeding and hearing a voice say u asked for a sign (i have always asked god to prove 2 me he was real) so i hope into bed thinking that i just died and got gave me a second chance at life.

so the point of this story is:

i thought ppl could read my thoughts cuz i thought the roomate  killed me  cuz he read my mind and knew i was thinking of his girl.

so i go to work the next day thinking everybody must be able to hear my thoughts and they must already know that i died last night and came back by god. the first week was ******* aswome i was talking to ppl more than i did i was the cool guy of the work place. whenever i waited on a girl at work it was like i would connect with just them and it felt like me and her where the only two in the room flirting with them making them do stuff they wernt suppose to do at a restraunt and in front of their boyfreinds and husbands. theses girls i was hitting on were attracted to me like flies i would wait on one then another one would be right behind her biting her lip and smiling at me. i dindt know how to shut it off. and i would treat the men like ******* **** thinking "if u intrupt me while i talk to ur gilr _______ gonna happen. this went on for a week thinking this anyways my batterys about to die on my computer and i dont feel like looking for the battery. if you want the rest of my story and belive me am not even half way done yet! tell me what you think about this
I have the same exact symptoms as you and I've been looking for help for a long time but I don't know where to find it and I'm only 16 the one thing that got me the most is that you said you feel like you find yourself rehearsing conversations in your head I do that to and a lot of times I say what I would say out loud. I don't know what to do I was diagnosed with depression and ptsd a year ago tried a couple of antidepressants but none worked and I stopped seeing my psychiatrist ad I started feeling this way about 4 months ago but I also always think that there is something wrong with me when there's not I literally feel like I'm making myself go insane
I know this is a bit of a delayed response but I have almost the exact same thing and I'm pretty sure it's due to smoking weed. I smoked way too much when I was only 16-17 and only decided to quit when I noticed I was have entire thought conversations with myself. It felt like I was talking to another part of my brain (this sounds completely crazy I'm sure) and since quitting this has basically stopped. I think this was mainly due to my anti-social tendencies, so instead of talking to a friend or some other resource I talked to myself. I still have self-talk from time to time but most of my day is spent distracting myself; the only time I am alone with my thoughts is when I lay down to go to bed. I find that at that time my mind is racing so fast its nearly impossible to sleep. I run through random scenarios and think about hypothetical conversations and events. I hope this shed some light on any issues and I would greatly appreciate hearing if you or anyone else has felt something similar.
I am wondering what they put you on for your thoughts that wont go away, I have that issue and none of the meds they put me on work for this. It is almost ocd in my inability to shake harmful and depressive thoughts
TinaR10, and KTowne commented on KeeLolo's status
37 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on veronica0808's status
TinaR10 Hello 2nd trimester. Curren... Comment
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time