Depression Community
Effexor side effects-constipation

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Effexor side effects-constipation

I have been on effexor for 5 months.  I have plenty of fiber in my diet, exercise and drink fluids (dry mouth is also a side effect I have).  The constipation is getting worse.  I had a colonoscopy last month and the prep didn't work adequately.  Now I'm getting hemmoroids (hemorrhoids).  I take stool softeners every night. What else can I do?
A side effect of Effexor can be constipation. Please discuss with your doctor. He may suggest Miralax for you.
Have you tried Colace 100 mg.? There were times I had to take it 2 - 3 times/day. I find it very effective - the stool softener version of it.
Also, metamucil (orange-flavor) is nice, but follow the directions of usage re: the correct timing of taking it and when you take any medications.
I hope that you can find a solution...
I'm in the same boat. It seems most of these AD medications cause constipation.

I would say that of the few side effects I get from my meds, the constipation would be the worst one. Then again I could probably do more to correct this, but I really hate high fiber foods. I may try that metamucil that xanweaner mentioned.
No question, metamucil is quick and easy - esp. if you like orange flavored - just stir it into water and drink.
The Colace is a stool softener, not a laxative. It is highly effective, but I can only confirm the results of the Phillips brand, which I take. Definitely, try the 100 mg. size.
Nothing else was working for me...the Colace is a lifesaver!

Good luck,
-xan-
Watch out - constipation can actually CAUSE depression and make it all worse for you. According to Ayurveda, Indian traditional medicine, the trapped gases caused by constipation rise up the body and make you feel depressed. I have been feeling MUCH better since addressing my constipation and can tell when I am getting constipated again when I start getting all 'anal' and anxious and angry about tiny things. I always wondered why my depression kept getting worse despite taking anti-depressants - they actually aggravate what could be causing the condition in the first place!

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/constipation-depression.html
pb95 commented on photo
KTowne commented on Des_a_rae's status
30th June
5 hrs ago by char1234vass
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time