Diagnosis Confirmation
What does an Axis I of Rule Out Bipolar NOS mean?  Is that a true bipolar diagnosis?
It means that it is hard to put a finger on what other category you may fall into.    It usually means more observation and a second opinion.  It is a mood disorder but until you show signs of mania, or hypomania to the point where they can make a determination, they will diagnose you as Not other specified and I respect a dr that does that because a diagnoses of bipolar and the treatment for it is a very serious and fragile thing.
I would also post this on the bipolar forum for better support and advice.
I will just go over and pull some people if I can.
  The thing that is important to understand is that
an icd code (a specific manual used to diagnose all medical conditions) is neccessary to note down after each appointment with a doctor or psychiatrist on the follow up records. The most crucial part to note is what the specifics of follow up and treatment are and it would be worthwhile to discuss that with your psychiatrist  If they informed you you have this specific diagnosis it would be worthwhile to ask the reasons why.
  It is noted as one of the subtypes of bipolar and there are some aspects of mania but not others. The understanding of it is more clinically complex. Only a psychiatrist would understand the clinical specifics. You could find the listed criteria but the most important thing is how it applies to each person. If you have just been diagnosed or if the specifics of your diagnosis have changed as well as your treatment it would be worthwhile to ask your psychiatrist the reason why.
I have commented in the bipolar forum without coming here 1st. i still hold my position without being ironic or sarcastic by any mean. BUT the psychiatrist who makes his miserable patient ask others especially other patients who are in the same situation about his symptoms is not worthy. His task not only to cure but to explain things so as to facilitate life for him and not to complicate it more. It's immaterial whether you have axis 1 2 or infinity it does'nt make a difference. the point is how he can handle your situation and when you go back to him you feel he has done you a favor.

bipolarity like in other illnesses is plenty of comorbidities and it's very difficult and impossible to judge the case. each case is an atypical one and not true just BP 1 say or 2 etc...diabetes is associated with blood pressure with migraine with renal problems etc...lungs and heart too etc..my 1st doctor said i have OCD then I have BP2 then 1 and I doubt if i have any of them. This explains why the drugs of psych illnesses are almost the same either tranquilizers or antidepressants.

Bubulous told you until you show mania nobody knows. it's very easy to show mania just by taking antidepressants high dose and this is how they judge a person as being bipolar. But if you do this then you will lose a lot like i did . mania is the bus station with no return it's hell to the brain. So never fidle with AD's they are very harmful, only the tiny dose that makes you functioning. This is the worst drug invented . people resort to it as the easiest thing. It's exactly slaughtering the chicken to get eggs.

forget about axis1 for a moment
The diagnostic and statistical manual divides disorders into axis - Axis 1 is mental disorders; axis 2 is personality disorders, axis 3 is medical disorders that could be related to the axis one diagnosis, axis 4 is psychosocial stressors such as divorce and finally, axis 5 is level of functioning. Bipolar falls under axis 1. "Rule out" means to consider the possibility that the disorder exists but currently it is not certain. NOS is not otherwise specified, which means bipolar 1 and 2 and cyclothymia have been ruled out already, meaning the pdoc doesn't believe you have these diagnoses.
You have given a very understandable description of this meaning.
Thank you :)