Depression, Irritability, and Criticism
I've been struggling with depression on and off for about 8 years. I can handle it most of the time, but I really REALLY hate the mood swings. Sometimes I get in these overly generalized negative moods, and I'm negative/critical about EVERYTHING in my life including myself! I'll feel lonely, excluded from my family, I'll get critical about my relationship/boyfriend, and just feel like nothing is good or right in my life. I can recognize it as being irrational thinking, but sometimes it's so HARD to be positive! Is there any good advice that anyone can offer? I want to live a more positive, uplifting life...and at times, I just don't know how to do it. I hate being negative and critical because it makes me feel terrible, and it affects those that I love.
Are you under a doctor's care for depression?  If not, you should be as these are all classic symptoms of depression.  There is help for this, and if you're not getting any treatment then make an appt. to see a psychiatrist so the two of you can discuss what course of treatment would be best for you...therapy and/or medication.  Depression makes us feel like this, and it's rare that we can beat it on our own.  I wish you all the best.
hi and welcome to depression forum--
you mentioned mood swings-- mood swings can be a sign of bi-polar (moods going from depressed to elevated)  or maybe you mean just depression to normal mood--

reaching out for help is the first step to getting better and never giving up.
depression can have physical, mental or spiritual causes, as well as social or related to our environment, i.e., being in relationships that are not uplifting and freeing or being around abusive or negative people.  There can be issues from childhood or PTSD.  Sometimes we help ourselves the most and even those around us, when we move on to healthier situations.  A garden crowded by weeds rarely produces aesthetic results.

We can rarely think our way out of clinical depression alone--or just will it away.  But, often there are issues in our lives that, once addressed, can bring light back in-- like opening the window blinds.  Maybe seek out a counselor or trusted friend or pastor...
and make it a victory today--even if it is not a dramatic one...
spring is near also here in North America.  all those seeds under the snow might get depressed also if they didn't know spring was coming--
best wishes to you--
go out and enjoy the apple blossoms if they are out where you are...