Depression Community
Giving up on AD meds...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Giving up on AD meds...

For some reason, I can't seem to tolerate AD meds.

I've tried Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Celexa and others, but always seem to suffer with some pretty bad side effects on all of them.

With the Paxil, I had insomnia, really bad night sweats and GI problems.

With the Effexor, I had really bad insomnia, heart palpitations and anxiety.

With the Wellbutrin, I actually got more depressed and even had a "road rage" incident while on it.

And the Celexa reacted badly with my blood pressure meds causing on-going PVC attacks and bouts of a-fib.

So, I've pretty much given up on them at this point.

The doctor also gave me Xanax (PRN), but I have been taking one (1) tablet on a daily basis, and it seems to be helping more than the previously mentioned meds without the side effects (other than some really weird dreams).

The only issue is that my doctor calls Xanax a "high", and doesn't believe it should be taken daily.

However, it has been working for me, so when I go to him this Friday for a follow up on the Paxil, I am going to tell him that I want to be put on Xanax as a daily dose and that I really don't want to be put on the AD meds anymore.
No doubt the initial side effects can be a real b*tch!  Like Bubulous has said,,the sleep WILL indeed come.

Please be careful with the Xanax, as it is habit forming.  The best way to take Xanax is either only "as needed" (here and there, not daily) when anxiety is at its worst, or for short term periods of time, a few weeks to a month or less if possible.  The longer you take it every day, you will have to deal with tolerance (where you will need a higher dose to maintain the same level of efficacy), and dependency, where you would experience w/ds if stopped abruptly.

Benzodiazepines are great meds for anxiety, but there are some considerations.  Definitely ask your doc the best way to proceed.  Worst case scenario, if you end uop needing the Xanax until you get used to the Effexor (which is probably a good idea), you'll just have to be slowly tapered off.

Is your doctor a psychiatrist?

Let us know how it's going!
I don't understand.  It is ok for him to warn you that it is abused by a lot of people and that it is addictive but it is prescribed for a reason and if you need to take it everyday, I don't see what the problem is.  Doctors crack me up these days.

That being said it is an addictive drug and you should be careful with it.  It does give people a buzz but for those that it helps, it is not about the buzz.  Advocate for yourself and don't let anyone make you feel like a drug seeker.  Is this a psych dr or a medical dr?
No need to get cracked up about doctors advice since there is potential for dependence.
From wikipedia "The potential for abuse among those taking it for medical reasons is controversial with some expert reviews stating that the risk is low and similar to that of other benzodiazepine drugs[3] and others stating that there is a substantial risk of abuse and dependence in both patients and non-medical users of alprazolam and that the pharmacological properties of alprazolam, high affinity binding, high potency, having a short elimination half-life as well as a rapid onset of action increase the abuse potential of alprazolam."
How long did you take each of the medications? Most side effects go away with continued usage.
No worries,

I am an addict myself.  I have seen both sides of it but I have a lot of friends that benefit greatly from it.  Not taking sides that is why I stated the positive and negative.

Anyway, thanks for your concern.

Larry
Sorry to hear you can't seem to find a med that works for you.

In addition to the info you've already received, let me just say that, for the MOST optimal efficacy, try very hard to ONLY take the Xanax when you really really need it.  Taking it reguarly every day will only be effective for so long, as your tolerance will build, and you will require a higher dose to maintain the same level of effectiveness, and also of course, taking it regularly will lead to physical dependency, where you will have to be carefully weaned off.

"I've tried Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Celexa and others, but always seem to suffer with some pretty bad side effects on all of them. "

Have you ever tried any other meds, like one of the older tricyclic antidepressants (like Elavil)?  Or a beta blocker (like Inderal)?  I'll be honest, your medication resume includes just about all of the meds that are historically more difficult to tolerate and/or come off of.  Just my opinion, but there are a lot of other meds I would have recommended trying first before those ones.  If you have it in you for one more try, perhaps you could give Zoloft a shot?  It's the most prescribed SSRI antidepressant for anxiety disorders, because it has a great track record of not only being effective, but also easy to tolerate.  Or, like I said, you could try a med in a completely different class.

