Depression Community
Has anybody else cured their severe depression with Vitamin b-12 inject...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Has anybody else cured their severe depression with Vitamin b-12 injections?

I've spent my life suffering from major depression on and off... I always seemed to bounce back until this past year and half were utter, mind-losing, gut wrenching hell. I was so depressed all I could think about was dying .. but yet things in my life weren't THAT bad. It made no sense. I was convinced and told by doctors that I had clinical depression and it was a chemical imbalance and I needed medication.

I took the drugs. They helped a bit. But now looking back I could see that they were masking my feelings and i was not myself. I could not go off the drugs because I would be so much worse but on them I had side effects no matter what I tried .. Dizziness, fatigue, slow-reaction time, blurry vision. I felt like I was slowly losing my mind.

I would take supplements (even Vitamin B12 orally - which must have done nothing), I'd work out, do yoga .. every day .. and still I felt I was losing my battle with depression. I just wanted to die. I saw a life ahead of me on medication and forever altering who I am and how I feel and what I am able to do...

Until...
After two years of reading countless articales, books and people's experiences with depression and medication .. I decided to try injecting myself with Vitamin B12 with a syringe. I literally, instantly started to feel better ...
I stopped taking my medication after tapering off within two weeks. And I kept shooting the b12 every few days in my butt.

A few weeks on .. I have more energy, more strength, more motivation and am happier and clearer than I have ever been in my life. It amazes me that all these doctors could not have told to try this? They just wanted to give me more drugs .. It makes me sick to think that I put so much trust and faith in these idiots and let them convince me that I needed them. It's no coincidence that most psychiatrists are not spiritual at all either. I hated the antidepressants. But I took them.

I don't anymore.
I am not saying that this is right for everyone. Though, I did have pretty severe depression and don't have it anymore. My work outs are much more intense and I just feel strong like I am not so worried about how I might feel in the future or what I could endure. I feel strong.

I hope that more people will try taking these injections and educating themselves about depression.
Maybe some people like those drugs.. I hated them.

Another fact, I have been a vegetarian and almost vegan most of my life... this could have something to do with the fact that I probably needed the b12, but countless doctors.. hospitals ... blood work .. nobody found that out?

I'm just saying ...
Anybody else had experiences?
Namaste,

A vitamin B12 injection acts as a stimulant for energizing the body, through cobalamin, which transmits its “anti-stress” elements to the human body. For example a recommended effective cure for chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is 6-70mg dose of vitamin B12 intramuscular injection per week for 3 weeks.

Is it possible you were suffering from CFS and anemia with just a mild form of depression thrown in all this time disguised as depression.

Just a thought since I can't find any clinical evidence that B12 injections alone help major depression, although vitamin B complex may be added to other medications to supplement the treatment of bipolar disorder.

Regardless, you're feeling better and that is great, but I'd still discuss the issue with your helathcare provider. Injections of B12 are not usually given as often as you are taking them.
With depression it's important to try the options that are standing. For you, B-12 helped. I believe in the balance the body tries to get back in. My daily supplements are right now B-vitamin, Omega 6 and magnesium. This time around (I usually have horrible PMS swings) it seems to be more stable. That is a tiny little victory to me and I am delighted to hear that you found a way to stabilize your vitamin/mineral-balance too.

I don't know how usual it is to check those things when the diagnose is depression, but it sure acts in! I hoep you continue to feel in control and on top of this Daybreaker!

Florena
Thanks Guys. So far it's been a couple weeks and teh b12 seems to really be working. I am doing daily or every other day injections of 0.5 ml to build up the b12 in my system again. I feel a lot better so I must need it.
I am so happy for you!  Finding something that works is awesome, and getting off of the meds.  Good luck !!

BTW, where do you purchase the injections?  Just curious.

Alley
I purchase them over the counter at Shoppers Drug Mart here in Ontario, Canada.
I am soon moving to London , Uk and will need to see if I need to bring a stock with me as I hear it's not as readily avaliable everywhere as it is here. I think in New York for example you can't buy it over the counter.

Update:

My depression was pretty bad and I've had it most of my life.. I feel like a different person since I have been doing b12, only more myself if that makes sense. It's amazing to me how the lack of one vitamin that apparently the doctor said they didn't even test for when they kept doing all my blood work.. Can you believe that?

