Elavil prn for insomnia?
Thanks for all the replies about trazodone.  Can Elavil also be taken prn for insomnia?

I take elavil 10mg at night for insomnia and it has worked great. The trazodone made it impossible for me to focus at work and I felt hungover all the time.
HI MY DR WANTS TO PUT ME BACK ON ELAVIL BUT I M NOT SURE IF I WANT TO GO BACK ON IT BECAUSE I HAD GAINED WEIGHT WITH IT HAVE ANYONE U KNOW THAT TAKES THIS GAINED WEIGHT. HELP HEKP DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. PINKLADY
I took Elavil back when I was on Effexor, but never had problems with weight gain.

I did, however, wake up in the morning feeling really groggy.
I take amitriptyline (Elavil), but nortriptyline might be even better.  All I need is 10 mg of amitriptyline at night.  I don't like to take more because of constipation and weight gain and daytime sleepiness.  This is a medication you might want to take an hour before bedtime when possible, and make sure you can get 8 hours of sleep to avoid feeling tired in the morning.  It not only causes me to be relaxed and not hyperventilate, but gives pain relief from achy musculoskeletal pains and keeps migraines away for me.  For me it's better than the newer antidepressants because I don't see the same problem with night sweats or apathy.  I normally tend to have a bit of Raynaud's disease, and oddly enough, amitriptyline and nortriptyline both cause me to have warm hands.  I'm not saying it would have that effect on others with poor circulation, but my husband and I both notice my hands are warm and toasty when I take either of these drugs, plus my fingernail color looks less blue.  
Hello!  I have taken amitriptiline for years now.  I know that it does help with sleep, if you will take it about an hour before bedtime (like the poster above me said too.)  I was taking 100 mg. BUT~~that took a long time to get a tolerance.  If you will give it a few weeks, you will overcome the symptoms of daytime sleepiness. And YES~~it does help with headaches and body aches.  

Good luck to you!

Suanne
Hi, My New Doctor is trying to ween me off seroquel because of the terrible dryness to my eyes not to mention the huge expense of this drug. Has anyone been on seroquel and switched to Elavil. I'm weened down from 1200 mg (previous dr like to have k......me)!!  on my own to 200 mg each night taken with 40 mg melatonin to help me sleep. And I mean help.........not stay asleep and with no hangover of a morning. I've just had 2 cataract surgerys and seroquel makes my eyes and mouth way......too dry. Will greatly appreciate ALL posts. Thank You