Depression Community
Depression/Exhaustion/Overweight

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Depression/Exhaustion/Overweight

I've had depression/anxiety for 10 yrs now. I've been off and on Prozac (only drug I've ever tried). I was on 10mg-20mg Prozac for the last 2 years, until 6 weeks ago. I weaned myself off. This is the reasons why: I gained 40 pounds in 2 yrs on it, and I still had a great amount of depression and anxiety. And so far, I really haven't been worse off it, about the same. But I'm tired of the battle, the daily battle. I'm totally different now then what I used to be. I stay to myself alot, I don't enjoy being away from home, I feel depressed all the time and anxious most of the time. I have no motivation to loose the weight (about 70 pounds), I ache daily, I'm exhausted daily. I'm in denial about the weight too and about the anxiety/depression, it's REALLY hard for me to believe that anxiety/depression/obesity can really make a person feel this terrible on a daily basis for years.
You should not give up on treatment because one drug is not satisfactory for you.  It can take time to find the right AD and you do not have to suffer on without.  Some do not cause weight gain eg cymbalta

best
I gained a lot of weight when I went on, then off Prozac about 5 yrs ago.  It took a lot of discipline and making sure I stayed really busy to stay motivated.  Later I learned, from bloodwork, that I had underactive Thyroid.  This is the hormone that controls your metabolism, as well as your brain, and levels of energy.  

I have a feeling you have hypothyroid.  You should get some bloodwork done asap!  Stay positive hon, xoxo
Thanks for the replies. I've had my TSH tested many times. But not the free T3 and free T4, everyone says you have to have that tested too. But with no insurance and a VERY limited income, it's very hard to go to a doctor-much less have tons of test run.
It seems like the weight gain has really caused me more problems, than prior. It's just SO extremely hard to excercise when walking across the house is exhausting on some days. :(
Wow, reading your post was like reading my own mind. I'm there, too. Except for the Prozac. I stopped using that nearly 10 years ago. It was veeeerrrrryyy bad for me. I've planned so many times to do something even as small as walk my dog around the block, but just can't find the energy. I'll wish you luck if you'll wish me luck. ;-)
Be aware that Prozac and other drugs in that class can have a side effect of apathy.  Apathy is a little different from depression, but has similar effects.  For instance, on Prozac I soon found myself wading through knee-high dirty laundry.  It's not the right drug for me.  Still looking for the right one; hoping Valdoxan will get approved soon.  
Avatar n tn
After 15 yrs of hell I was diagnosed with a pyrrole disorder which causes zinc and b6 deficiencies that lead to very high stress levels and total exhaustion. I am a net novice and unable to provide links. I am having treatment through The Pfeiffer Research Institute. After 9 months treatment I know I'm on the road to recovery. I hope this helps .
Belle313 commented on photo
1 min ago
10356 commented on 10356's status
25 mins ago
shennigan just a good tired. Comment
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time