I had to figure it out for myself.
I am not depressed anymore and I feel really strong and just a lot clearer and not feeling the anxiety or grief.
All the doctors wanted to do was give me drugs. My psychiatrist is glad I am feeling better and I'm seeing him a lot less..

It just makes me upset to think there are probably a lot of people going through the same thing and being misdiagnosed and if you were like me and hate the meds, and they were making stealing yourself and your life away from you...
then I really hope others will try this.

I do take a shot almost daily right now to build up a healthy reserve in my system..
My doctors say this ok.

If it works for you then go for it!  Maybe you could purchase them online when you move?  I don't know if that would be an option.   I was taking B12 vitamins for a while (I was on a huge health kick) along with other vitamins, I can say, I did feel better, but not enough to get off the meds.  Although, I was close. I think when I am "healthy" I feel better in general, so if you were vitamin defient (sp?) then I can see where it would help.

Keep it up, I love your positive attitude!!

Alley
Thanks.

Vit b12 taken orally did nothing for me.
It doesn't really absorb that way that's why people do the shots.
Haven't tried the B-12 shots yet, but I do want to. I suffer from severe depression that so completly exausts me both mentally and physically that all I want to do is sleep all the time.

It's like I have absolutly no energy at all in my body or mind, even with my AD meds. My AD meds help with the depression, but not much for my cronic (chronic) exaustion and severe fatuge.

So tell me more! This really helpped you get your energy level back?
How do I get the B-12 to inject? exactly how do I inject myself and with what type of syrnge?

I hate needles, but I hate my cronic (chronic) sleepiness and exaustion much more, so I am open to trying ANYTHING!

More details please!

For me the b12 initially gave me a lot more energy yes, now a few weeks on I just feel balanced out. But I am not tired as I used to be. You could be suffering from the same thing but it is hard to tell unless you try it for yourself. My depression was also severe and I felt like I was losing my mind. I feel restored now slowly.

In Canada you can buy sterile B-12 over the counter from the pharmacist as well as syringes.. I just use a normal syringe and I so 0.5 ml injections.. when I feel the need which was every day or every other day to begin ... now I'm down to every three days.
Some places you may need a perscription for needles or maybe try an AIDS clinic?? I don't know...

The best place to inject yourself with least amount of sensation or risk of mistake is in the butt.. you need to inject into a muscle not a vein...that's very important.
There is a good video on YouTube that shows you how too.. search for nurse b 12 injection..

Regardless make sure you have someone who knows what they're doing show you how, I found a simple video showed me but it was made by a nurse.
I would ask your pharmacist where you live for info, or the next time you see your doctor..

The first time you inject yourself it's scary and took me 15 mins!
But now I'm used to it-- it's not so hard to inject it in your rump.. and takes me like 2 mins. I usually do it pre-workout.

I hear Madonna is obsessed with giving herself  B12 shots as are some athletes. But rest assured it's natural and not a drug. The body will take what it needs and get rid of the rest.

I'm not a doctor so talk to someone who is or would know.
I'm not saying this is your golden ticket but it worked for me.

I really appreciate you taking the time out to explain the shots.  I'm going to ask my dr. next time I see him.  My psych had put me on ritalin and I HATED it.  I did boost me up, but made me jittery and then I would crash.  Do you crash with the shots?  

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Alley
No of course not. There are no side effects- b12 is just a vitamin .. unless you are deficient you won't feel much they say. But It is worth a shot as sometimes they don't test b12 in routine blood work etc. or it doesn't show up as low.
I've read there is no such thing as toxicity with b12 from taking too much but there is from taking B6 so be careful there!

B12 is natural , the body needs it .. there is certianly no crash or adverse effects, hopefully just a balancing out - bringing back to life effect which is what I experienced. Goodluck

On a lighter note

I  read Madonna carries them around with her!

He he
smart woman. haha.
Liquid B12 cahnged my life. I drop in my coffee, H20 throught the day. Went off meds, and I also tke Folic acid.. it worked for me.. I have energy, happy, and much more cleared headed without The Zoloft!!!!!!!!!
In my 20's I suffered from severe depression with anxiety/panic disorder. I did have a very bad childhood, but I never felt that it bothered me in my adult life. When bad depression and anxiety struck people said they weren't surprised given my past.. but I never felt that it was a problem, or rather I didn't have a problem with it. I couldn't really figure out why I was depressed. They had me on many different medications, and I even landed in the mental hospital. I couldn't believe that happened to me.. and it was all very scary of course. I even thought I was losing my mind. After a very years of pure torture and misery, they noticed my b12 levels were low, and I got a b12 shot. (just one) Coincidentally or not I started feeling better after that period. The depression and anxiety faded and I felt like a normal person.