I'm assuming you've been managing this with a psychiatrist?  If not, I highly recommend doing so.  They are much more knowledgeable about meds than a GP.

Let us know how you're doing, okay?
How long did you take each of the medications? Most side effects go away with continued usage. If you only tried each of them for a month that is when the side effects are the strongest.
I was on the Wellbutrin for about a week, stopped taking it after the road rage incident.

I tried Effexor twice, same problem both times. Was on them a few weeks.

Only used the Celexa for a few days as I found out there was an interaction with my HBP med (the doctor never mentioned the interaction either).

And Paxil, the most recent, I gave up on after a few days as I've just grown tired of all of the side effects from the other meds and really wanted to get some sleep and didn't want to wake up every 30 minutes soaked in sweat. Plus the GI problems were really bad as well (cramps, diarrhea). Not something I wanted to deal with for a few weeks to see if they wore off.

Been on Elavil, but that always made me horribly groggy the next day. I was given that to help me sleep, though. Was on Ambien as well. Can't remember if I've tried any of the other tri-cyclics though.

I am already on a beta blocker (metoprolol) for HBP.

And all of this has been from my GP. I haven't seen a psychiatrist. They really aren't much different, though. They just throw meds at you too until something sticks.

However, my other half is seeing a psychiatrist, and he as her on an AD med PLUS three 0.5 mg Klonipin (klonopin) a day (she suffers from severe anxiety and depression). She's been on 1.5 mg of Klonipin (klonopin) for some time and hasn't had to increase her dose.

I just want something to work. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. :(
Like birdie said, the side effects go away after a while.  You are right psych drs are going to give you meds as well but you have to be willing to give the meds a try.  Xanax and Klonipin (klonopin) are not really prescribed for depression, mostly anxiety.  Drs are not trying to torture you with the side effects.  It is their job to decide if the therapeutic effect of the medicine is worth the side effects and sometimes it is.  You have to give something a chance or you will never find one that works.

Don't base what your treatment should be like on what your other half (or anyone else) is taking.  We are all different and our treatments are all different.  

I know it is frustrating but you have to be patient.  Depression doesn't go away over night and there is no med that is going to just fix it by itself.  Every time you skip a med and don't give it time to work, you don't get to scratch it off the list so you might as well have never tried it.  Please be patient and work with your dr.  I have been through it before and I have been on a  lot of meds but I finally found some that work and they have greatly improved the quality of my life.
Great post from Bubulous!!  Read and re-read that a few times!

Let me also say that it would help you if you try to have a little bit of a pocitive attitude.  Believe me, I understand you're frustrated and fed up and don't FEEL like being positive...but it WILL help.  You're making your mind up about things before giving them a fair chance.

Just like your post about psychiatrists.  You have a very negative view of them.  You're right in that their job is typically to find the right medication regimen to help people.  Yes, they don't always have the best bedside manner...but they can and WILL help you...but you have to TRY too.

I'm not suggesting that you stay on meds that are giving you unbearable side effects, but from what you've written, I don't think you gave all of them a fair shake.  Also, like I said before...all of the meds you mentioned (minus the Celexa) are notorious for being hard to tolerate.  It's like you somehow managed to try the very worst, when there were probably better options.  So, for that reason alone, it's not fair to say you are giving uop on meds.  

This is where its important to have a psychiatrist who can help you navigate through this.  If you start a med and have side effects, you communicate with the doctor and figure out a game plan, not just throw in the towel.

