Depression Community
Depression?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Depression?

Hello! I'm new here and I'm not sure as to how to work this site so please forgive me if I'm using these features wrong. I may have severe depression. I recently took about 3 Do I have depression test and I scored really high. They all said that I had severe depression. I'm not sure if those test we're accurate so I came on this site to ask people who do have depression if this is depression.

I have low self-esteem. I'm always downing myself. I don't consider myself to be beautiful, gorgeous or anything--that's why when people call me stuff like that I let it go in one ear and out the other. I rarely post pictures of myself to the internet because I'm afraid people will make fun of me so Instead I used cartoons or pictures of celebrities.
I have suicidal thoughts. I've never attempted to kill myself but I do think about it sometimes. I even once, Googled ways on how to kill yourself. I guess I haven't attempted it because I'm way too scared to die. I feel that life would be better off without me If I die.
I cry for no reason. I could be having the time of my life then I just burst into tears. Why? I don't know. This often happens.
I can't focus on anything. Because of this "depression" my grades have dropped, My reading skills are poor along with my Math skills. My mom thinks it's just me slacking but it's not. I try my best to focus but I just can't. When I try to read my mind just goes crazy.
I can't sleep at night. It only takes everybody in my house hold about 20 minutes to go sleep but it takes me 45 minutes to an hour.
I have recurring negative thoughts that I can't control. They come back to haunt me.  I try to stop thinking about them but I can''t.

Does this sound like depression? I think it does.
Hi and welcome. Putting a label on feelings does little to help understand what  they are about or why you have them. Some with depression are helped greatly by counceling and certain medications can also help balance emotions if the cause is a chemical imbalance. Its good that your opening up and seeking advise as this is a big step. Reaching out will help get things out into the open instead of holding them inside. Continue to post as there are many here who can give you advise and direction.
Hello and welcome!  I'm glad you found your way here!

In my non-professional opinion, yes, I would say you're almost definitely suffering from depression.  Have you felt like this for a long time, or is this all fairly new to you?  Has anything specifically traumatic or sad, or stressful happened in your life lately, that trigggered these feelings?

While many of us can give you our opinion, the MOST important person to ask this question to is a doctor, preferrably a psychiatrist.  He/she can thoroughly evaluate you, offer an accurate diagnosis, and then dicuss treatment options.  

Depression IS very manageable and treatable.  It takes some time, and it takes some trial and error, sometimes ewith different medications, but it is possible to get it to a much more manageable place.  It's definitely not something you want to ignore, or try to handle on your own.  

So, get yourself an appt, if you cannot go directly to a psych, then your PCP is a good starting place.  Typically, in the diagnostic process, there will be tests ordered to rule out a medical cause for how you're feeling, like something hormonal, problems with your thyroid, etc.

You are among people here who understand.  Many of us still battle with our depression daily, some worse than others.  But, don't feel alone, because you're not.  Also, find a good support system in your real life too, friends, family...confide in someone you feel comfortable with.  It's nice to have someone keep an eye on you, and lend a shoulder when you need it.  NEVER be afraid to reach out for help, it's not a sign of weakness, or a character flaw, nothing of the sort.

Please keep us updated okay?  Hang in there!
Gosh, I am new here today, and just delighted to read your wonderful post to goredwings99.  Thank you for being here for folks like us who need help and advice.  
Do you have any support, Pychiatrist, Therapist, family, good friend who you can talk to ? Support is key in the beginning. I have battled it my whole life, taking a shower was so hard this morning. I feel no one understands except my sister. do you have anyone
Nope, not really. I usually tell my mom a few things but not all.
Thanks. I will meet with my psychiatrist early next month. And this has been happening for maybe a couple of months since September 2012.  
Good to hear from you again.  So, the depressive symptoms haven't been present constantly?  More like an on and off thing?  Have you been assessed by your doctor, for a possible hormonal imbalance?  That's something to look into.  Not always, but usually depression is more consistent.

I'm glad you have the appt next month, that should give you some more insight.  Let us know what the doc says okay?
NOTE
3 hrs ago by realjimmy
realjimmy commented on photo
realjimmy its the present that we liv... Comment