Depression Community
Forced Cymbalta Withdrawal- Help!

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Forced Cymbalta Withdrawal- Help!

I would like to ask your opinion- I took my Cymbalta Wed (12/4) morning as normal (been on it 4-5 yrs for depression but been depression free since 10/2012) anyway Wed 12/4 I went into the hospital for a scheduled Gastric Bypass Reversal (long story) and I did not find out until the next morning 12/5/13 that I could not have the cymbalta that day. Well then today 12/6/13 my surgeon informs me that because it can't be crushed I can't have it and it can just switch to any other SSRI-- I tried to explain to him I quit clod turkey after my gastric bypass for personal reasons & it made me so sick it was negatively effecting my healing and health but he says there is No other choice  (he also does not seem to understand anti-depressants are not all interchangeable)

Reading through sites today I see that I have already started experiencing effects (severe sweating & easy tears) but because I just had major stomach surgery and am still hospitalized for it my biggest fears are the nausea, diarrhea, and gastric problems because so far I have been gastric issue free after my surgery and I know if "withdrawl (withdrawal) syndrome" starts in that way I may not be released anytime soon.

I have had very bad reaction to efexer (sp) and I was on Welbutrin before and it made me so anxious it was horrible so drugs in the same family are not my friends. I did read that Prozac can help and can also be weaned off of easily.

I am just frightened and even though I am at a good hospital ( UCLA ) they do not seem to think there is a problem. I guess I am maddest that because I am a ucla patient and all my Dr's are ucla Doc's and I have gone over my med list with them ALL a million times I feel that this issue should have been addressed before the last minute when I have already had surgery and am now forced into this situation.

ANY advice or help is welcome!!
It is strange that you can't take Cymbalta. When I took it, it was a capsule. You should be able to open it and find a powder.
Prozac is hard to get off apparently; considering all anti-depressants can get very addictive.. Umm the best I can say is distract yourself away from what's happening and I hope that can help. xx
dragrat is trying not to freak out.. Comment
KTowne Pretty sure if baby is a gi... Comment
KTowne commented on veronica0808's status
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time