Depression Community
Debating ECT??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Debating ECT??

I have suffered from depression since I was a teenager. I've been on many, many different antidepressants, and many combinations of antidepressants and mood stabilizers. My diagnosis is borderline personality disorder, and PTSD. I've had several suicide attempts and the last time was nearly successful. I'm doing better than I was, but my psychiatrist and I have not been able to find a med combo that helps me. Either the medicine goes against me, or just does not work. I also suffer from MS, and am at my wits end. My psychiatrist suggest ECT to me and I've been reading for hours on end the good and bad. I just need some advice?? I don't know if I want to go messing with my brain like that.
Hello and welcome!!

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling so much.

From the explanation of your history, it sounds like you would be a good candidate for ECT.  Many people are automatically fearful at the idea, due to the horror stories from days long past.  ECT is very different than it used to be...much safer, and much more controlled.

Of course, as with anything, there are risks to consider.  Really, the biggest risk and most common side effect is memory loss, which varies from person to person.  We've had a good bit of people who have posted about their experiences with ECT recently, and most all of them have been very positive ones, with people reporting dramatic improvements in their mood and mental status, with only minimal memory issues, and really no other complaints.

My personal opinion is that you should give it a try.  Let us know what you decide!
Hello, I have heard from diff people the diff number of ECT's it takes. Do you know the standard number of ECT'S it takes. I no everyone is diff but I was wondering what the ballpark number was. This one women was on her 20 th ECT and I really don't know if that is normal or not. Thanks, Crystal
I have thought about ECT and had the same concerns as you. I too have been around the block more than I would like to count. The one thing that was told to me that I think is important - meds mess with your brain, as does
ECT. So one might work better than the other. If the time comes for me and I've exhausted all of my avenues, which I am close, than I am considering ECT. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Keep us updated and share if you feel comfortable. Crystal
there was a poster on Mh named Mike he started ECT back in 2009 and journaled all his treatments for months....sadly he is no longer on MH for his own reasons....but he did do the occasional update.
you can read all his journal by clicking on the following...its in reverse order, his treatments started in July of 2009...
good luck on whatever decision you make....♥

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/index/901137?page=3&personal_page_id=505343&sort_by=date
Thank you for making me aware of Mike's post.  I read all of his journal last night and it was very helpful. You just never know what's going to work if anything. I feel very bad for him. He seems to try so hard. I hope he is doing better since he wrote in his last journal. I send my prayers out to him. Crystal
I am having ECT and it is effective. When you have the initial series, you have 3 sessions a week for 2 to 4 weeks, depending on how you respond. Usually there is a big difference by the time you have had the 3rd treatment. For most people, ECT stops after the initial series.

I, however, am having maintenance ECT which means I have it less frequently following the initial series. I have been having it for 18 months. My pdoc says my response to each treatment is textbook - perfect. From what I have read, 100,000 people have ECT every year. I will continue with ECT for as long as it is effective and my pdoc recommends it.
Thanks SO much for sharing your experience!  I was hoping someone would come along and give some feedback!  You rock annie!
I think I'm going to go ahead and try it. I will keep this thread going. Keep you all updated. I already experience memory loss due to MS so I don't see that being much more of a problem. Thanks to everyone that has posted with words of advice and the link to the journal entry. I know everyone's experience is different, I can just pray it helps me!! Thanks everyone!!
Well, after consideration and time to think I have decided not to try the ECT treatments. The psychiatrist I was seeing had given up on me on my third visit with her. She had even out me back on Lexapro, which I had been on before and it did not help me whatsoever. Since then I have found a new psychiatrist and have been seeing him for nearly three wks. He out me on Viibryd, and I have to say it has been working wonders for me. Just in the three whs I can see a world of change in my moods and my depressive state of mind. Don't get me wrong I still have my days, but they are fewer and far between. I'm so fortunate that I found a dr who just didn't want to give up on me, especially after just my third visit. Not only that he has given me meds to help me sleep. I do not sleep very well at all, so I've been doing much better. Thank you all for your kind words and words of encouragement. I just feel at this time in my life ECT just isn't my very last resort.  
I'm so glad you found a medicine that works. Your persue of a new dr paid off. No dr should give up on a patient, especially after 3 weeks. That is very unprofessional and just plain terrible.

I have been with the same psyc dr for  5 yrs. I feel lucky to have found her. We are always working on new meds or combinations, therapy etc. We even have time to talk, not just about meds so that really helps. She always has the whole picture of me. There are psyc doctors who care it's just a matter of finding the right one. I'm glad you found one and at least you now know there are good ones out there.

I'm glad you found a med to work. Never give up. There are so many to try, not just antidepressants but other types of meds. Everyone is different when it comes to these meds. Always be patient and persistent.
Irisbritney I enjoy helping others like... Comment
20 mins ago
TinaR10 Hey guys.12 days until I ca... Comment
1 hr ago
KTowne commented on renae176's status
1 hr ago