Depression Community
Is this related to depression?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Is this related to depression?

Hello All,

I am ashamed of my problem but I felt like I had to ask. I had always been a neat and clean person but (I think) due to my anxiety and depression in the past 2 years, that has started to change gradually. I have seen both a social worker and a psychiatrist but there is one thing that is very hard to talk about and that thing is the change in hygiene. My house has never been this messy. I just don't understand what happened to me because I never had this problem in the past and now it seems like it takes me days to do what I used to be able to do in 10 minutes in the past. Am I right that this is due to my depression/anxiety and my thoughts are not allowing me to concentrate on cleaning? Or the decline in hygiene and cleanliness may be a sign of some other illness? I do not think this is simple laziness, I was never like this. Do you have any suggestions how I could change this? Thank you.  
I have PCOS and sleep apnea too. I don't know if it is related to these.
When we are depressed everything is so much more difficult.  Don't beat yourself up about things not being as tidy as they were in the past.  

Everything is an effort when we have depression.  Do what you can, when you can.  You cannot ask more of yourself than that.  

I am sure you have no other illness that would make you like that.  Some people have great problems with personal care when they have depression.  It is just one aspect of the illoness.  I keep myself clean and groomed, and do the housework when I feel like it.  A little at a time.  My house is not a mess, neither is it spick and span.  I bet your house is nice and clean and neat.  Please do not worry yourself about it.  Look after yourself.  That is the most important thing.

You are not lazy - you have depression/anxiety.  You do what you can, but please don't worry so much about the house. I am sure you are doing great.

Welcome to MedHelp and I do hope you find more help and friends here.  My opinion is my own of course.  I have had depression for many years, and I cope as best I can.  I am sure you are doing the same.
When I read your note, I knew how you felt....It is so difficult just to get through a 24 hour period, that the house, clothes, and yard work
just do not get done.  The tired ness is like falling into quicksand, its
futile to fight it, and a nap always sounds like a good idea to me.....I would tell myself that when I woke up I would do something, something small maybe, and then when I woke up, the guilt I felt for sleeping kept me feeling bad.  And where to start if I was going to do something....Do you start at the top of the room where no one looks, or do you nix the dusting and maybe vacumn and now I am too tired to do anything cause in my mind I already did it and its nap time after a few cookies perhaps.....

Welcome to the forum, just wanted you to know that you are not alone here or even when you are not on line......There are lots of people who suffer with the Depression and hope to see you here soon....

M
I have been told I am suffering from depression...I am not sure if I am in denial or maybe dealing with a weird type of depression...or maybe just defeated..IDK but I too have been really struggling...it seems to go in cycles.Sometimes I feel great,  its usually a 2 week cycle it seems...when I'm feeling up everything gets tidied back up and im on task with things and everything seems great...then the next 2 weeks everything gets completely jumbled I feel swamped and tired and just emotional. I don't know if this is depression, or hormones, or if I am just a wreck ha ha.  I do have a high stress life. I have a son with a behavior disorder which is super hard to take care of, and my marriage is far from what if used to be. I have been suggested by my dr to start anti depressants but I am so afraid of the meds.  But back to your thing...yes I feel you...its hard to work up the energy to do the things you know you should do let alone the things you should be doing with out thought.
Most definitely the things you describe are common with depression.  I know when I'm feeling more depressed, I have ZERO motivation, even to do the simplest things, like showering, cleaning the house, paying the bills.  It IS sometimes a chore to get ourselves motivated to do these things.  I can totally relate, as can others.

The thing is, usually, once you've pushed yourself a little bit to get these tasks done, you feel better.  You feel a sense of accomplishment, and it can lift your spirits, even a little.  I love that clean, fresh, out of the shower feeling.  Sometimes just getting a nice hot bath or shower can do wonders for your mood...you just have to push yourself a little bit to get it done.

Dealing with depression involves a good bit of pushing yourself, even when you don't want to.  That isn't to say you have to do everything all at once, but a little bit each day will leave you feeling less overwhelmed, especially when it comes to things like housework.  Pick a time of the day you like to shower, and stick to a routine.  Don't let yourself procrastinate.  Hygeine is very important, in so many ways.  Even on your bad days, you must find the energy and motivation to take care of your body, by showering and brushing your teeth.  You don't have to dress to the nines, but being clean is a must.  Some days, make an effort to put on nicer clothes, do your make-up and hair.  Silly things like that will give your self confidence a real boost.  The more and more you get into the habbit of taking the effort to make yourself look a little nicer, the better you will feel.

You'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel by pushing yourself to do a little bit every day.  I'll put off my housework until it gets overwhelming, and of course all that does is make me feel worse.  I feel so good about myself when I can keep up with it....and even do a little more than I had planned.

What are you doing to address the depression and anxiety?  Are you working with a therapist?  Take any medication?  If not, I strongly urge you to reach out to a professional.  Depression is nothing to be ashamed of...it requires the help of a professional in many cases.

You need to do whatever it takes to start turning things around.  Reaching out here was an awesome first step!  Please keep us updated!
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
1 hr ago
nursegirl6572 commented on nursegirl6572's status
1 hr ago
TinaR10 commented on OctoberMommy2014's status