Depression Community
Does trazadone cause weight gain?

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Does trazadone cause weight gain?

I have recently been put on trazadone to help with sleep and as an antidepressant. Is it known to cause weight gain?
I take Trazadone for sleep occasionally and it works great.  I haven't taken it for depression, I usually take Wellbutrin for that.  When I take Wellbutrin, I actually lose weight, I think it's because it makes me feel better and I no longer need food to make me feel better.    
I looked up on google if it causes weight gain.  It can cause weight gain, but it can also cause weight loss 5.7% of people experience weight loss.  
Have you had any weight gain with it?  How many days have you been taking it?
Do you feel better on it (no more depression)?  
Avatar n tn
Hi: I was on celexa and it caused me imsomnia, so the doctor prescribed trazodone, but i am scared to take it for the side effecs and i don't want to gain any weight, i wonder if i take it only when i need it to sleep would work for me.
it's a great sleep aid, hope you sleep better.
You need to keep in mind that all medications have side effects.  A doctor will not give someone with a mental illness or sleep problems a medication that does not have bigger benefits than side efects.  Usually with a medication for these illnesses your body system takes any where from 4 to 6 weeks to have you meds completly regulated to where you are actually getting the signs of it helping.  You can not take a medication for these issues whenever you just feal like you may need it, it has to be an everyday routine you make in your life.  Also, keep in mind it is better to have a set routine in your day to day life, medications should  tried to be taken at the same time every single day.  When it comes to trazedone.  Every single human being has a different body system.  In some meds cause weight gain and in some it causes weight loss.  The loss of weight statistically is higher then those who gain weight.  But keep in mind that is statistics.  Only those who have reported it can be apart of a statistic.  I work for a mental health organization but also suffer from bi-polarism and insomnia.  If taken right my meds work for me.  You also need to keep in mind that medications for these illnesses are kind of like a shot in the dark.  One may work for some but not for all.  Keep in close contact with your doctor and keep him up to date.  If it needs to be raised or lowered he needs to know.  Thank you have a great day.  Hope this helps somehow.
clean_in_ks commented on photo
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
meegWpaw commented on photo
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time