This relief period lasted for about 3 or 4 years, then it came back as of last year exactly.. I felt it come gradually.. the depression and anxiety. It was winter like it is now, so I loaded up on vitamin D and B12.. but I didn't notice a different. A year later and refusing to take anti-depressants again, no matter how bad its been (its been horrific) I did another blood test. They found vitamin b12 very very low. So today I took the shot again. My doc recommends me to take it the next 3 weeks once a week, and then after that once a month. We will see what happens. I hope that is whats wrong here, because this kind of depression becomes intolerable at times. Also, I took another blood test to determine the absorbsion level for my b12. I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, but I don't eat a lot of meat. Its something like twice a week only. We will see what happens.
Hi All,

I have been suffering with depression on and off for nineteen years and have battled with shall I take the anti depressants or not.  I have tried around six medications over the years and have yet to find one that works.

I bumped into a friend of mine over the weekend and to my surprise I found out that she has been bipolar for around twenty years!  she has been to many doctors, naturopaths, therapists etc and she said that the supplements that worked best for her was a concoction of Vitamin B12 (oral), magnesium citrate and fish oil.  

Taking her advise I went out and bought the recommendations. In the last week I have felt more alive and free than I have in 19 years!!  I am so happy and finally feel I can beat this thing for good.

Hi All,

I just got I B12 shot and I went on the Internet to find infos. I found this page, I worry now about it. Too much B12 ? Problem here ?http://nfkb0.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/hypervitaminoseB12-bis.pdf
As long as your being monitored by your dr, you will not have anything to be worried about. I get retested every 5 months. I was very, very deficient in Vit B, Vit D and iron. I take Vit B12 injections monthly now, prescription Vit D and OTC iron. They all help a lot but I noticed the biggest diff from the Vit D. I think all people suffering from depression should get these levels checked. They may in fact not need to be on meds if they are deficient in these supplements. People talk highly about magnesium too but I have not tried that. My dr would also like me to try Deplin (a breakdown of folic acid). It is a prescription. I said, one thing at a time as we have been trying diff meds for my bipolar.
Hello
Thank you for your response. I hope you gonna get better soon. I think the author of this article did not get my message...as it was written in 2008...I wonder if he is still injecting itself and if he is in good health now...
Even if the author is gone, there will still be readers who this information can help. I wish you well.
Hello, I am in canada, in victoria bc and am wondering if you need a prescription to even get the needles and b12? My email is ***@****, it would be awesome if you could help me out with this. I can't stand how most doctors look over things and only care about money and I say this because the doctor I saw said I have gastritis, through an endoscopy without testing me for b12 levels. He said I do not have H pylori, though but did not say it was autoimmune which I am assuming is the other kind which will cause b12 loss. I have b12 pills and they do not do anything. Was wondering if I could get them at say shoppers drug mart Otc without seeing a doctor first? The doctors told me they refuse to test me here, they are free doctors and they wrote down (the therapist I saw did) that I have delusional disorder...so now every doctor who reads my chart will think "Shes just got anxiety and she makes stuff up in her mind' Because their tests suck anyway for hypoglycemia which I think I have because every food I eat basically my stomach gnaws, I end up feelingn like I am in a coma within 20 minutes depending on how high the carb or sugar content is. Then the next day I feel like death himself and I have suicidal thoughts like crazy. It is also hard to actually feel my skin like I have a lost sense of touch and if I wait too long to eat, my face gets tingly all over and I end up having a panic attack. I cannot tolerate white rice, refined sugar, daiy, gluten any of it yet I crave it I jusst went vegan, too which means my b12 is probably going to go lower :(
I live in the US. The Vit B is a prescription from your dr. It is a liquid form. That's the only way I know to get it. I just go to the pharmacist to purchase the needles. They are about 15 cents each. I ask for the smallest size needle. They give you the details to administer it. I administer mine once a month. If none of this will work for you, you can try the liquid form by mouth, OTC and see if that works better than the pills. You probably have to go to a health food store or order a good brand on line. You mentioned your stomache issues. Have you ever looked into Celiac Disease. The food elimination is basically what your doing but very strict. If you look it up on line you will get the info you need.
Just to add some useful information here there is a very good B12 methylation FAQ here,

