Depression Community
Depression and Magnesium

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Depression and Magnesium

I've been doing a lot of researching on Magnesium, and it has helped many people with depression.  Magnesium deficiency is the cause of so many conditions, it's incredible.

George Eby did a load of research on Magnesium deficiency.
His site is titled: "Depression Treatment: A Cure for Depression using Magnesium?"

Here are test results showing that 89.7% of people with deprsesion tested were found to be Magnesium deficient.
http://www.oasisadvancedwellness.com/learning/magnesium-deficiency-depression.html

Typical blood work usually won't pick up the deficiency:
This following is from an article by an RN:
"If you ever get a serum Mg level drawn and it comes back normal, your physician will happily assure your problems are NOT magnesium deficiency symptoms and that is the end of the investigation into your magnesium status. But magnesium is not IN your blood, it is inside your CELLS! In fact - only 1% of your body's magnesium is in your bloodstream, making serum magnesium levels near worthless tests that detect only the most severe and dangerous magnesium deficiencies."
http://ezinearticles.com/?Hospital-Magnesium-Testing-Catches-Only-a-Fraction-of-Magnesium-Deficiencies&id=3020787

Magnesium Deficiency can cause:
http://drcarolyndean.com/magnesium_miracle/

BAD formulas of magnesium include:
Glutamate
Asparate
Oxide
Carbonate
Hydroxide
Stearate

GOOD formulas:
Magnesium Taurate (Taurinate)
Citrate (can be laxatative, so take with food)
Glycinate

Here is a review for a magnesium supplement from a vitamin website:

" I began taking this product 3 weeks ago for Panic Attacks and Anxiety. After YEARS on various Prescription drugs I recently heard about the effects of Magnesium Taurate on Panic/Anxiety. So far I have cut back to half the dose of Zoloft (which I've taken for the past 4 years) and 75% LESS Clonazepam! Hoping to be prescription Rx free very soon! I'm extremely happy with this product and would suggest it highly. "
I'm on it too, i just started with kidney stones.  Also another sign of magnesium deficiency, these stones also (along with depression, schizophrenia and facial tics) run in my family.

Imagine if it turns out to be the underlying problem ?

I have tried every other alternative method, so lets see !
Am doing super well lately and down to bare minimum medication and, hope to leave this behind soon !
Congratulations!  That is fantastic.

It is my hope that people will open their minds to the nutrition-illness connection.  We already have some verified nutrition conditions by the medical community, such as beriberi, anemia, rickets, etc.  There is so much more to learn.

Hoping to hear more good news from people.  :)

Therese, keep working on good formulas of magnesium, the right dosage for you, and give it lots of time.  I hear so many success stories with it.

God bless you.
I f standard testing does not work, how are you figuring out the right dose? Most take 300-500 per day, just a guestimate. How do we know?
Well I followed a Magnesium post from thyroid and it went here, I meant for it to be in the thyroid forum. Opps!
LazyMoose, after checking with your doctor about interactions with current medicines and issues with conditions, when you have the go-ahead, you could dose by *elimination of symptoms*.  I would follow within the recommended limits in doing so.

The medical site "UpToDate" says:

Dosage: RDI: 400mg/day; ODA: 400-600mg/day

Toxic dose: Single doses, equal or more than, 1000mg may cause diarrhea; use caution in renal impairment...

May alter glucose regulation...

Recommends coordinating with healthcare provider if you have renal or diabetic conditions.
KTowne 9 more days :):) Comment
KTowne commented on veronica0808's status
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time