Depression Community
How do I make the switch from Cymbalto to Prozac

A community of people suffering from Depression to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, counseling, and other management.

I want to know if anyone has switched safely from Cymbalta to Prozac? I was previously on Prozac for a couple of years and my dr. & I believed that it had stopped being as effective. I changed to Cymbalta with great results. However, I am starting to believe that it is no longer working and am considering changing back to Prozac.

Has anyone else had trouble with the drugs effects tapering off like that? And if so, how do I go about safely making the change?
Tags: prozac
it can happen yes that these kind of meds stop working for you.why go back to prozac if it didnt work for you anymore?I believe if theyre both ssri's you can swith from one day to the next.lily
By rxlynn

To agree with lilymoon, and add some 2 cents, the literature is filed with studies re: antidepressants which were once effective sometimes seem to wear off.  As lilymoon notes, both Prozac and Cymbalta are SSRI's.  Prozac is longer acting (though both are taken daily); this is what is known as the half-life of a drug.  For Prozac, the half life is 4-6 days. (it generally takes 5 half lives for a drug to clear your body); for Cymbalta the half life is 12 hours.  So theoretically Cymbalta would be out of your system in about 3 days.  I always advocate letting your doctor know about changing, especially since they should have it in your records (or at least let their staff know so the Dr. can talk to you).
Hope this was helpful to you.  
Talk to your doctor about how best to do this.
I changed from cymbalta to prozac.  Cymbalta has terrible side effects and withdrawal symptoms.  You must use caution when changing.  With my doctor's guidance (and my research) this is what i did to make the change:  For the first three days, remove two (2) grains of medication from the capsule.  The next three (3) days, remove 4 grains from the capsule.  The next three (3) days, remove 6 grains from the capsule; and so on until you are off the medication.  It is NOT out of your system in 3 days.  During this time, I also started Prozac at a low dose and it was gradually increased.  Cymbalta will be in your system for a while after you have finised so do not be surprised if you still have effects from it until it is clear.  In the past I had been on prozac for 5 years but found this did not work for me again.  After much research and with my doctor I switched to Pristiq.  So far, I am much happier.  It does not seem to help with anxiety but overall, I am glad I tried it.  Minimal side effects for me in the beginning.  But at the end of the 2nd week (as most other individuals mentioned) it seemed to kick in and I could feel a decided difference.  Good luck.  
Individuals with social phobia have...
15 hrs ago by gymdandee
ScorpionKing8 commented on HIV and ORAL SEX: The...
Jul 02
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
Jul 01
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time