http://howirecovered.com/active-b12-therapy-faq/

Some with ME/CFS have been working on this for a long time, it is all quite complex but well worth trying to understand. Of course it only applies to some people, just as it will likely only apply to some people with depression but those  it does work for likely have the same gene mutations as those with the same problem with ME/CFS (MTHFR, MTR, MTRR, MTS and/or SHMT mutations). Anyone with psychologically unexplained long term depression should get a genetic test ($100 23andme) to see if they have these mutations because if you do you will not be processing certain nutrients properly and have methylation issues.

The drug company merck even patented l-methylfolate, which is nothing but a twist on a basic supplement and has been prescribing as 'complimentary' therapy for depression, of course they had no interest in researching or getting to the bottom of why this works for some people (genetic mutation and impaired folate processing).

It can also take a fair bit of time trial and error to see if these supplement cycles are helpful, many can have negative reactions in the beginning but one should not be deterred by this, can be a sign of kick starting.

A large proportion of the population is also getting folic acid in their diets which is depleting B12 and not even knowing it while standard tests are totally unreliable, as the above article explains given how many forms of B12 actually exist.
Thanks for your post. I just discovered myself that mega doses of VIT B complex in a pill instantly lift my mood within an hour or 2 and lasts the whole day. As soon as I stop, depressed mood comes back. I have been depressed most my life and only made this discovery now, in my middle age. I will experiment more to figure out which specific vitamin is helping. I heard that B6, B12, and folate can be potentially helpful. Maybe one has to take them all together? Now, I improved my diet tremendously and exercise now, but haven't lost any weight yet. I have been taking Vit D for a long time as I had deficiency of that. Maybe the B vitamins were the only missing link in the whole self-treatment?
buzzykerbox,
Thanks for the link and the wealth of info on B12. This is so much info and so new to me, it will take me forever to digest it. However, it reinforced my sneaking suspicion that the mercury amalgam dental filling are not inert. I went ahead and searched medical literature for mercury and Alzheimer's disease and the scientific evidence is striking. Too bad ADA is playing politics with the science denying it to the end.

Mercury may play a role in depression as well as mercury blocks transport of active B12 to brain. We know for a fact that B12 deficiency causes depression and dementia. The twist is few people (and none of the MDs) know that one can have normal serum B12 yet low B12 in CSF. They only test B12 in CSF in Sweden to my knowledge (one of few countries that banned mercury amalgam dental filling BTW).

But, coming back to my previous post, there is no way I can know for sure that B12 is what helps me recently. I read the ingredients of the magic B Complex 50 pill and it also contains inositol, PABA, and choline in addition to mega doses of Vitamins B.
Update:
I experimented and substituted pure B12 (1000mcg) for the mega B complex for a few days. Clearly diminished mood. Went back on B complex again and things were OK until I relapsed and had some gluten in the last couple of days. I have been gluten free for some time and it helped tremendously. I do not have celiac disease. Today I have fog in my brain and very tired. Need to wait till the gluten gets out from my system.

I know it would be easier to just take a SSII pill to make myself feel better (I have done it for several years in the past), but I's more important to get to the bottom of the course of the disease and not just mask the symptoms.

My problem is so called atypical depression, so not a mainstream case.
Hi Jack.

Never would have seen these replies but just happened to find this page again from a google search.

Another link I should have provided for people is,
(link removed)
All the stickies there are relevant information and with methylation protocols.

You really need to get your B12 from injections or sublingual methylcobalamin, which has to sit inbetween your cheek and gum for like an hour, not as hard as it seems.

If anyone has suffered psychologically unexplained depression for some time it would certainly be worth finding a doctor who knows methylation and could look over your genetic profile. It is likely a whole subset of people with mental illness have methylation issues, like it appears the OP here did/does, but medicine is just not there yet, genetic profiles seem far from being standard practice. It also seems likely that big pharma companies might not want people curing their issues with vitamins neither, unless they can patent versions lol

gl all.
Swollentoe commented on photo
49 mins ago
Deeply_Disturbed commented on Reoccurring BV
1 hr ago
Camrin24 added the Water Consumption Tracker