Depression Community
How to get off Prozac safely?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

How to get off Prozac safely?

I have been on Prozac for the last six years. I am beginning to have very uncomfortable side effects and would like to stop taking it. I would appreciate your guidance in how to quit with the least withdrawal symptoms possible. Also, should I be taking any milder substitute during withdrawal to avoid severe depression ?
Thank you very much for your help.
First go to your doctor with your concerns. discuss weaning off the med and what you should do.you should never stop your meds with out your doc knowing and this comes from someone who has done this and no good came out of it.
Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Love Venora
I agree with Venora, go to your doctor and let them know your concerns and they will help you determine the best method of going off Paxil. The key is to TAPER OFF slowly. It took me a year to finally get off but that included several failed attempts. Some people, I think most, can't go from say 20 mg, to 10 mg, to 5 mg, to nothing. You will still get the withdrawals even going as low as 5 mg or even 2.5. I had to taper down like I said above but then I also had to take tiny bits off, probably less then .05 of a mg until finally I was able to just stop. I did start a new drug eventually too but I was down to my tiny bits by then. Unfortunately the drug I switched to is no longer on the market due to some serious side effects with kidney troubles in some patients but there are some that may help you like Wellbutrin. The best thing to do is check with your doctor. But take the advice of not just stopping or changing it on your own because you will FOR SURE have withdrawals and they are not fun.
ive been on prozac (fluoxetine) for about 3 years now i first started on seroxat and then tried too go go cold turky,like other people have said it was a nightmare i couldnt stop crying i thought i was going mad basicly.i have no advice from the docs all the time i have been on the meds of how to get of them.i started of on 20mg a day and for the past few months ive been taking 1 every 2 days not been feeling two bad get the odd day where i feel realy low,then i think im doing the wrong thing by coming off them because i feel so ****.ive now started taking them every three days ive been feeling quite happy less anger my tempers not half as bad either but i dont no if im dragging the withdrawal out a bit to long or weather i would be better reducing the dose?????? ive had another low day to day 7/8/07 i feel like im loseing the plot again,i cant function at my job (selfemployed window cleaner) because i dont feel confident.i get the feeling some times that im going to be on them for the rest of my life and that scares me,ive no reason to be deppressed ive got everything i ever wanted,a wife and child and working for myself.so whats going wrong??????????.steel city surfer
Depression is a chemnical inablance in the brain.  The meds raise the seritonin  so you feel better These meds arent like an antibiotic that you take for a time and then you are done.So many start to feel better on them and then quit then the depression comes back.Its ok to be on the med for life especially if it gives you a good quality of life where with out them you wouldnt have one.
I am bi polar and I have been on my current meds for 6 years and I know that i must take them for the rest of my life but it a small thing compared to where I would be with out my meds and going to therapy.If you do decide to stop you meds discuss this with your doc and taper off slowly.
Have you been to therapy as well? also get proper rest diet and exercise.Something as simple as a 30 min brisk walk will raise those seritonin levels.
Let me know how you are
Love Venora
thankyou for your advice,ive been to the docs today and as i thought it was a waste of time,he basicly said that i looked depressed when i came thru the door.what aload of **** he has never seen me before how does he not if ive had a bad day at work or not.he said i should just carry on as i am one every three days for a few month then one every four days and so on,but he hasnt changed my dose or anything.he compared taking the meds to brushing your teeth i just came out feeling worse than when i went in.as i said before there should be no reason for me to be on them any more,i feel like it gives me false happiness and ive just had enough of it now i want to feel normal again.......whatever normal is.s c s
I must agree about your doc.How does he know unless he talks to you. Maybe think about changing docs to one who will work with you.I went through several docs before I found the one I am with now. Hang in there and if you want to talk I will listen.
Love Venora
I have been takeing 60 mg for over ten years, I cant even remember why although I did have a bad temper. I want to stop. verynhard time having an orgasam..
remar commented on photo
40 mins ago
lynnsee idk what to do Comment
1 hr ago
Emily_MHModerator hopes everyone is having a ... Comment