Depression Community
Could i suffer from any form of depression?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Im 17. My mum has suffered from depression for around 7 years (diagnosed that is) and now im worried that I might be showing signs as well. I have real trouble getting to sleep at night no matter how tired I am, sometimes I just feel really down for no reason or I dwell on certain things that I feel depressing.
Everyone says that im a moody teenager or that Its just teenage hormones etc but I genuinely feel like its more or something else.
In 2008 my uncle was diagnosed with cancer and he had always been more like a dad to me (i see my dad but hes always been more interested in my brother). This was obviously a hard time for everyone (especially as my granny who we live with was not allowed to know!). Then a feew weeks later (and this is going to sound rediculous!) but my favourite wrestler was suspended for drugs use and I totally shhut down for a few days! It seems rediculous now but then i genuinley thought I wouldnt make 60 days without seeing him on tv!

I cant talk to my mum about it and I dont really want to go on any kind of medication becauser I have watched my mum become dependant on it  and how it has effected her life! I guesse I just want to know If i really could have depression?
I do have trouble concentrating at college right now and it coming up to myy final history exam. I dont know what I want to do with my life!
Its not all the time I feel this way but I only feel really happy when Im just messing around and doing stuff which is not going to help with my future, Its like I switch from happy to sad but not like i see my friends do!
any help or information would be gratefully recieved!
Depression frequently runs in families and you are wise to be aware of that.
What you describe sounds like it can be signs of depression/anxiety.  School can be very stressfull and it's common for your age to be feeling how you do.
People with illnesses become dependant on medication because it's far better then living without it.  Because your mum needs it doesn't mean you do.  Perhaps some counseling and learning other techniques to keep your depression and anxiety subdued will help you a lot.
See your family doctor and discus this situation with them.   There may be other reasons for how you feel and the doc may have some solutions to make your situation much better.
Take care.
Hi.

I`m also 17. That happens to me like last 4-5 years... this period of time is hard 4 some of us, maybe... You should have in mind that every person is different and has got different fears, feelings and tolerance on some behavior. Besides that, we react differently in intensively and duration. E.g. something can make you really mad, your friend average mad, and your other friend can be indifferent about it

I don`t feel depressed because of TV, but I often feel depressed when I have to do something useful what I hate 2 do. Like wasting my time in school where I look at happy ppl with who I don`t have anything to talk about because I have a different style of life and don`t care about things they do. Sometimes I can`t help myself and I hate every minute I have to be here, on this planet.

I can be in manic mood, and then, the smallest thing I have to do, like helping my parents who are  frustrated 2day because I don`t talk to them at all (I don`t have a need to do so, especially last 2weeks), makes me feel hopeless. It can prompt me to remember how life is pointless miserable experience where I am trapped; where I have to be (no one asked me if I want to live this life)

And every time I calmly and seriously think about life, I really hate it. So I rather run away from that by doing reckless things like sticking my father`s glasses on the lamp and unconsciously I do.

So, I don`t know... But, if you have family history, you should go see someone. Don`t go to psychiatrist if you don`t want to take pills. Go to psychologist. He`s not a dr. so he can just talk to you. He cannot prescribe you medications.

And try to search on MedHelp and google about bipolar disorder/manic depression. These periods you are going trough, if they are regular, can be related to this…

Good luck, and the only way you can be sure is to visit an expert
Hello, just a quick statistic for you, 1in 4 people will come into contact with depression or another mental health problem in their lifetime so its very common... the way you describe things does suggest you could be depressed. A death in the family can sometimes trigger these things, and seeing your Mum suffer from such a young age could mean you have learnt that dealing with stressful events can make you depressed..

As for the wrestler, sometimes we attach so much emotion to something or someone because it gives us such pleasure, but when that suddenly goes, it feels like the end of the world, and we feel we have nothing left.. this will pass in time hun..

I think you need to talk things through with your family doctor, he will assess you and decide if you have depression or not..it doesn't mean you will have to go on medication, but even if you do it doesn't have to be for that long, maybe 6 months to a year..you may benefit from counselling though.

You have a lot of pressure at school too, so I really think you need to visit the doctor.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Thanks for all the answers
I did get over the wrestler being suspended and much more has happened since then and I have come to terms with the fact that they are just a person I watch on tv and however much they inspire me etc I cannot depend on them or let them change my life for the worse.
D_Snead35 December 17,2014, it has be... Comment
33 mins ago
KTowne commented on Shannon79's status
KTowne commented on photo