Finding the right med to treat things like depression and anxiety IS basically trial and error.  It's not an easy process sometimes...I know that...been there, done that..but you have to give a  little.  It's absolutely worth a couple of weeks of some side effects, when you finally realize that you've found something that really helps.  Each med you try is going to take time.  To be fair..you should give these meds 6-8 weeks (longer if you're started out on a low dose and tapered up).  Are you seeking meds primarily for depression or anxiety?  Which issue is a bigger problem for you? That should be what you're seeking the med for.  Sometimes...people seek treatment for the lesser of the two issues, and then the "right" meds are not tried first.  A lot of the meds treat both, but it's important to recognize which disorder is the primary one.  Like for me, depression is secondary to the anxiety...so it would make more sense to try an SSRI over an SNRI, which are more appropriate for depression, and can actually make anxiety worse.

How about therapy?  Have you had any experience with that?  That's a must...whether meds are involved or not.

Take the first step...ask for a referral to a psychiatrist..and go in with an open mind...be willing to listen to the recommendations and be wiling to give a med a fair chance.  Try not to let all of these past "failures" affect your attitude too much.  Some people do sincerely just have a history of not beibng able to tolerate meds..I don't think you can fairly say that.  I think you threw in the towel prematurely in some of the cases, instead of trying to deal with what was going on.

Hang in there...we're all here for you!!!  Hope to hear that you made an appointment!
I had frustrating yawns non-stop for the first 5 or so weeks on Celexa but then one day it just stopped and I was on it for 6 more months, so one day or 2 of usage like you did doesn't even count. The med builds in your system and sort of rewires the part of your brain that is depressed or anxious, so until 6 weeks is up you can't know its full positive effects either.
It takes the body a while to stop "rebelling" at this newcomer med, so you can't expect to get an immediate good effect but have no side effects.
The fact your doc incorrectly prescribed a med that had bad known interactions with another is just a medical error, and not to be confused with your worry that meds don't agree with you.
I believe a few weeks is enough time to see if side effects will subside.

I talked to the doctor about the Effexor and not being able to sleep for several days. He said he would have taken me off them based on that anyway. Furthermore, as I mentioned, I tried Effexor in the past with the same results.

The Wellbutrin, as I mentioned, caused me to have a road-rage incident and also made me more depressed. I believe staying on them would have been detrimental.

And, as also mentioned, the Celexa reacted with my metoprolol. I ended up having PVC's/palps for about an hour after taking it.

The Paxil was just basically the last straw with waking up every 30 minutes covered in sweat and having bad cramps, shakes and diarrhea. Not something I really felt like dealing with for two weeks or however long it took to shake them, IF I were to be able to shake them.

I have GI issues (GERD, possible IBS, food allergies, etc., but have never "officially" been diagnosed with anything), so that may be exasperating the side effects or may be the reason my body has a hard time dealing with them.

I am going to the doctor for a follow up tomorrow, so I am just going to stick with the Xanax for now and have him give me a referral to go see a GI doctor to find out whats going on with my stomach and/or intestines and go from there.

I guess I'm just tired of having problems for years and not getting anywhere with doctors, other than to have them tell me "Try this medication and see if it works!" every time I visit them.

I want solutions, not band-aids. :/
Your premise is that you believe several weeks is enough, however that is not the reality that clinical testing has proven. Your health professional has experience dealing with the meds so it would be helpful to discuss this issue with them.
Some of the meds you used were only 1 or 2 times so that isn't even time for a side effect to occur in lots of people. It is possible that you are confusing a bad day with the way you were feeling since you did not try them very long.
Bubulous said it best - "Every time you skip a med and don't give it time to work, you don't get to scratch it off the list so you might as well have never tried it"
After talking with the doctor, I am going to try the Effexor again since that's the one I can tolerate the most, but this time he put me on the XR so it doesn't all hit my body at once.

