Depression Community
Is it unsafe to take ssri's (and other meds) irregularly?

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I take zoloft, invega, and lithium.

I often forget to take them. By taking my meds irregularly.. am I hurting myself?
Are the discontinuation symptoms the only bad thing about it? Can they be long term?
I think we can all say (those of us on meds) that we have on occasion forgaton to take our meds a time or two. If the happens just contine the next day as scheduled. Don't try to play catch up by double dosing the next day.

If what you mean is, "is it ok to stop taking them for several days?" then the answer would be yes, absolutly that can be bad. By doing that you risk a relaps of your condition that might otherwise not have occured.

It's not going to kill you, and most likly will not casue any permanent damage to you, but it will make you feel like garbage for sure.

It's best to stay consistant with your meds. The more consistant you are, the better your results will be. Like rliz mentioned, try utilizing a medication organizer. You can purchase one at any drug store for a couple bucks. I use one and it helps me to remember if I took my medication or forgot. I load it up every Sunday and good to go for the week.
Thanks guys. :-)
KTowne commented on Des_a_rae's status
1 hr ago
50-Year Cover-Up
11 hrs ago by gymdandee
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time