Has Celexa ruined my sex life, or is it me?
I'm a 22 year old female and have been taking  celexa off and on for a while.  I have been diagnosed with clinical major depression and I  thought celexa was helping me, until  now. I was first put on celexa a few years ago, and although I was skeptical about it, I couldn't deny that it was helping me. However, at that time, I was in a long distance relationship overseas and as such my sex life was practically non-existent. Because of my skepticism, I went off celexa, trying to manage things without medication.
Now, I've been in a sturdy relationship for 2 years with a different guy and we're common law. The first year, our sex life was amazing, and I had a voracious appetite to the point where he had trouble keeping up sometimes. Then, due to other circumstances, I decided to go back on celexa after a year into our relationship. I also have a mirena IUD i thought that my lack of libido/cramping, etc was the result of the added hormones. To make matters worse, since I've been on celexa, I CANNOT have an orgasm- something that I could previously achieve on a regular basis with my partner. This is NOT for lack of trying- we've explored new things together, always try to keep it fresh, and have tried multiple techniques, including toys, mental stimulation, new positions, extended foreplay, etc. Even "flying solo" the best I can achieve is barely an orgasm (if you can even call it that). Even though my libido is practically dead, I still continue to try. Still, I cannot orgasm, and it's frustrating/embarrassing. He doesn't put pressure on me and continually reassures me and is supportive, but I can't help but feel like less of a woman. =( I should also mention that I get regular checkups with my ob/gyn and everything is fine (including the mirena). Regardless, I can't help but feel like something is wrong with me.
-Frustrated and embarrassed
I'm a male, but I had some similar problems when I was taking Celexa and Effexor. It's difficult to desribe how it affected me, but I had trouble getting across the finish line myself. I could perform but my libido had decreased and there were times I just couldn't orgasm. I will say this, while I was on Effexor, when I did reach climax it was much more intense. I finally got off the meds and chose to fight the depression and anxiety holistically with therapy and just forcing myself to make changes in my thinking and behavior. I'm happy I did it. It's not easy, but I couldn't live with the side effects of the meds.
I have had issues with this too.  It still continues even after I stopped taking it.  I have been off of it for 3 months-I don't know how long it takes your body to truly recover after using these drugs.