However, I took my first dose yesterday and did not sleep at all last night. Been up for more than 24 hours now. I am yawning like I am tired, but if I try to lay down and go to sleep, I can't. It seems like my body is tired, but my brain isn't.
I have definitely been there before.  Let me know how long it goes on.  I usually do it when I am in a mixed state.  I wake up and yawn for a long time but I am not tired.  Even if you can't go to sleep I would recommend lying down and letting your body rest.  Sleep will come eventually.  That being said if this seems to get out of control, call your dr.  It can lead into some pretty bad depression if you stay up too long.
I would fill my script at a 24 hour pharmacy for support when I took meds.

Is your doctor a psychiatrist?

Let us know how it's going!
Finally got exhausted around 8:30 PM tonight (34+ hours with no sleep) and went to bed. But, then I woke up about 10:00 PM with SEVERE heartburn, abdominal pain, my heart was racing (~100 BPM) and my blood pressure was through the roof (180/105). I felt like I was going to die.

I took a Pepcid Complete and drank some water to dilute the acid. That helped to bring my BP down.

When I talked to my doctor, I got a referral for a Gastroenterologist. Honestly, I think my issues of depression and anxiety have to do with my GI issues more than anything. I tried to explain to my PCP that I've had GI issues my whole life (as did my mother and grandfather), but he didn't want to seem to listen. That's one of the reasons I got the referral.

I still have heartburn and slight abdominal pain, but it's not as bad, and my BP and heart rate are much better. Can't get back to sleep, though.

All this from one pill. Like I said, I can't seem to tolerate AD meds.

Going to stick with the Xanax for now. It works. And I CERTAINLY don't want a repeat of the last 40 hours again. This will be the second time this happened to me in the past month from AD meds. Last time I landed in the ER.

Hopefully I can get somewhere with the Gastroenterologist.
Yes stomach problems are painful and can make you feel sick and anxious. Read this thread.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Anxiety/Help-Please-Stress-and-acid-reflux/show/1894147?personal_page_id=890501
Ran across this page which is quite insightful.

Apparently I'm not drinking enough water as I should be which could be the cause of both my HBP and my reflux issues.

http://watercure2.org/mankind.htm

I have no idea who this guy is, so can't comment. If he is not a doctor but just a theorist, beware, because he may be incorrect.

All my comments on that other thread I supplied about how to do a bland diet to deal with gastritis including the sipping water to dilute stomach acid is mainstream medicine, and you can find them on the internet.
At this point, the doctors aren't doing much better unfortunately. All they seemingly want to do is throw pills at me. I have yet to have any sort of test,  MRI, X-ray or anything like that, other than a colonoscopy about six years ago when I was finding large amounts of blood in my toilet after going to the bathroom.

Heck, I can't even remember the last time I had a blood test (although they did take my blood at the ER a few weeks ago, but neither I nor my doctor got the results of the tests).
You keep going into the same loop, saying pills bother you and you have tried lots and doctors don't have anything to offer and have failed you, but as Bubulous and mursegirl pointed out, you really haven't tried any - just kind of a sniff of them here and a sniff there.
None of the meds you did could possibly help you after the day or 2 you tried each one, but you claim you have a special theory that it only takes a day or so for a med to work and for side effects to disappear. Meds have gone through blinded trials with many participants whereas the guy you quote has probably just hypothesized something that was never tested.

There are probably 9,999 unsuccessful drugs that didn't make it through trials for every one that succeeds, because 9,999 theories (from researchers who spent years working out the details) didn't stand up when tried on humans in a trial - so even experts theories are just maybes until proven.
I never claimed that I have a theory that it only takes a few days. I've tried them, and they are OBVIOUSLY making me sick. What, am I supposed to do, "deal" without sleeping for days, live with very high blood pressure, intense heartburn, severe abdominal cramps, diarrhea, horrid night sweats and other problems for several weeks just to see if they subside?? I'm sorry, but I'd rater be depressed than go through that for a week or more. I would, literally, go nuts if I had to deal with all of that for more than a few days. I've been missing work because I am sick, because these drugs are making me sick, and - luckily - they haven't fired me yet.

