Depression Community
Depression and Sexuality

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Depression and Sexuality

Hello

I'm suffering from depression and anxiety.  I've been taking Celexa and Trazadone for the past 5 months.  Recently I've noticed a problem occurring that I cannot seem to explain and it's a very serious problem to me.  I'm having a problem with impotence and orgasm.  On top of that I've been questioning my sexuality.  If anyone has had a similar experience or knows a lot about depression or anxiety, please respond.

Thank You
Celexa killed my libido, I'm still on trazadone and on a different type of AD med, and it's back!
seritonin can kill libido

had the same problem with effexor.
As for sexuality, I heard somewhere that sexuality is a continuim. We are not 100% hetero or homo. Heteros have some homo. Homos have some hetero. But they are still hetero or homo.
But when you are desperate to get off, sometimes you'll try anything. So change meds. Maybe wellbutrin.
For me it made a big difference.Like day and night.

I have found that just about every SSRI SNRI and Tri-cyclic antidepressant has sexual side effects. I have been on many and they all caused this issue with Libido.

I can't really say that any one was worse than the other in that respect.

This sexual side effect is probably the one side effect of these meds that is almost universal. I have met very few people on any antidepressant that has not had issues to some degree or another with lower Libido associated with antidepressants.

The good news is that the drug companies are activly working to develope antidepressants that do not have this side effect. Only time will tell if they are as effective as current drugs.

As for questioning your sexuality.... Do you mean questioning your sexual orientation?
Questioning of your sexual orientation is not a side effect of antidepressants as far as I know.
When you say "KILLED YOUR LIBIDO" I hope not permanently. I suffer 5 years from sexual side effects and have changed many meds but no help. I'm trying to quit completely.

About sexuality, IDK if meds can make you question it but I heard mental illness' such as depression can.
I was taking welbutrin and effexor.
I'm still taking welbutrin, but I just got off of effexor.

Effexor is a seratonin boosting drug. Soon after I stopped taking effexor, my sex drive came back.

I don't know if this is related to your situation, but it might,
depression and stress also kill labido?

After trying every anti-depressant that you could name with 0 results, I had my testosterone checked. (3 times) I found that I am at the very low range for "normal" in my age group. This Sunday 6-7-09 I started testosterone injections. Too early to tell any results, but I felt like I was at the end of my rope. You may want to have your testosterone checked.  I hope this is my answer. Best Wishes, turbo88
everyone questions their sexuality...it's just that most don't admit it. i don't believe in an 'orientation'...whatever you want is what you want and it can change quite easily. i see nothing odd about that.

as for the libido issue......everyone else answered that pretty clearly.
Hey I feel the need to respond here even though it's 3/4 years on. I have been on effexor for a little over a month and I am having the exact same side effects. First, it was a loss of interest in sex most of the time (not always). I have identified as heterosexual all my life and now I am questioning my sexuality as well?! Could this be a confusion caused by not having that familiar pull towards the opposite sex? I still can't deny that men are attractive to me. Now I think women might be too?!
Amandag78 Australian Government, fina... Comment
4ad commented on nursegirl6572's status
KTowne commented on renae176's status