Depression Community
From prozac to paxil

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

From prozac to paxil

I switched from Paxil to prozac because of weight gain - been on th eprozac for one week and depression/anxiety symptoms are back in full force.  I want to go back to Paxil - do I have to wait while the prozac gets out of my system, or can I start today?  Do I need to taper off the prozac (20mg) if I've only been on it a week?
thanks
As you havent been on the Prozac long I would think there may be less withdrawal, but ask your Doc and I think its best to do it slowly anyway, he should have told you that.
What is the equivalent in Prozac to equal 60 mg of Paxil. I want to change from Paxil to Prozac because of terrible weight gain.
Yea, Paxil is a bad one for weight gain. Fair warning... If any doctor tries to put you on Remeron and weight is a concern for you then SAY NO WAY.

I have been on both at differnt times in the past. You want to talk about weight gain? OMG! Remeron makes Paxil look like a diet pill! Taking Remeron is like wanting to be fat.
I have been on 40 mgs paxil for 17 years with symptoms of depresseion completly controlled.  I lost 60 pounds through exercize and diet before going to see the Doctor.  I told him I wanted to lose 55 more pounds.  He then switched me from paxil to prozac.  He didn't tell me about the side affects of going off the pazil.  He just told me to cut the paxil in half and take half a pill for a few days then begin the prozac overlapping a couple of days.  Well... it's been 3 wks since that visit.  Now I'm experiencing headaches, fatigue, anxieity and am crying constantly and feeling like the future is bleak.  From complete control to this???.  So I went back into the doctor's office and this time I saw the nurse practiononer and SHE told me that paxil is very difficult to get off of and has tons of side effects as you try to go off of it and that it should have been tapered off of more slowly.  She also said that dosage of the prozac was an entry level dose.  So I went from a faily high dose of paxil (40 mg) to an entry level dose of prozac!  She doubbled the prozac dose and asked me to give it another 3 weeks before deciding if I want to go back to the paxil or not.  Now that I know the difficulty of going off paxil, if I successfully get off it I don't think I will want to go back to it.
KTowne commented on hansen20's status
KTowne commented on photo
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time