And about them throwing pills at me, I am TIRED of pills. Like I said, they've never tested me for anything, not even blood tests. They aren't listening to what I am telling them, all they are doing is saying "Here, try this pill" and if that doesn't work, it's another pill, then another, then another. No matter what my problem is...reflux/heartburn, depression, pain, whatever, they never order tests, they just talk to me for five minutes, make an assumption based on what I tell them, then tell me to take a pill.

You would think by this point the doctor would be saying "Hmmm...I wonder why these pills are making you sick?". But, no. He just throws another pill at me.

And you know what else? When I talked to the doctor to get a referral for the Gastroenterologist, do you know what he said "Oh, all he's going to do is tell you to take pro-biotics and fiber pills". Gee. More pills.

I don't want pills. I want to find out why I have GI problems. I want to find out why every AD pill I take makes me sick. I want to find out why everything I eat or drink gives me acid reflux. I want to find out why certain foods affect me so much. I want to find out if I am allergic to certain foods. I want to find out if it's what I'm eating, how I'm eating, when I'm eating.  But no one ever orders tests, they just say "Here, take these pills!".

Pills don't fix the problem, they only mask the symptoms.
I will point out a few inconsistencies in your attitude toward meds.

4 posts ago you said "I still have heartburn and slight abdominal pain,..." - All this from one pill.
However I doubt Effexor did that to you since you have a problem with heartburn already.

On Feb 7 you said "I believe a few weeks is enough time to see if side effects will subside."
That is just your theory, and you never took any meds for a few weeks anyway, just a few days to 1 week, so that is why I posted as I did earlier today.

Meds for anti-anxiety gradually build in your system and take up to 8 weeks to get the full effect. Possibly that point hasn't been made on this thread. I don't think on Med Help you will find any information from people that goes against the medical profession. For anxiety the only things that MH people think work are finding a way to relax, therapy or if the anxiety is severe, meds.
I will not post to this thread anymore but wish you good luck because anxiety is  awful. Here is one guy's story on CNN this week.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/11/health/anxiety-first-person-irpt/index.html?hpt=hp_bn13
Yes, I have heartburn, but I've never had such intense heartburn before in my life, accompanied with high blood pressure and abdominal pain. The only thing I can surmise is that it was cased by the Effexor. Nothing else was different for me that day. And this isn't the first time I've had the same problem with the Effexor either. Furthermore, when I stopped taking it, the issues went away.

When I tried it a while back, I had the same problems. The only thing I can think that's different is when I originally took Effexor several years ago and it worked for me is that I took the name brand version (mfg. by Wyeth) and not the generic (mfg. by Teva). Not really sure what the differences are, but that could be the issue, who knows.

From what I have been reading, though, people do say there is a difference between the two. I've read posts where people have taken the generic form and have gotten headaches and end up throwing up for days. Quoting one person, he had "a very severe case of what seems to be acid reflux and nausea. I've never in my life had this chest burning, stomach irritation before now." Sound familiar? :P

Check out this thread (251 responses)...
http://www.topix.com/forum/business/biotech/TE1Q1V03KVRA3CGB5

Apparently I'm not the only one having the issues with the generic version. Going to talk to the doctor about going on the brand name version, starting with the 37.5, NOT the 75's he has been starting me with (which I think is part of the problem as well).

P.S. Sorry for getting  angry with you. All of this has just left me stressed out. And, yes, I understand it takes time for the AD meds to work. :)
More complaints about the generic version of Effexor:
http://depression.about.com/b/2010/07/01/generic-effexor-xr-receives-fda-approval.htm

Apparently Teva has had complaints about their other drugs as well...

http://www.drug-injury.com/druginjurycom/2008/09/tevas-budeprion-xl-will-get-another-safety-and-efficacy-review-by-fda.html

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Anxiety/TEVA-bad-generics/show/342708

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Pain-Management/Generic-oxcontin-teva/show/454191

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Anxiety/Just-started-Teva/show/1361385

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Depression/Is-there-any-difference-between-viepax-and-teva-venlafaxine/show/1142615

The list goes on...
I have just read on another site about how Teva is so unlike brand Effexor.  I was on a generic form of Effexor XR, not Teva, but my body kn ew it was different.

