Depression Community
Dr will not prescribe Wellbutrin XL for depression ..Why??!

A community of people suffering from Depression to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, counseling, and other management.

I wanted to switch from Zoloft (only have been on it for 3 months 50mg) to Wellbutrin XL 150mg once per day.
Zoloft made me gain weight which made my depression worse.  I am not good at taking more than one pill per day and I know with Wellbutrin, and Wellbutrin SR, more than one is required.  I would wanted a timed release anyway, with one pill only.  My dr, said she looked it up in her book, and Wellbutrin XL 150mg, is only prescribed for SAD and to quit smoking.  She did not want to prescribe the XL at all no mater what I said.  She prescribed me Regular Wellbutrin 100mg twice per day.  I do not want the regular wellbutrin as it will make me shakey (shaky), and I will not follow through with taking 2 pills per day...  I dont understand how she said Wellbutrin XL 150mg once per day will not work for depression, when I see on other medical sites it is prescribed.  Was her medical medication reference book that she looked at wasn't updated or something?  I want to go back and talk to her, and show her some sort of valid proof that it is indeed prescribed for depression.  Is there any facts , or suggestions anyone has what I should say to my doctor?
Wellbutrin is prescribed for depression. Maybe her book was out dated. My daughter did very well on this med at 100 mgs once a day. You might want to give the regular Wellbutrin a try once a day instead of the XL if your Dr refuses to prescribe the XL. 200 mgs would be a high starting dose in my opinion.  Remar
It seems kind of odd that you doctor won't prescribe you Wellbutrin XL if there's a chhance that it could help with your depression. I took it for a while but I also have alot of problems with anxiety and  the Wellbutrin seemed to make that worse. I had to take Calonapin with the Wellbutrin so I didn't have an anxiety attack. Try to talk to your doctor again or maybe consult another doctor. I"m sorry to hear about the side effects of the Zoloft. I've been on Paxill for a while don't seem to have any of those problems so that may be another medication that you can ask you doctor about. Good luck!
It seems kind of odd that you doctor won't prescribe you Wellbutrin XL if there's a chance that it could help with your depression. I took it for a while but I also have alot of problems with anxiety and  the Wellbutrin seemed to make that worse. I had to take Calonapin with the Wellbutrin so I didn't have an anxiety attack. Try to talk to your doctor again or maybe consult another doctor. I"m sorry to hear about the side effects of the Zoloft. I've been on Paxill for a while don't seem to have any of those problems so that may be another medication that you can ask you doctor about. Good luck!
XL seems to have a few more side effects...per

http://www.drugs.com/pdr/wellbutrin-xl.html
I thought it was odd to she was against prescribing Wellbutrin XL for major depression.  I would like to present literature, or something to her so she can change my prescription to Wellbutrin XL.  I know taking reg Wellbutrin I am not good with taking more than one pill per day.  Also I have heard the regular Wellbutrin, it is too much of a dose at once causing more side effects such as anxiety, shakiness, etc.  I would like to fax her a letter so she changes the prescription to XL, but she will probably just get frustrated with me and not prescribe it.  
How Bad Science and Big Business Cr...
11 mins ago by gymdandee
KTowne commented on Des92's status
1 hr ago
10356 commented on stilltrying1965's status
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time