Depression Community
Cymbalta no longer working...what next?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Cymbalta no longer working...what next?

I have been taking Cymbalta for a little over 2 years now for severe anxiety and chronic depression. While I can definitely say it has made the difference between night and day for me as far as the panic attacks go (I can count on my fingers the number of bad attacks I've had in 2 years--whereas prior to starting Cymbalta they were several times daily and were severely affecting my life.
The problem is, I think the Cymbalta charm has worn off. I had a lot of side effects right off the bat when starting it, but kept on it figuring that they would go away soon after my body got used to it. Most of them didn't, but I think over time I've gotten used to them and just accepted that it was going to happen. My doctor seems really pleased that I am no longer having the severe panic attacks and, don't get me wrong, I am too!
I have gained almost 40 pounds since starting Cymbalta. About 20 of it came on within the first 2 months of starting it with no dietary changes or changes in exercise. The rest of it, I think has been a combination of total lack of motivation or feeling, no energy since starting on it, and basically, even though I KNOW I have to lose weight and HAVE to work on it, I just can not force myself to do anything about it because there is no emotions or feeling or motivation left since starting on it.
So...I have a doc appointment in a week and am going to ask about switching. Usually, because he knows my background working in medicine, he will ask me what I think or what we should try, but I am just lost now. I thought Cymbalta was my miracle drug and it just isn't cutting it anymore. I thought I couldn't live life with the panic attacks I was having, but now I can't put two thoughts together in my head and the depression and lack of motivation is awful. I just don't have suggestions any more and I don't think he really does either! Any ideas on what might work well as a switcheroo from this med?
I have recently started taking Vitamin D supplements, as I live in a very cloudy state and I always feel so, so much better when it's sunny and I think this could be a factor. I actually have been feeling a bit better since taking it (I've been taking it for about 3 weeks now), but still not feeling the way I want to. Exercise helps me HUGE, but I have NO motivation and get bored/lose focus within minutes. I also take vitamin B complex, multivitamins, vitamin C and calcium, but no other meds.
The reason I checked in tonight was to get some ideas about peoples experience with cymbalta, and yours was the first entry I see.

Just about everyone I have read about this has made them gain quite a bit of weight. My dr said it would make me lose weight, but that is not what the details from those who actually took it.

Hi I took Cymbalta for about 2 yrs. and it didn't work very good and I went back on Effexor.  I've been on several antidepressants and some of them work longer than others, I think it depends on how fast your body metabolizes them.  Perhaps you can swtich to something new and get better results your doctor can add something like Wellbutrin to the Cymbalta.  There are many good medications out  there and sometimes you just have to try several before you find the correct one.  

peggy64...I gained weight on Cymbalta.
Hello there,

I would pick a drug that is acting on both serotonin and norepinephrine neurotransmitters like Cymbalta is doing since you want to avoid cutting the norepinephrine reuptake inhibition since you got used to it by taking Cymbalta for over 2 years. So if you are on a 60mg dose i would consider maybe upping to 120mg which is the maximum you can take once daily and see what happens. If it fails you can try a different SNRI like Effexor or Pristiq. If all fail then maybe your doc will consider adding Wellbutrin with another antidepressant.. You can also try alternatives like exercise and healthy diet to enhance the results.

Best regards,
M4
rana64, and nursegirl6572 commented on JGF25's status
1 hr ago
realjimmy i am passing over smoothly ... Comment
TinaR10 Feeling Flutters. Started 6... Comment