I went to my doctor and insisted I was put back on Brand Effexor XR.  Many people find the generics differ from the brand names.

I must admit I get heartburn but never associated with the antidepressant.  I just take antacid pills to ease it.
Just a comment on one of your posts, birdie:

" I don't think on Med Help you will find any information from people that goes against the medical profession. For anxiety the only things that MH people think work are finding a way to relax, therapy or if the anxiety is severe, meds. "

Actually, that's not true.  We have a lot of regular, long-time posters who strongly believe in a different, non-med, non-pharma approach to treating anxiety.  

Paxiled is just one of those people.  He has a fantastic knowledge base of treatments that are more alternative.  We also have an alternative therapies forum, where people can also find ideas geared away from more traditional medical models.  I would refer anyone to Paxiled as a resource person in cases where people are looking for a less traditional approach.

I personally have next to zero experience with that kind of thing, so I'm no help in that dept, as my own personal (and professional) experience lies more with the traditional medical appraoch...but there definitely is info here for people who would prefer to take that route.  

There are all kinds of ways to treat anxiety...I'm all for any of them...as long as they are helping.  If standing on your head while singing a song gets rid of anxiety...by all means...sing away!  :0)  It's about whatever works for each individual person...there is certainly no "one size fits all".  I'ver learned that over the years.  What applies to one (or most ) may not apply to others.

Bbaggins....There's no question some people are extremely sensitive to these kinds of meds and have difficulty tolerating them.  You may be one of them.

As for the other stuff, a thorough medical work up, including bloodwork should have been the VERY first intervention.  It's always smart to rule out a physical/medical problem that could be causing the symptoms (at least some of them).

If you feel your doctor isn't listening to you, and has not tried at all to rule out a medical issue, I would recommend finding a new doctor.  If indeed you're dealing with anxiety (which, from what you've posted sounds likely)...then perhaps it would be best to try a non-medication route to treat it.  That would involve some aggressive therapy (not just once a month), and some hard work on your part.  Plenty of people successfully manage their anxiety without medications....so for now, I think that's just going to have to be your mindset...to give this a go without them...unless you can find a new doctor who has some different appraoches in mind.

Keep on your doctor about looking into your symptoms from a medical standpoint too, that's important.  The other thing you can do, that may help, is rather than treating the symptoms with an AD...you could ask your doc to treat you symptomatically.  So, if you are having heartburn, you treat that....if you are having palpitations, treat that.  Sometimes, just the sensations of the symptoms are enough to cause major anxiety...so to minimnize or eliminate the symptoms, may, in turn help the anxiety.

Keep in touch...let us know how it's going!  I know it's frustrating.  We're pulling for you, you know that!
No need for you to apologize for getting angry or frustrated on this thread, especially since it is your own thread and you are seeking answers. I don't think you said anything offensive toward me anyway.
I have contributed all I can to it, so leave it up to others to continue working with you. From the CNN article it is evident anxiety is not always predictable for anyone, so anyone suffering from it can feel very out of sorts.
Yeah, anxiety *****, especially when you can't control it, and its even worse when it happens for no particular reason, especially in public.

On top of that, when you become anxious, you become more anxious, and more anxious. It's like an endless loop.

I think I'm going to "detox" a little bit from all of the different AD meds I have been taking then talk to the doctor about going on Effexor...the REAL Effexor, not the generic stuff.

