Depressed over Emphysema and COPD prognosis
I've been struggling with depression all year after having been diagnosed with Emphysema and COPD last spring, and I'm wondering if anyone knows what types of depression treatment have been effective in emphysema patients?            I've been a heavy smoker for years and I feel terribly guilty about doing this to myself, but I still feel like Im way too young for this mess and that I shouldnt have to be facing what is likely a slow and painful death from emphysema over the next 5 to 10 years. Ive given up on trying to quit smoking and my lung function has been getting much worse lately, which in turn makes me even more hopeless and depressed. Let me know what's worked for you.
Hi Chelsea
So sorry to hear about your illnesses but that would anyone down, but think.
Time is precious and especially for you so don't waste it you do have a future for however long you can have hopes and dreams. Think what you'd like to do what is possible, it
sounds as if your thinking whats the point stopping smoking but there is more time to live and
fulfill anything you want to do.
Go for some specialised counselling you need to express your anger and fear remember depression can be anger held in and who could blame you. Try not to go down the road of pill's they can make you more tired than you already are. Ask for help and support from family and friends you need people you can lean on.
God Bless You
Love
Lorraine xx
There are a lot of depression medicines on the market. I know, I've personally tried many.  Wellbutrin comes to mind because it is also given to people to help stop smoking. This is your biggest priority. Continuing to smoke with this diagnosis will result in death. I don't mean to scare you, and I do not judge you, but it is and can be a life threatening condition. You are too young to have such a serious diagnosis. However, by stop smoking, your lungs can heal. Once damage is done to the lower lung, it cannot be fixed. This does not have to be a 10 year slow death.  The drug Chantix I heard from many people work great to quit smoking. Again everyone is different. I think once you start to feel better, this depression will lift.  Do not give up. You have a long life ahead of you and you are in charge of your health. I do wish you the best.