Depression Community
Depression

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Depression

Hi , I'm a 34 years old single mom. I have a 7 and half year old son. I really feel depressed ,I was hoping if somebody can help me. I don't have a job and no health Insurance but I think i really need to see a psychologist in Irvine California.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself:
I got married when i was 23  I came to United States with my Husband. I got pregnant when i was 26 but my husband passed away when my son was 6 month old.
it's been about 5 years that i'm unemployee . ( I was out of country for 3 years after my husband died) but we came back to the state about 7 months ago and we live in Irvine Ca . I can't go to work because I don't know what to do with my son if i have to work on weekends or over times , i feel like i hate going to work , It's been about 7 years now that i'm single again but i couldn't find a guy to have a relationship with i just have  some short term frendships.I feel like I can't trust any man and think that they just want to use me for sex. In general I can't decide what to do with my life . I'm 34 but I still don't know what I want from life.
I cry most of the times before i go to sleep. I feel like i'm very behind from everybody els.
I give up on everything very soon ,I don't trust myself ,I think I can't finish up any job or anything  .I just look for any excuse to leave a task.

I'm sorry but English is my second language and  I can't write so good in English ,

Thanks you
Hi I know your struggle as I am a single mum to Dylan who is 11 I am 43 and have lost years of my life being on depressant tablets i am now weaning off and rediscovering myself.
You are quite hard on yourself reminds me of myself we are not super woman we are mere vulnerable mortals. Don't live in the past or the future all we have is now so now it's time to be kind and patient with yourself and just do what you can to cope ! While your son is at school and your not too good you need to perhaps find a charity for women and get involved do some voluntary work to mix with people and start to feel like a person as well as a mum. Put relationships with men on hold because when we are not too good we attract the wrong sort but as you grow and get your confidence back you will be more astute in choosing the right person !!
If you feel you need some help with depression try St John's wort or 5HTP it converts to seretonin of a day and melatonin of a night take it for what you need in the morning for depression or of a night to help sleep.
Everyday try and be thankful for little things that money carn't buy your son will keep you going explain mummy's not feeling too good distract yourself by doing things its great therapy even just going for a walk. Join something for single mums join a church anything so your not isolated !!
Good Luck and Let me know how your doing !!
Love
Lorraine xx
Aw, your english is just fine.  I understood you perfectly.  Being a mom is tough, but I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be to be a single mom.

Right now try not to worry to much about the male relationships.  It sounds to me like you need to focus on you.  I understand your dilema...can't find a job because you have no child care, and can't afford child care because you have no job.  I would try reaching out to one of the free clinics for a referral to a therapist.  If you are suffering from depression, it's going to be awfully tough to move forward.  You need to make sure you are taking care of you in order to be the best mom you can be.  How are you living right now?  I don't completely understand the US health care system, but you must have some sort of income.  If you are receiving social assistance, would you not qualify for medicaid?  Treat the depression, and thing will become clearer.  It will become easier for you to get back on your feet so you can work and feel better about yourself again.  I'm sorry, I don't know what else to offer except my best wishes.  I'm glad to see your reaching out.  That's a great first step.
Thank you adgal for the respond. My son and I receiving Social security benefits as a survivors . It's just enough to pay for my rent and other bills but with this amount we are not qualify for any other social assistance,
Thank God my son has Healthy Families Insurance but I don't have any .
I'll wait and pray till i get some assistance finding a free  psychologist who can speak ( Farsi) becuase then I can explain my problems better if i talk with someone who speaks my native language.

Best wishes for you
sisi1977
Many clinics have people who can translate for you if you need it.  I would do some research.  Maybe even get an official diagnosis and maybe you can see if you qualify for some disability.  
Thank you Teddybears4ever2 .
For depression these breathing techniques will take your mind away from negative thoughts and relax the brain. Do it with concentration, and keep eyes closed. Start doing today and let me know how you feel.Tell your son to do anulom vilom for 5 minutes, everyday, as it is good for memory.

Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.

Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Repeat this  5 to 21 times.
November 15 ,2011
Hello Hava

Thank you for your respond. Actually I have enrolled in a Yoga class recently. I'm having a great time and learning a lot and also I have started taking an online course for yoga teachers training I hope it can help me to fight with my depression. i also became a vegeterian recently. the only thing that i'm trying to quit in order to have a healthier and happier  life  is sigarette. I feel like i hate smoking sigarette  but the addiction dosen't let me to quit. I hope doing yoga and meditation help me to do it.
Love
Lorraine xx
Spicegal123 is ...female Comment
1 hr ago
Holespoles95 commented on Voices in my head
4Maddie44 commented on Voices in my head