P.S. Stay away from any meds made by Teva Pharmaceuticals.
Since I've been mentioned here, I'll add a couple of cents.  I don't think digestive problems are an area doctors are very good at.  With most people, the problem is very individual, whereas doctors learn by statistics that may apply to some artificial general person but not to anyone real.  The other problem is that what doctors and psychiatrists know about medication is paid for and provided by pharmaceutical companies -- it's very difficult to find independent research.  Another problem is that all the drug studies on humans are short term, and they weed out all those who might be difficult to treat, so these studies aren't all that applicable to the general population.  All of the medications mentioned here turned out to have effects and side effects the companies knew about but didn't report to the FDA when they applied for approval, and all have been successfully sued many times.  So it's important to tolerate different viewpoints, and it's important to have a psychiatrist who is willing to listen.  So there's that.  As to digestive problems, medication of all types can cause these problems, as they are all liver toxic and the liver is involved with digestion.  Some are more toxic than others, and some people will have no problems and others will have many because their immune systems are more active.  Anti-depressants that affect serotonin are very likely to cause some digestive problems because most of the serotonin in the body is in the digestive system, not in the brain.  As these meds cause the body to operate in an artificial way, that can make it difficult to stop taking them and can cause certain people to have strange reactions, whereas others just slide by.  We just can't generalize.  If it were me, I'd try to get a handle on the digestive part of this by seeing a naturopath or holistic nutritionist, or just trying some simple things and see if they work.  For example, aloe vera juice and DGL and simple chamomile are just three remedies that can help with stomach acid so that it becomes balanced again, and there are many other remedies as well, Changing the diet is essential.  Some very common foods are not well tolerated by humans, including dairy and wheat, and can lead to a lot of digestive trouble that is easily solved.  Medication for these things, such as antacids and repressants, will lead to a rebound effect where the stomach is forced to keep producing still more acid because it must in order to digest protein.  Now, anxiety and depression are tougher nuts to crack, but as Nursegirl said, you seem to be being directed to some of the most difficult meds out there, such as Paxil and Effexor.  If you think these are hard to take, just wait until you decide you don't want to take them anymore!  Not fun.  As for imipramine, a tricyclic, yes, it makes people tired and headachy and constipated.  But for others it doesn't, and I believe data shows that it works as well as ssris.  For me, the dry mouth was pretty dreary, and it stopped working.  Paxil worked better, but quitting, well, let's not get into that.  So not all meds are created equal.  But if, as the poster says, the side effects are that extreme, any doctor worth his diploma will take him off that med and not hope it works some undetermined time down the road -- many people are sensitive to meds.  And while some side effects get better with time, others get worse -- and one that gets worse are digestive problems.  Another thing -- some of these meds you're taking are very stimulating, such as Effexor and its class and wellbutrin, so if you're sensitive to stimulation those aren't your meds.  There are natural remedies that also deal with these problems if you're having problems with meds, and they have fewer side effects, the body doesn't reject them, and they're easy to quit.  There's a book called Natural Highs by Hyla Cass, a psychiatrist at UCLA, that might give some alternative ideas here.  Keep in mind, everyone, that most medications are derived from natural remedies but are much stronger in action and removed from the plant form the body knows how to digest.  We should all take people's word for their problems -- it's all we have to go by.  Hope this dissertation helps the poster have some hope there's something out there that might work.
Just one more comment -- the mainstream is where you go to drown.  Everything mainstream generally is proven to be untrue a few years later when someone out of the mainstream turned out to be right.  Respect the unknown.
Thanks for the input, Paxiled. Very informative. I'll have to check out some of the natural remedies you have suggested. I would LOVE to find a remedy for my chronic heartburn that works.

On a side note, I have taken Effexor in the past (the name brand version), and did not have any problems with it, other than the brain zaps when I weened myself off the medication (although they lasted for several months). So, I am guessing the issues with the generic is that something else in it is affecting me.

As I have now found out through research, generics are definitely NOT the same as their name-brand counterparts even though the FDA says they are.

From this point forward, I am going to thoroughly research any generic medication I am given and, if possible, request the name brand version. I really don't trust generics anymore.
I tried. I really have. But I can't deal with the side effects.

