Depression Community
Frustrated I Can't Lose the Depression Weight!

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I am in desperate need of answers. When I went into a deep depression last August, I gained 20 pounds in a matter of 3 months, and NOT from "just eating." I have spent the whole year trying to work it off - to no avail. I go to the gym, I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, I do some form of exercise at least 3 days a week, and I am taking 300 mg of Wellbutrin. I'm losing it because of the limited results from working out as well as the "miracle weight loss drug" Wellbutrin. EVERYONE seems to lose weight on it! I've been on it for 1 month after switching from Lexapro, which stopped working for me. Please help! :(
Welcome to the depression forum.  Does the leaflet that comes with the Wellbutrin say that you are likely to lose weight on it?  Have other people who are taking it tell you that they have lost weight since taking it?

The side effect of a lot of anti-depressants is weight gain.  It has nothing to do with over eating.  Many people will tell you they have gained weight whilst on anti-depressant medication.  Others have lost.  I think it all comes down to the individual person and how they respond to the drug they are taking.

I lost 17lbs recently whilst on Efexor, which is notorious for weight gain.  I went on a strict diet to lose weight to fit into a certain dress for a wedding.  The wedding is over now, and I am already putting weight on again.

When I stopped anti-depressants for a year, I did lose all the weight I put on.  The depression came back.  I think we have to make the decision that we may well put on weight whilst taking anti-depressants, but without them, what is the alternative?  Depression.  I would rather have extra pounds than depression.

I do not know what to advise you.  I say be glad your depression is controlled.  Look up past postings on weight loss and gain and see if you can find an answer there.  I know this subject worries a lot of people.
I had the same issue. I talked to my doc who put me on a prescription medication that has helped. Slowly but surely
Hi, I am first week without Effexor and I have started to be very moody and negative. I dont know if this is normal reaction to withdrawal but if this continues, i might go back on pills. I would rather switch the medication than go back on Effexor .In your situation did u go back on Effexor or something else? thanx
Emily_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
clean_in_ks commented on No Cirrhosis of the L...
opus88 commented on No Cirrhosis of the L...
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time