Depression Community
Could this be depression

A community of people suffering from Depression to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, counseling, and other management.

Could this be depression

Hi my name is Thomas and I am 19 years old. For the past 3 months or so it feels like my health has decresed emotionally because I am never happy anymore, because I have such bad mental confusion and even when good things happen to me I enjoy the happy moment for about 5 minutes and then it goes away, and then is not really a happy moment anymore. My doctor thinks it is an anexity problem but I really beg to differ about the issue. I have had blood work done (cbc) and had my thyriod checked to see if there was anything wrong. But it all came back normal. As I am sitting here at the computer writing this it is hard to think of what to say next. I am only 19 and cant believe what is going on. I want to go out and have fun but it feels as if I am tied down due to this illness or hypocondriac thoughts so call it. I do believe that there is something wrong with me and have been to the doctors countless times, my parents and everyone around me including my doctor are starting to ridicule me saying that you are going to have to live with it and then play it off as a joke. But to me I want to go back the way I used to feel. This has really impacted my college life and my working habits. I just need to know how to get through this and if mental confusion (brain fog) is caused by depression or allergies of some kind. To my knowledge I am not allergic to anything but you never know. I just really need some advice because it feels as if I am going crazy. I just want to feel better if there is any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for listening. Thomas
Is your Doc a GP?  Because a psychiatrist could be much more helpful, they are much better with these things.

Mental Fog is very much part of depression and a lot of the other symptoms you describe.  Also it is imortant to get on top of these things early as you could get worse without treatment.  That happened to me in the past.

You can get treatment for these problems and you can improve very quickly.
I'm a 25yr male, ive been in your place before. I'd say there is definately a depressive component. Do you feel as if you're just going thru the motions in life? If so maybe you should tell your doctor that. My depression for me was never feelings of sadness. It was loss of feeling/interest in life. I felt numb, disconnected from life, and that "brain fog" makes it so hard to concentrate and see the big picture but is hard to explain to anyone. You only know if it has happened to you. Once you start feeling better that clarity will come back and you will remind yourself if it ever happens again its just part of the illness. It comes and goes for me. The best thing to do is not obsess over it (which i tend to do) and just ignore it. But once you're feeling better it should lift and you will forget all about it!
I understand exactly what you mean about that i obsess about everything. I wake up everymorning feeling the same way and it really starts my day off wrong. I really dont know how to explain: one night i was standing in my dorm room and all of a sudden my mind went blank and I could not concentrate anymore. That is when I started doing some research on the brain fog. I could not believe how many people suffer from this. As time went on and I was not feeling any better I went to the doc and put me on alprazolam for my aneixty. My syptoms (symptoms) went away for about a week then came back as soon as my body started getting used to it. In turn it left me with the feeling of anger and sadness because I feel as if this will never go away. This is why I believe I am in depression. Between October and now I have only felt like myself twice and that is no lie. I feel as if I am always high or drugged up and it makes things to cope with very hard. I am under alot of pressure between college and a full time job there is really no ending. I just need to get better because I am sick of waking up every morning feeling the way I did the day before. Any suggesstions would be great thanks again. Tom
Were you ever able to find a solution? I have been going through a very similar situation for the past 5 years. I'd be very interested to hear how your progress has been.

Thanks.
JamesD1991 commented on photo
Life360 uploaded a new photo
10356 commented on stilltrying1965's status
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time