I tried taking my meds again yesterday (brand name) and was up all night again. Finally got to sleep about 6 AM this morning, woke up two hours later with severe nausea and had to run to the bathroom where I had severe diarrhea.

I'm still nauseated, haven't eaten anything today except for saltine crackers, and have been sipping on Powerade to keep my fluids up. The very few crackers I ate gave me heartburn.

I can't stand loud noises right now. Haven't slept but probably a total of six hours since Monday, and yet I don't feel tired or like I want to go to sleep. I've missed three days of work this week, and probably will not be going in tomorrow either.

I think I would rather deal with the depression than have to go through this for any AD med.

I have, for now, stopped taking all of my meds except for my HBP med. I am even avoiding any heartburn meds.  
So sorry that the meds affect you so badly.  We all react differently.  If you cannot tolerate them, there is no point in putting your body through all the trauma.

I would say you have dodged a bullet.  Once you start antidepressants and want to quit, the withdrawal symptoms are worse than the depression you had before you started.  You might want to explore natural supplements.   Omega 3, 1000-1500mg/day is known to relieve depression symptoms plus it is really beneficial for cardiac issues such as HBP.  Magnesium also helps relieve both depression and HBP.  Also the B vitamins support both brain and cardiac health.
      You mentioned you also have GI issues.  Serotonin plays a roll in both GI and brain health.  Many who suffer from depression also have GI issues. It is kinda the chicken and the egg... if your gut is malfunctioning it effects your ability to properly absorb nutrients which in turn effects your brain health. And stress plays havoc with the GI tract.
       Consider yourself fortunate that your body has rejected Antidepressant pharmaceuticals.  I think you are wize to stick to your guns and follow your intuition as to what substance(s) are right for you.  You might want to consult a Dr who embraces supporting your health with medicine that 'does no harm'

here's to better health,
             mojave
Was still having issues on Thursday night/Friday morning. I would try to go to sleep, but wake up with excruciating pain in my abdomen (felt like someone was pouring acid on my intestines). The pain was so bad that I was almost doubled over and couldn't stand long. I had the shakes, cold sweats and a multitude of other things.

Antacids weren't working, water wasn't working, nothing was working to calm things down, so I went to the ER.

After several blood tests and a CAT scan (just to check the liver and gallbladder and make sure there was no blockage), the only thing they could come back with is something in the medications were causing my intestines to flare up pretty badly (Enteritis). They give me Protonix via IV, IV fluids (had some dehydration) and a few other drugs administered by IV. This helped clear things up, but I was still feeling pretty sick.

Because they couldn't find anything life threatening or anything like that, they sent me home but with a bunch of pretty powerful meds.

The thing of it is is that I have researched every medication that I had been taking month prior, but can't find a link between them. There's some ingredient, or possibly combination of ingredients, in these medications that are causing the flare-ups.

I am going to see a GI doc in the near future and see if I can nail down what it is/was and see if I can finally get my GI issues under control.

On a side note, I have been off the meds since then and have been feeling pretty good both mentally and physically. Well, that was until I had to put my cat down last night. :(
Aw, so sorry about your cat!   That's just awful, to lose a pet!  They become like our children!

Definitely follow up with your GI doc, and perhaps try one of the remedies Paxiled mentioned.  I hope you can find something to help ease the GI issues.
Oh I am so sorry you have been so poorly, and had to go to hospital.  Also, as a cat lover, I am so very sorry about your dear pet.  

I am glad however that now you are off the meds you are feeling better.  That is very good news.

Let us know how you get on with the GI doctor.

Take care
I take a yoghurt drink with all the good bacteria daily and also a yoghurt with same daily.  Do you think this might help your stomach problems?

How are you doing now.  Keep us updated.
jugglin commented on She starting to love ...
14 mins ago
Heather8448 Life on Life's terms Comment
53 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
1 hr ago